Kenshi - A Sandbox RPG

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I got a new computer and decided to give Kenshi another run. It's been twoish years since the last time I played it.

I went with cannibal hunters start. I figured that would force me to remember how to do things quick.

It was a mess. Both of my characters get knocked out, one is dying from a serious gut wound. Both get locked into cages.

One character wakes up, watching their friend bleed out two cages over.

I frantically try and remember commands, realize right click does everything, and start picking the lock to my cage... except I suck at it.

While I am trying to free myself more people are getting thrown into cages. The guy next to me starts screaming as a cannibal proceeds to beat him to death while still locked in his cage. Then the cannibal takes the body over to the roasting pit.

I realize I am next up on the menu. Friend is still dying from a gut wound. A large Cannibal approaches me with a hungry glint in their eye... I figure this is it, I am going to get knocked out and eaten alive and friend will bleed out never knowing their fate, the lucky bastard..

Just then a huge shadow looms over the cannibal and comes crashing down with a horrifying screech, ripping the cannibals arm off. A beak thing had attacked the camp.

Chaos ensued. I didn't waste any time and finally managed to pick the lock to my cage. I rush over to my friend and bandaged them up, moments from them dying.

I thought about getting out of there right then but my leg was shot and friend needed to heal. I saw some beds in a nearby shelter and decided it would be better to hide and heal then limp to an uncertain fate.

While resting another beak thing, screaming bandits, berserkers, and cannibal hunters all show up creating pockets of combat all over the place. I decide to start healing the enemies of my enemy, freeing people from cages and looting what treasures might be found in the camp.

I find some high end blackened chainmail and duster coat, a decent guardless katana, a bunch of bandages and some dried meat. I try not to think about what exactly the meat might be and proceed to leave. On my way out I notice three people following me, a shek named berserker, an ashlander cannibal hunter named stitch and crawling through the sand, a cannibal hunter named Zepp who was missing a leg. The berserker offers to join and the hunter runs off towards what appears to be the closest town, some place called Dead Cat. Zepp just laid there. I picked up my crippled friend and headed out, this was going to be great.

Couldn't have asked for a better reintroduction to Kenshi.
Sounds about right. The rough start is such an essential part of Kenshi, and the skills/stats you gain from it color and facilitate the rest of your adventure. Coming back to a cannibal camp and destroying it will *always* be satisfying because of the chaotic start you had.

They just came out with an update for Kenshi2. Going to be so sweet with Unreal instead of broke ass OGRE.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
also just bought this sweet shirt

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
You motherfuckers! I thought this was a big info drop about Kenshi 2. Kenshi is probably my favorite video game released in the past 10 years or so.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Thanks for the bump. I saw this game a year ago and was going to buy it and completely fucking forgot the name and its been annoying the shit out of me every time I tried to search for it. Have some time off over the Holidays, trying to decide to dive into this or Starsector; really want that RPG/Colony builder fix, last game I got really into with that was Rimworld and loved it but want something with more depth/complexity and I heard Kenshi was amazing with that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the bump. I saw this game a year ago and was going to buy it and completely fucking forgot the name and its been annoying the shit out of me every time I tried to search for it. Have some time off over the Holidays, trying to decide to dive into this or Starsector; really want that RPG/Colony builder fix, last game I got really into with that was Rimworld and loved it but want something with more depth/complexity and I heard Kenshi was amazing with that.
I fruitlessly put some 15 hours into starsector trying to make it fun. The combat is just too unsatisfying. Can only recommend kenshi.

• 2Like
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Knowing what I know about you and your preferences in games over various arguments/discussions, you're going to fucking love Kenshi.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
It's a great game. Playing with a single character is very dangerous if you are just learning. Having at least two party members helps mitigate the chances someone bleeds out.

This is important because getting your ass kicked is necessary to increase your skills. Keep struggling even if people die, as long as you have anyone alive you can keep going.

One early tip that isn't immediately apparent is the camping section of the build menu allows you to build camp beds, campfires and various tents if you purchase and learn their blueprints.

Having a few bedrolls and some fabric and at least one tent pattern learned can let you set up temporary bases to heal wounded characters and cook raw meat while in the wild.

Learning to camp is a critical skill for budget minded exploration in this game.

Caliane

I fruitlessly put some 15 hours into starsector trying to make it fun. The combat is just too unsatisfying. Can only recommend kenshi.
I kindof wondered what your verdict was on that. That you never posted about it, I did kindof figure you must not have liked it much in the end. The combat in starsector is real hard to wrap your head around for sure. Its complex, and deep.. but, also the allied A.I never seems to do what you want them to. And, the psuedo Newtonian physics makes it feel like the game is very unresponsive. People that like precise, crisp controls are def going to have issues enjoying it. I tend to just let auto-pilot go, and play tactically. Just about every attempt to manually pilot ends miserably. I do feel I do better with some of the larger ships.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Kenshi is a perfect game in the Biden era, you have to have a nihilistic sense of humor and a special kind of stubborn perseverance to even get going let alone build anything. Probably also a good training aid for becoming a Somali Warlord.

• 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The other thing about Kenshi that's incredible is knowing it was all done in Ogre. I can't even imagine how good it would've been with a better engine.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This game is my fuckin' jam. I love that I can que up jobs and then just walk away from the computer. Obviously I don't progress very much that way, but feels like I can get a nice nest egg of $$$ from mostly AFKing all day, then spend it on swords and shek hookers after everyone goes to bed at night.

I bought a house at the hub and built 10 iron and copper ore boxes next to the shop. All my guys except 2 sneaky medics are just out mining all day and I come back to the computer every once in awhile to sell real quick. Up to about $250k right now.

Is there any way to automated selling ore to the barkeep?

I've got most research from the I and II tables done and I just built the 3rd. It seems like I'm going to have to move out and start my own base pretty soon, but I'm guessing I won't be able to walk away from the computer as easily after that so I didn't start yet. Is there a good number to have saved up and recruits to have on hand before I start my own base?

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Is there a good number to have saved up and recruits to have on hand before I start my own base?

You don't need a ton of money and crew to build a solid base, mostly just need to research strongest level of wall / gate and mounted crossbows. Build your perimeter so it has a bit of a gauntlet coming to your door and 3-4 shooters can defend your castle from any invading hoarde. And then you can start corpse grinding and weapon recycling and caravans show up to trade with you.

Biggest thing about base building, Like all real estate is location location location. Spend a lot of time surveying as you travel, there are very few perfect spots with overlaping resource nodes. Also finding a spot with good topography matters. Kenshi gets buggy when building on uneven land, you can end up with holes in your perimeter you didn't notice and can't fix easily.

Collect a bunch of pack animals fill them to the brim with building materials and venture forth. Cooking farming becomes a big thing when you have a large populated base, can starve out if you don't have supply chain tweeked just right.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Caliane

starting a base: my recommend.

First, yeah, location. Location will need iron, copper, water(via prospect, not actually on the map), stone, and fertile, note the biome, so you know which crops you can grow first. Location will also reflect what shit attacks you... constantly. if you are in someones territory, they will demand tithe. UC wants money, holy city wants prayer, and tithe. cannibals want food.

you can buy a house, in town, and research up before going, as zapatta suggested. doing so, for at least the first few things, particularly walls, isn't a bad idea.

I would recommend 10-20 people. fighting skill 20+ for all. a pack animal or two.

bring at 20 building mats, and 12 iron plates. at least 42 of each crop type you want to grow. and that will take time, so 300 nu of food for each character, to save refill trips.
most will be needed to get a stone mine, and iron refinery going. + some extras to get other stuff. 2 of each plant type. you need 2 to research crops. (can be done before leaving again). on location 10 per small farm, +15 per higher tier. so ideally, 40 cactus to start a large cactus farm, for example, right away. same for cotton, wheat, etc.
3 men on stone mine/refine. 3 on iron. 2 on copper. 3 on farms. 1 on kitchen. 1 weapon smith. that round 1, while the rest guarding. later as you research, and grow,
4-6 on xbow turrets when ready. and 1 armor smith later. 1 medic/robotics/rescue. 1 science. 2 or two builders. a few of these can double duty a bit. and you'll probably have 2 kitchens and more farmers as it goes too. and note with upgrades, can pull people off the mines.

if you start too early. you can often tell everyone to sneak and hide in the back of the base. or leave it entirely. Most armies will "ransack" then leave. some do stay.. if they stay, theres a few options. build new xbow mounts, and try pulling them into them. or, have a stealth/assassination character go mug and grab bodies one by one.

Shop counters don't work.
if you build in populated areas, you do get visitors, and people that want to join. trade caravans will show up even in remote locations.

if you didnt notice, in pack animal bags, materials stack.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Keep track of what faction's territory that you are building in as well because they will be coming to collect tribute or to make sure that your squad is made up of the right race and sex. For the most part, the better locations with abundant fertility and water and metals are under the umbrella of the more powerful factions. Each region also, usually, has it's own specific bandit faction so watch out for that as well. The territories in the center and central west have a lot less dangerous bandits than the ones in the east and south. Take things slow once you're established and you start exploring, there is some really terrifying stuff out in the world

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So what I'm getting is, wait until I have an empty house for a weekend before starting to build a base.

I think that my guys have been leveling up their combat stuff just because I've been leaving them on automated mining and they occasionally get in scraps. I wasn't really paying attention to their stat numbers when I was half ass playing over the weekend, but that'll raise their combat skills as well, right? I know their strength and athletics have been going up, but wasn't really paying attention to anything else.

I might actually just make a side save tonight that I can go back to if I want, then venture out to try to start a base in Shem and see if I get butchered. I'm still getting wrecked in fights, but I thought it was more because 75% of my guys are just mining bitches with shit armor, not the stats themselves.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Faction status matters for bases, friendlies will send reinforcements to help fight off war parties heading your way. IIRC you can find Mercenary Capts in bars and pay them protection for that same service.

Shinobi Thieves are my Homies.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Quit making me want to start another game of this you faggot fucks. I ain't got the time!

Zaide

TLP Idealist
This shit is so good bro. I have literally never had a run I didn’t love.

They’ve been working on Kenshi 2 since they finished the first game and as of October they Lofi says it is “ahead of schedule” but won’t give any details on what that schedule is lmao. Also this one is apparently being made in Unreal Engine 4.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This shit is so good bro. I have literally never had a run I didn’t love.
No, I know it is. It's probably my favorite game of the last decade or so. I just don't have the time to start up another run and all you fuckers are giving me the itch.