Kenshi - A Sandbox RPG

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Have they added features or mods to make a sort of capital city? I'm trying to convince myself to play again but want to do something other than what I did when it came out. I made a cool base but not really a city with NPCs living in the walls, an economy, farmers etc etc. I'd really love to make my own faction.
There are a couple pieces in place to make the skeleton of this but it really doesn't operate like you're describing. The NPC visitors tries to add random citizens to your town but they kind of just wander around and then get pissed off when you won't let them out through the locked gates after a while. The economic side of this game was probably the only big disappointment for me since it looked like the devs were trying to get things in place to have it function a lot more dynamically but then shelved that pretty early on. Hope that they are able to pick that up again in Kenshi 2 and make it work because actually fighting to keep a trading post on a major route active seems like a whole new game of fun. Just stealing the caravan system rules from Mount & Blade 2 would add so much to this game.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I really hope Kenshi 2 allows you to be more involved in the NPC cities, or for your city to be more NPC centric. Would be a pretty massive change.

I have never used a mod for Kenshi; there's something about the vanilla experience that just feels... great.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
A global economy mod and “living cities” mod for Kenshi would be like the holy grail.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

I was contemplating the other day how much I wanted rimworld/oni/gnomoria style town building in kenshi.

the thing is, kenshi's a.i. system is unique. so I don't want to throw it out, and replace it entirely with the same system from those, which has been repeated now, quite often.

What I do want in kenshi. a bit more autonomy. like currently food is about it. I would add day/night in kenshi first. have sleep cycles for non-skeletons. have it work much like hunger. if let go, they will auto sleep during night. if controlled, they will skip.. but as the bar drains, lose stats, etc. (also, have monsters change at night. spooky scary things that come out at night..)
I'd add mood and entertainment as well. psychotic breaks right from those games. binge eating, loss of control wanders, in-fighting, suicide. etc. - for dead bodies, loss of limbs, dead friends, etc. + for entertainment items, dice/cards, fighting/targetpratice. make some of the psychotic breaks race focused. like, shek going on suicide missions. skeletons reseting themselves. hivers worshiping random shit.

the aggressive day/night would be neat to make use of camping and lights more. have lights/campfires draw monsters. add some perimeter items. alarms, spike traps, etc..
conversely, have some aggressive sun debuff in the deserts. make traveling at night ideal there.

yeah, some sort of reactive global econ would be great. but honestly few/no games have gotten that right. the PC's ability to produce items usually busts any attempt to create a realistic stable econ.

Caliane

kenshi is real funny at taking what you thought was an asskicking squad and tearing it apart.

went out exploring looking for some engi research. party of like 13. first went up through obediance, floodlands. visited moll, and checked worlds end. came back, and visited the armor king. and walked directly through rebirth. (with like 8 shek, 2 skels, 1 hiver, and like 8 of the 13 women..) stopped at one of the mines on the way back and cleaned it out, releasing all the slaves. headed back home with 1 new recruit.

so, then I geared her up, resupplied and went south. been trying to find a bull bag for my second bull as well, with no luck. was hoping squin or the waystation would. neither did.. but kept going and visited last stand. I released at this point, I screwed up my resupply and my dudes dumped all their food, and I didn't refill. so, instead of continuing south, turned up the coast and followed the vain dried up river. did actually get some engi research in the library and particularly workshop by the western hive..
but good god the walk up from the lost library, to the mouth of the river. so many beak things, nonstop. after the 40th, even my veterans were starting to drop. had to stop and rest a few times.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I started setting up a new base between shem and swamp last night and had a few instances of beak things AND bandits pulling a pincer on me while I was trying to finish my walls. I thought I was being clever by hiding in one of my buildings and funneling everyone to my boys, but then I remembered everyone was weilding heavy weapons with -indoors and causing a lot of collateral damage at the same time. I ended up having to bring my Warboys down with extra bandages to help my Warparty heal up and finish the walls.

Good God I love this game.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Oh, and I made a huge base so I could encompass iron, copper and fertile land all within my walls this time. Is that going to cause issues with automated jobs? I thought I remember reading something about that.

I only did one entrance this time, too. Not sure if that is going to force enemies to start breaking through the wall at random spots

Caliane

yes, it can. you can build walls out past "your base", and your units won't auto travel properly. the radius is pretty large though.

and no they won't attack walls, only gates.
line of sight applies to walls and buildings. but, turrents/xbows can fire through gates.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
yes, it can. you can build walls out past "your base", and your units won't auto travel properly. the radius is pretty large though.

and no they won't attack walls, only gates.
line of sight applies to walls and buildings. but, turrents/xbows can fire through gates.
Do you think this is too big?
1640984324444.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
no. thats fine. not even close. ha.
The AI attacked the wall right next to my gate in my last play through. I was off buying something in town before I even realized they were in my base. Im so noobie in this game, Im not even sure what Im doing.

Caliane

huh thats odd. I've never seen them do that. That said, the game is buggy.

I've been dealing with npcs teleporting into my base all playthrough this time. and my units teleporting outside occasionally. Previous playthroughs have been much better about this..
Rebuilt my walls a couple times to try and stop it. made a smaller inner wall.

An entire cannibal raid teleported up an impassible hill to attack my base from behind/inside once..

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Bigger fence, more bugs, more entry points.

I'm trying to simultaneously convince myself to play and not play this game again.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I heard a way to fix broken/buggy games is to somehow export all of your shit and import it to a new game. Just heard a streamer talk about it as ive never played.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
If you haven't done this at least once, I highly recommend building a base in the southeast down near greenbeach or anywhere you get visited by "crustacean" raids.

I just completed the series and it was a really good time.

It was touch and go on the last one as I only have 9 people but a lot of fun.

"Fix things" button in shift+f12 menu can help, building smaller walls too.

The breaking down the wall next to a gate can happen if you start getting branching wall systems where smashing that wall becomes the shortest route.

Walls can get really glitchy.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is there a list somewhere of all the zones that have no harmful weather effects? I know I can look through wiki one by one...

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Does it matter if a bed is inside the building or on the roof?
Ive never placed one on the roof. I know you can just simply based off the Inn at that one town. But the "catch" there is that its covered. Which may be the only takeaway from that.

Caliane

roofs count as inside for the purposes of any "inside only" building, such as storage, weapon crafting etc. can put them all up there fine.

if you are asking about acid rain, then yeah, I think they would get hit, so you'd need to put a tent over it. which you can do. most inns do that.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm mainly talking about healing time. Does it take longer to heal if the bed is on the roof and uncovered vs inside the building?