Killing Mice

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
My dad always used a bit of bacon lightly charred over a lighter flame and used some thread to tie it to the trigger to get around the mice pilfering the bait problem. This was before the paddle style triggers came along.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My two cats have kept the entire house mice and bug free for years. Now when they do catch a woodchuck or mouse outside they go to town on the poor thing like a mexican cartel video taking their sweet time.

• 1Worf

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Cat is an underrated solution. I hate the fucking cat, but the amount of mice in the wood racks and around (outside) the house has decreased 100% since he's been around, so he gets to stay.

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I deal with many smells both my old job in a hospital, my existing pets ( saltwater protein skimmer basically makes baby poop that had to be scrubbed out of a collection cup periodically.)

Couldn't stand the 2 cats I got. Cat box felt like instant disease and cancer. Stunk up whole basement. Though breaking point was dogs left them alone but after multiple attempts these dumb cats would attack the 100 lb dogs.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Jesus, somehow spent the last two hours watching dogs and then various other animals killing rats, and finally ended up here:

Really expensive, but I could watch a video of this shit going off repeatedly no problem.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Well, I knew it was too much to hope that I'd only have one mouse. I was out all day today, and when I got home I saw another dead mouse in one of the traps I had left up. This one was particularly nasty, and it looked like the trap just snagged his front leg and he bled out. There was a huge puddle of dried blood. So much dried blood, in fact, that I had to get a dust shovel and scrape him and the trap off the floor. It even left little bits of fur behind that I needed to scrub. Thankfully it was on the hardwood in my kitchen.

Anyway, I thought the hole was behind my washer/dryer. I live in an apartment complex and I told the maintenance guys about it and they supposedly came and plugged it last Friday. However, now I'm doubting that they actually did anything. It didn't look like they had moved my washer/dryer, so I was already skeptical. They're fucking useless, which is why I wanted to deal with the mice issue myself in the first place.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You'd be amazed the shit they fit thru. Vent ducting, tiny holes around any plumbing going into walls. Mine got onto kitchen counters by climbing fridge or stove...

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
You'd be amazed the shit they fit thru. Vent ducting, tiny holes around any plumbing going into walls. Mine got onto kitchen counters by climbing fridge or stove...

Mice have flexible bones and can fit through any hole the diameter of a pencil.
Mice are mostly Blind, they travel by following 'trails' they make by urinating as they run, they will always follow the tracks they or other mice left before, find those roads and drop a trap across it baited with Nutella, Peanut Butter is good but that brown goo brings them out 20X faster.

Victor with the big Cheese trigger is the only snap trap to use. Anything else is 50/50 if it snags them.

Victor-Mousetrap.jpg

Last edited:

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I did some looking around this morning. I looked as best I could behind the washer/dryer and didn't see any holes of any size. However, since I caught this 2nd mouse in the kitchen I looked around there and I saw a really big hole (baseball-sized) in the wall under my oven. I pulled out the storage drawer at the base, and there is a big hole in the wall where some wiring for the oven comes into the apartment. I put down about 6 new traps today with the jarlsberg they seem to love so much. I told the maintenance guys about the hole, so we'll see if they bother plugging it.

The most confusing thing for me is why these mice decided to suddenly show up in my apartment. I'm not messy, I clean regularly, I don't leave food/drink out. I haven't noticed any containers being chewed into (and I literally have maybe 5 - 6 containers of food in my cupboards anyway as a single guy). It's not even winter when they might come in purely for the warmth.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I did some looking around this morning. I looked as best I could behind the washer/dryer and didn't see any holes of any size. However, since I caught this 2nd mouse in the kitchen I looked around there and I saw a really big hole (baseball-sized) in the wall under my oven. I pulled out the storage drawer at the base, and there is a big hole in the wall where some wiring for the oven comes into the apartment. I put down about 6 new traps today with the jarlsberg they seem to love so much. I told the maintenance guys about the hole, so we'll see if they bother plugging it.

The most confusing thing for me is why these mice decided to suddenly show up in my apartment. I'm not messy, I clean regularly, I don't leave food/drink out. I haven't noticed any containers being chewed into (and I literally have maybe 5 - 6 containers of food in my cupboards anyway as a single guy). It's not even winter when they might come in purely for the warmth.

Yup weather. They head into my place during rainy season. Anytime I patch a hole they made in the dry wall, I put a metal plate in before I close it because as I said mice follow the same paths over and over. I also add hot chilli flakes to the drywall mud I use to patch the hole to make it less delicious.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
It is unlikely you would ever have just one mouse. Their gestation period is short, they have big litters and they mature relatively fast. I do like a good "mouser" cat to keep them at bay. Fortunately for me, my neighbors have some, they hunt in my yard, so do the red shouldered hawks. Yay for predators!

• 1Solidarity