Kenshi - A Sandbox RPG

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Stone isn't like metals, it doesn't have a specific world representation to click on, you just throw a quarry down and check the stone quality and then your guys mine your quarry

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
You want to rebuild the local sector. This will clean up a lot of weird pathing issues and spots that seem like they should be accessible but aren't.
Man I played 100s of hours and I never knew this. I really wish I had done this!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Finally got a base up and running with a walled perimeter.
I just realized last night that I don't have to add a job for people to drop resources off or pick them up from a nearby chest.

It's getting the industrial/crafting lines up and running. Definitely seems buggier in a custom base though. I had to reload a save a few times

Caliane

dropping off, and picking up is automatic. but assigning it, lets it have a priority level.
inventory lock is often an issue. Make sure they have backpacks so they can haul better. esp stuff like wheat, water, 2h weapons that take up alot, or more space then inventory allows.

and in general.. there are quite a few bugs still.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Stone isn't like metals, it doesn't have a specific world representation to click on, you just throw a quarry down and check the stone quality and then your guys mine your quarry
I have actually seen a few stone piles that you can mine like metals. Near the Holy Mines. I'm not sure yet if the map is randomly generated, as I just started playing yesterday. Perhaps it's new?

1640373218534.png

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Man I played 100s of hours and I never knew this. I really wish I had done this!
The secret to this. Once you've rebuilt the mesh/ fixed your problem, the next time that area is unloaded. (Like when you switch to a party member across the map.) it should ask you if you want to save the changes made to the map. Select yes and the issue should be resolved for the rest of that game.

I built a base on what is possibly the best spot I have ever found, but it straddled two zones and people were hitting a wall when trying to walk across flat ground into the other zone.

Got it working fine now which is awesome as the one spot I couldn't get to is where I am growing all my food.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Map is 100% static unless modded; though to be honest I don't think I've ever stopped to do any resource gathering when I'm running around murdering the holy nation, so possible it's just not a common thing? Either way, I don't think I've ever seen a gatherable stone node.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

This dude is pretty good and versed with this game if you just want to watch. He also explains shit as hes going so its not only a fun watch but educational about the game.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Even with a fully decked out army consisting of 16 guys in top level armor and 40+ weapon skills and 12 man squad with 6 guys who are martial arts 70+ the Ashlands just got done kicking my ass this past week. Just gave up trying to raid the tougher domes for loot because the thralls are just too tough but I did manage to stealth in and kidnap Mad Cat Lon so I've got a new martial arts training dummy as long as I can get back across the world alive. Got jumped by a group of probably 24 land bats in the canyons in Stobe's Gamble and giant groups of Western Hivers are everywhere.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

This dude is pretty good and versed with this game if you just want to watch. He also explains shit as hes going so its not only a fun watch but educational about the game.
I think I have watched like 10+ hours of this guy playing? He's really good, knows the game extensively from at least one previous play and has a great manner. Seemingly has a number of games he is playing at the moment. Thanks for highlighting him on both fronts.

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I ended up abandoning my 1st base because the 3x iron nodes I had were on the side of a cliff and had fucked up pathing issues no matter how I tried to encircle it with a wall.

Got a new one up and running and it seems to be running well. I have 2 iron nodes that can handle 5 workers that isn't quite able to keep up with needs, but it seems close and I'm hoping some of the tech research will fix that. The only copper node I have nearby is outside of my walls and has a really long path to get there, so I don't have a good option for that. Luckily I don't need too much of it.

I'm doing cactus & chewsticks for food and that finally seems to be keeping up ok with needs.

Alright, now my tech advancement is at a roadblock because I need ancient books. Should I go find somewhere to buy them or can I farm them somewhere? I have 27 people total with 6 of them that have combat skills in the 40s and "well equipped". Am I good to take these dudes marauding?

edit: and I'm trying to keep my base well guarded at all times because I walk away from the computer all the damn time and I'm always going to miss an event or attack if it shows up (also because I run the game at the max speed while afk). I saved the game right before bed last night and left it running overnight, thinking I was going to come back to everyone dead. But all was good except for 1 fighter that died and 1 robot-leg gimp that I can't repair yet.

And this made me LOL

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Godamnitt. I stayed up until 1am playing this and I'm pooped this morning. Haven't done that in a long time. Daddy needs his damn ancient books.

Caliane

I ended up abandoning my 1st base because the 3x iron nodes I had were on the side of a cliff and had fucked up pathing issues no matter how I tried to encircle it with a wall.

Got a new one up and running and it seems to be running well. I have 2 iron nodes that can handle 5 workers that isn't quite able to keep up with needs, but it seems close and I'm hoping some of the tech research will fix that. The only copper node I have nearby is outside of my walls and has a really long path to get there, so I don't have a good option for that. Luckily I don't need too much of it.

I'm doing cactus & chewsticks for food and that finally seems to be keeping up ok with needs.

Alright, now my tech advancement is at a roadblock because I need ancient books. Should I go find somewhere to buy them or can I farm them somewhere? I have 27 people total with 6 of them that have combat skills in the 40s and "well equipped". Am I good to take these dudes marauding?

edit: and I'm trying to keep my base well guarded at all times because I walk away from the computer all the damn time and I'm always going to miss an event or attack if it shows up (also because I run the game at the max speed while afk). I saved the game right before bed last night and left it running overnight, thinking I was going to come back to everyone dead. But all was good except for 1 fighter that died and 1 robot-leg gimp that I can't repair yet.
Usually a single iron/copper node is enough. unless you got really low quality ones? my current base has 1 iron node with 2 iron refinery's going off it alone.
yeah, things get much more efficient as you go. units get higher labor skill so are faster, and upgraded refinery's work faster with less workers. you can start pulling them off that, and put them on turret duty.

upgrade to dustwichs when you can. less inventory space per Nutrition. and more efficient with the crops as well. put a food storage next to your kitchen, then a second one nearby your outer gate. (medicrate there as well.) units have an annoying habit of unloading food, sleeping bags, splits, aid kits when they return to base. having storage near the gate, so you can select your squad, turn off jobs, and form up at the gates. Then, pull food/supplies from the nearby storage, is nice.

ancient science books, engineering research, and A.I. Cores, are primarily found in long lost ruins. particularly labs. yeah, form a squad, go explore the wilderness. (bring food, a pack animal, and sleeping bags.) bars, etc often have maps you can buy to reveal the locations of ruins. there are a couple special locations you have a chance to buy them. World's end, the tech hunter capital. may have one or two. they can be bought once, and don't restock.
most of the other special items you find, are vendor trash. cpu units, etc. some of the robotics stuff is used for robotics, and craftable. so can be kept for later, or sold.

t2 gate, and 6 t2+ mounted xbows facing the gate, should hold off most basic attacks. turrets get range and damage bonuses for height. so, on tall buildings next to the walls is even better then on the walls itself.
most attacks on your base will be humans or animals. Wakizashi are great for base defense. naginata katana as well. Sabers not bad either. Armor priority. merc armor, or drifters leather, samurai cloth pants, wooden sandles, straw/rattan or iron hats. leather turtlenecks.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Godamnitt. I stayed up until 1am playing this and I'm pooped this morning. Haven't done that in a long time. Daddy needs his damn ancient books.

Last I played, shortly before release, I used a two man team of rogues to sneak a bunch of books, cores, and engi research. I had to babysit the team, the whole way up north, but I only really had trouble with fogmen (hard to avoid their territory from where my base was). The fastest guys could outrun cannibals, and most monsters can be spotted before they agro you (base was north of the swamp, so avoided blood spider carnage).

When getting to a POI, leave one guy hiding outside. If your inside guy gets spotted by the spider bots, run, and they will usually stop giving chase before they catch you. If you get caught, the second man can come save the first, when the bots wander home. If the first man gets away, then the second man in hiding can run in and steal shit while the bots are walking back.

Weight was a bit of problem, but I think I found a place to store extras in the northern town, and it became the treasure hunting base of operations.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure what works any more, since that was all years ago. Also, memory might not be 100% on it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just realized I had made almost the same post like 3 years ago:

The key to getting the research materials (it will take f'n -weeks- to research with just you to get everything) after you run into the ancient books, engineering manuals, and AI cores, you can train your guy to basically be super ninja thief crossbow wizard. What you do, is run around encumbered to get your Str up (might already be; 40 is decent) then get athletics up super high (70/80s) as well as your stealth (not as high, but high) and go around equipping all the +stealth shit you can, that doesn't have major athletics negatives. Go to that scrap town or one of the other "out of the way" places that aren't near the newblar starting areas (That place in the fogman mists way up north tends to be decent) and get yourself a good crossbow. The sniper ones are good, but with what you're doing they actually take longer to kill things with and level up because of the long reload times) Something that uses regular bolts is probably fine; that's what I did.

Once you have that, and your stealth is capped or near cap, go around hunting ancient ruins. You'll need some pretty high lockpicking (but you're a thief; may not matter at this point) or to keep a couple of "Tools" on you (they show up a lot at the ancient ruins/libraries in my experience) and begin to pillage the world. The robot spiders and shit that will chase you around move slowly and you can easily kite them to death, even at low skill. You'll get past the manual/ancient book phase pretty quickly (except when you get back and have to research for a week IRL time straight). Then, you go to ashlands and raid the skeleton hives for the AI cores. Can easily be done with one character, and there's plenty of greater than 100% stealth gear out there to go from even a score in the 60s up to 100 (cap). This has the added benefit, if you are very high on athletics as well, as having you move -faster- than you can normally running while in stealth. Straight up anime-ninja-arms-to-the-sides shit.

I have a full city doing all the normal city things, but a straight up cold blooded ninja that I send out to collect research materials. Haven't done any of the cool boss kills really; got into sim-city lite and defending it from Christians and Ninja-Thieves has been pretty fun.

Last edited:
  • 1Like