Kenshi - A Sandbox RPG

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Do skills like Katana, Martial Arts, etc not raise with training dummies at all? Only through combat?

IIRC more than one tier of training dummy +diminishing returns. You max out on dummies pretty quick.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I might give this a go
1640190447805.png

Caliane

skill caps on training items are so low, imho, they are totally useless. in theory they might have use to get new recruits up to speed, with old guard, in an established base.... but, just giving them good armor, and sending them in to fight with the rest of the group versus real enemies works just as good imho.

uh, and yeah, I think actual WEAPON skills do not skill up with dummys, just attack skill.

one thing to note about skill gain. skill gain is relative to final value.
like say, you have 50 martial arts skill, but then wear samurai armor, which reduces your skill to 40. when you fight, you skill up as if you only had 40. so, get more exp, when fighting foes with equal or higher skill. so intentionally penalizing yourself will make you skill up faster. this is doubly so with good armor. as skilling up exp is based on time in combat, not a per kill basis. intentionally giving yourself the worst weapons, so the fight lasts longer, will give you more skill ups.

• 1Like

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Do skills like Katana, Martial Arts, etc not raise with training dummies at all? Only through combat?
Training dummies only do melee attack in 5 level increments. A level 3 dummy can get you to 15 but those last few points will take a day or two.

The rate of skill increase depends on the difference in skill level with your target. Find a target with really high stats and you'll get 25% of a level per swing.

Handicapping yourself can let you gain skills off of enemies faster.

Equipping items like the large backpack and various heavy armors and overloading the character will reduce your melee attack skill. Equip a low damage weapon and go fight. You will see big skill jumps.

It helps to do this kind of training before you do any strength training since strength will increase your damage and knock out your target faster. This mostly applies to fighting low level enemies like dust bandits.

The ultimate training regiment involves capturing high level targets, trapping then in a house/ prisoner cell and beating the shit of of them over and over. It's basically the only reliable way to increase combat stats after a certain point.

My favorite victim for this kind of sadism is a particular giant white gorillo. Super high stats, regens fast, pile of hp, easy to get to. Don't loot it if you knock it out a that will kill it.

Only do this of you want to over level content though, your stats will be crazy in no time.

EDIT* was beat to the punch by Caliane by mere seconds.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Well shit, I guess I'll stop hunting around for higher level training dummies then. I kinda just want to get to the base building/tower defense/imperial genocide point now so I may take a dip into the thievery "cheesing" I've been hearing about to outfit my guys.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
If you want to make lots of cats fast. Sell drugs. Venture into the swamp with at least 10k cats. Buy all the hash. Run to various united cities to sell it at 400% mark up.

Tech hunters love this shit. Can create a lot of fun moments trying to smuggle stuff/ outrun wildlife.

Smithing is eventually the way to produce lots of high level armor. Weapons are harder to produce.

Or start the base and make your own hash and sell that. Gotta figure out what environment you need to grow the hemp.

Jumping into base building with like 10 people in the 20s for skills isn't terrible if your in a low level zone.

• 1Like

Caliane

yeah, if you are at the base stage, you can swap to weapon/armor crafting for a more legit means to outfit yourself, and make huge profits.
katanas in particular have high profit margins on time+materials=sell value, and take up very little inventory space. I don't mess around with drugs, etc. I just sell weapons.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
In my first game, before I knew shit about fuck, I took about 10 dudes and made a "base" in Holy Nation territory. That was a fuckin' hoot...

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I never tried any of the big world patches back when I was playing a lot. Most of them had bad memory leaks, but a lot has happened community wise since then by the looks of the steam page.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Figured I'd try setting up a base tonight. Lost 75% of my fellas on the way there. Save-scummed 3 more times aiming for different locations, got wiped out every time. Apparently farming iron & copper for 4 days doesn't prepare you for the wastelands.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Ah yes. The getting your ass kicked part of kenshi. Be careful of Wild life. Animals are scary in this game because some of them just eat you once you're down.

If things are still rough try buying a house in a town. You can click on buildings and the ones for sale have a price tag in the lower left.

From there build a research bench and just research everything you can. This will require books, ancient science books, and eventually engineer designs and ai cores.

These items can be purchased from tech hunter shops/general stores or found in the wild forgotten places of the world.

For just barely getting your crew going it is helpful to have a few people taunt and block to focus enemy attacks and then take the rest of your people and focus down one enemy at a time. I still use this technique when shit gets hairy.

Also, wooden sandals + being weightless for encumbrance + having 40 or so athletics will let you outrun most threats. Managing a squad to make sure they're are no slow pokes takes a little effort but ensures that you can flee when needed.

I started my own base last night as well. Remembered some things.

Prospecting the location is important. Looking for decent resources is key. Green environment let's you grow most things, arid is limited to cactus I think.

Water is important for farming, stone for building structures, iron for building industry and copper for building tech.

Copper is rare and not 100% necessary in large quantities for a base if you aren't going heavy into tech. But it's definitely awesome to have on hand.

If you are going the house route you can build a mining operation just outside town to process what you mine. It will count as a base, don't bother trying to protect it or build any walls Just run when raids show up.

Once you find a spot. Press shift+f12. This brings up a command consol. There are cheats and other things in here but a lot of the time you can break your save if you're not careful. What you are looking for is the navmesh.

You want to rebuild the local sector. This will clean up a lot of weird pathing issues and spots that seem like they should be accessible but aren't.

Also if you designate a structure to be built in an area your people can't get to and you now want to remove that building frame/ blueprint but can't get anyone close enough to dismantle it. Shift+f12 select the structure and press delete.

Lots of other little things but one last thing. When you build processors and other machines like benches. Make sure they are well lit near the access points with torches or lamps. Working in the dark reduces efficiency. Hiver lanterns are great as they are light sources that follow your worker around.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ah yes. The getting your ass kicked part of kenshi. Be careful of Wild life. Animals are scary in this game because some of them just eat you once you're down.

If things are still rough try buying a house in a town. You can click on buildings and the ones for sale have a price tag in the lower left.

From there build a research bench and just research everything you can. This will require books, ancient science books, and eventually engineer designs and ai cores.

These items can be purchased from tech hunter shops/general stores or found in the wild forgotten places of the world.

For just barely getting your crew going it is helpful to have a few people taunt and block to focus enemy attacks and then take the rest of your people and focus down one enemy at a time. I still use this technique when shit gets hairy.

Also, wooden sandals + being weightless for encumbrance + having 40 or so athletics will let you outrun most threats. Managing a squad to make sure they're are no slow pokes takes a little effort but ensures that you can flee when needed.

I started my own base last night as well. Remembered some things.

Prospecting the location is important. Looking for decent resources is key. Green environment let's you grow most things, arid is limited to cactus I think.

Water is important for farming, stone for building structures, iron for building industry and copper for building tech.

Copper is rare and not 100% necessary in large quantities for a base if you aren't going heavy into tech. But it's definitely awesome to have on hand.

If you are going the house route you can build a mining operation just outside town to process what you mine. It will count as a base, don't bother trying to protect it or build any walls Just run when raids show up.

Once you find a spot. Press shift+f12. This brings up a command consol. There are cheats and other things in here but a lot of the time you can break your save if you're not careful. What you are looking for is the navmesh.

You want to rebuild the local sector. This will clean up a lot of weird pathing issues and spots that seem like they should be accessible but aren't.

Also if you designate a structure to be built in an area your people can't get to and you now want to remove that building frame/ blueprint but can't get anyone close enough to dismantle it. Shift+f12 select the structure and press delete.

Lots of other little things but one last thing. When you build processors and other machines like benches. Make sure they are well lit near the access points with torches or lamps. Working in the dark reduces efficiency. Hiver lanterns are great as they are light sources that follow your worker around.
I think the best advice you can give to newcomers to kenshi is to not read how to play the game. At its core it's a puzzle game that once understood becomes trivial to play.

So, my recommendation to anyone looking to play is ignore all this long drawn out explanation and choose your own adventure! Or read it and follow step by step, your choice, brothers!!!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think the best advice you can give to newcomers to kenshi is to not read how to play the game. At its core it's a puzzle game that once understood becomes trivial to play.

So, my recommendation to anyone looking to play is ignore all this long drawn out explanation and choose your own adventure! Or read it and follow step by step, your choice, brothers!!!
I just want to find twenty Swords of Infinite Slaying so I can crush the cunts that keep fucking with me when I'm trying to start a base. Then I'll work on figuring it out as I go...

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, I'm really thankful I didn't go read up a bunch on Kenshi or watch a bunch of "ABSOLUTE BEST SPOT TO BUILD BASE!!!" tutorials and shit when I started. Hell, even after 3 games there's still a fuckload of shit I haven't discovered/seen in the game.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Fair point. I remember finding out the hard way on just about everything and having fun doing it.

The base building tips are just pure aggravation savers though. Especially that navmesh thing.

I guess the only question for bandwagon is... when you say you lost 75% of your guys... were they listed as dead or just knocked out.

Because if they were just knocked out... that's valuable progress.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Fair point. I remember finding out the hard way on just about everything and having fun doing it.

The base building tips are just pure aggravation savers though. Especially that navmesh thing.

I guess the only question for bandwagon is... when you say you lost 75% of your guys... were they listed as dead or just knocked out.

Because if they were just knocked out... that's valuable progress.
Half of them were knocked out. I remember that specifically because I had exactly the right amount of upright people to pick up everyone else. I was in the process of hauling them back to town when I got ambushed again and only had 3 people left upright. Did that a few more times before I just laughed and alt-f4

Caliane

shit, carrying your broken team back to a waystation with one leg, while getting beat down 3 more times on the way, is half the game.

• 1Worf