Kickstarters

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
KS can suck a dick lately, but I had to back this one.

I missed the first run and ended up having to buy the product at retail. It was one of the few cases where I've had to pay far more than the KS, but these minis are amazing and it was still cost effective. The pictures really don't do them justice. They look fantastic in real life. I'm in on this one for $400 and probably going to pledge a second time to make sure I get everything I want.

The disabled and non-binary mini's are some faggot shit, but it's the state of gaming culture.

Id love it if they collaborated to make sets for other games. Gloomhaven, Dicethrone adventures, etc. I like the higher end look of those.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Id love it if they collaborated to make sets for other games. Gloomhaven, Dicethrone adventures, etc. I like the higher end look of those.
Yep. When I pledged, they asked for feedback and that's essentially what I said. I said the product was great and they should reach out to other 3rd party creators to license their monsters.

Arcknight has already collaborated with a few companies for their flat plastic minis, but those products (while still cool) aren't even in the same league.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm in on this one for ~$425, but the work is strong and the value is pretty incredible with all the stretch goals. And because...Ed Greenwood.

However, I keep waffling back and forth about changing my pledge to only include the books because I don't own any minis other than the flat plastic kind and I'm genuinely afraid that receiving the minis from this is going to open Pandora's Box.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm in on this one for ~$425, but the work is strong and the value is pretty incredible with all the stretch goals. And because...Ed Greenwood.

However, I keep waffling back and forth about changing my pledge to only include the books because I don't own any minis other than the flat plastic kind and I'm genuinely afraid that receiving the minis from this is going to open Pandora's Box.

Start asking for a tier without minis. If enough people want it they usually will accommodate. Get any KSer friends you have to chime in. If enough people ask they usually do it. I’ll back it and comment and back out, if you want to try it.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Start asking for a tier without minis. If enough people want it they usually will accommodate. Get any KSer friends you have to chime in. If enough people ask they usually do it. I’ll back it and comment and back out, if you want to try it.
There is one that's just books. I guess the way I explained myself was confusing.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
There is one that's just books. I guess the way I explained myself was confusing.
Nope I just misread it. Happens a lot when I’m posting half asleep.

Unless there’s a mini you really like and you want to paint / commission and display it I’d suggest against it. What you have in the skinny minis probably has that monster covered, and having a mini show up in your sea of skinny minis would look weird IMO. Like you said, you might open a mini collection can of worms and they take up a lot more money and space than skinny’s. They also don’t look that great unless you’re painting them. That’s why I started painting, the grey blobs don’t look all that good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Man, you guys got me spending hours last night contemplating these Skinny mini's. I probably have 2,000+ unpainted mini's... and like 10 painted ones. I'm going "I could buy in on the $400 all in pledge... then turn around and sell my existing mini's in batches of like 300 for $100 or something and probably double my money while freeing up the large amount of storage my mini's take.... but then again... physical mini's are so cool... even unpainted. Guess I have 27 more days to think about it.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man, you guys got me spending hours last night contemplating these Skinny mini's. I probably have 2,000+ unpainted mini's... and like 10 painted ones. I'm going "I could buy in on the $400 all in pledge... then turn around and sell my existing mini's in batches of like 300 for $100 or something and probably double my money while freeing up the large amount of storage my mini's take.... but then again... physical mini's are so cool... even unpainted. Guess I have 27 more days to think about it.
They're awesome. Having front/back art is really convenient. Also, unlike full minis, these don't block a lot of the map/battlefield. I know that a full-on physical mini can be really imposing, but they're retard expensive, take up a lot of space, and leave a lot to be desired if they're not painted well.

Don't get me wrong, if I had infinite money I'd undoubtedly have a massive bookshelf with every conceivable mini having a professional paintjob, but I don't. Skinny mini's are a great substitute. If you like what you see with this KS, take a look at the first one because you can get any of those by backing the new one. I spent a fortune on the first run and don't regret it, at all.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
They're awesome. Having front/back art is really convenient. Also, unlike full minis, these don't block a lot of the map/battlefield. I know that a full-on physical mini can be really imposing, but they're retard expensive, take up a lot of space, and leave a lot to be desired if they're not painted well.

Don't get me wrong, if I had infinite money I'd undoubtedly have a massive bookshelf with every conceivable mini having a professional paintjob, but I don't. Skinny mini's are a great substitute. If you like what you see with this KS, take a look at the first one because you can get any of those by backing the new one. I spent a fortune on the first run and don't regret it, at all.

How many of each unique monster are provided? Like, 1 red dragon, 1 beholder... but 4-5 orcs, goblins, etc? Are there enough of certain types to reasonably set up an encounter with multiple of the same thing? That was the main thing I always shook my head at miniatures for. What's the point when you only have 3 orc minis, so you have to proxy 8 of them?

3 winter wolves, perhaps?

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How many of each unique monster are provided? Like, 1 red dragon, 1 beholder... but 4-5 orcs, goblins, etc? Are there enough of certain types to reasonably set up an encounter with multiple of the same thing? That was the main thing I always shook my head at miniatures for. What's the point when you only have 3 orc minis, so you have to proxy 8 of them?

3 winter wolves, perhaps?
If you go to their retail site All it shows exactly what the first run offered. Once you look, you'll see that some encounters will require multiples to be able to set up an encounter. I purchased at least 1 of everything the first run had and 4 or 5 of some of the creatures that are typically encountered in large numbers like the Undead, Orcs, etc.

"3 winter wolves, perhaps?"
Cheeky bastard. ;)

• 1Worf

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
Goddammit Kickstarter, just when I think I'm out, you pull me back in.

Just fucking mainline that nostalgia directly into my veins why don't you.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Goddammit Kickstarter, just when I think I'm out, you pull me back in.

Just fucking mainline that nostalgia directly into my veins why don't you.
I’d say don’t do it unless you absolutely loved it and you know someone else who did too and will play it with you.

I backed Fireball Island from this company and I did not care for the end product. The board pieces were warped as fuck (they later claimed that this was a feature and not a manufacturing failure, to make everyone’s experience different. Like I would give a fuck that someone else’s balls roll different than mine), components were cheap, and it came in the worst quality box of any board game I have ever owned. Even $10 games have better boxes than that piece of shit.

I still have it and my son likes playing it so I guess it wasn’t a waste but I still regret the purchase. They did not live up to their promise IMO.

• 2Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I’d say don’t do it unless you absolutely loved it and you know someone else who did too and will play it with you.

I backed Fireball Island from this company and I did not care for the end product. The board pieces were warped as fuck (they later claimed that this was a feature and not a manufacturing failure, to make everyone’s experience different. Like I would give a fuck that someone else’s balls roll different than mine), components were cheap, and it came in the worst quality box of any board game I have ever owned. Even $10 games have better boxes than that piece of shit.

I still have it and my son likes playing it so I guess it wasn’t a waste but I still regret the purchase. They did not live up to their promise IMO.

I've seen a copy of that Fireball Island remake and I was disappointed as well.

I'd give quite a bit for a pristine copy of the original, though. Talk about nostalgia...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've seen a copy of that Fireball Island remake and I was disappointed as well.

I'd give quite a bit for a pristine copy of the original, though. Talk about nostalgia...
They have good copies on eBay for $250+.

We searched my grandmas house before she passed away for ours because we kept good care of all our games. It wasn’t there though, must’ve been tossed in one of their many moves. Was bummed cause the original was simple and well made.

That’s all I wanted with the remake. It still plays ok but the stupid warping makes it suck. The fireballs don’t roll down the paths like they should, it’s retarded. The first one was designed so that they rolled down the path designed for it most of the time, but they had little indents where sometimes it wouldn’t. So you knew you had a good chance of hitting someone but not 100%. The remake it’s like “Well if I roll it down the path you’re on I have 100% chance of missing because it’s warped so fucking bad it never goes down that intended path.” If they wouldn’t have fucked that up the only thing I’d bitch about was how terrible the box is and I would give them some slack and not give them an “avoid” status.

• 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>

Yeah I have the new Fireball Island as well and sort of felt the same way, at least about the box. And they gave $10 off a expensive-ass Broken Token organizer which felt lke a slap in the face.

I'm cautiously optimistic that they've learned since then, based on how much work I've seen them put into re-engineering their Dark Tower remake. Plus I'm a sucker for car combat games. The new edition of Car Wars wasn't enough.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Looks like they already cancelled? I read their update but I still can't get a good handle on the reason, other than maybe people complained about there not being enough info about it or a prototype playable version yet?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like they already cancelled? I read their update but I still can't get a good handle on the reason, other than maybe people complained about there not being enough info about it or a prototype playable version yet?
That’s weird. Maybe they were expecting it to go nuts and it didn’t?

Reading the comments that kind of seems what happened. People were critical of them not having very much developed yet and it wasn’t getting much funding. Guessing they’ll just develop it some more and relaunch in a few months.

Maul

Dental Dammer

For fuck sake, might as well just leave my wallet open for this one, thanks a fucking lot Hateyou Hateyou

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer
The last dice throne made a few million? Can't see this doing less than that, probably more like double considering how well received Dice Throne seems to be anyway, considering I was looking at buying the entire lot anyway, this will probably be an expensive as fuck all in for me.