Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Raign

Golden Squire

Yeah, I have that one as well.. it sucks -- mostly because I collected the 2 cages I could and they can't be dropped so now I have 4 weight of useless fucking birds in my already strained inventory weight cap. Ah well, hopefully they will fix it eventually.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Ain't nothing to the game breaking quest bug I got in my first Skyrim playthrough where everyone in the Thalmor Embassy was hostile, even if you did everything correctly and had the disguise on. I ended up not giving a shit though and played that character for 30+ more hours doing all the other quest lines and exploring. I never even finished the main quest line in Skyrim until late last year when I ran through it in a couple of hours on a god mode character just to have said to have done it. :)

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel like I'm able to defeat enemies now, but only via grinding them down and having superior weapons/armor. One guy I fought I just sort of beat the shit out of until his armor broke, and then my repair bill was super high.

I feel like there's a whole dimension to combat I'm not getting, but it seems like opponent's defense is super high, and any combo I attempt is interrupted by them blocking/parrying.

Raign

Golden Squire
I feel like I'm able to defeat enemies now, but only via grinding them down and having superior weapons/armor. One guy I fought I just sort of beat the shit out of until his armor broke, and then my repair bill was super high.

I feel like there's a whole dimension to combat I'm not getting, but it seems like opponent's defense is super high, and any combo I attempt is interrupted by them blocking/parrying.

There are a couple of things I do a lot that seem to make swordplay much easier (bow is really just practice, not really any tricks to it):

• If you have room, back up quickly, the enemies will run towards you and drop their guard, do a high stab as they get close and it will land very consistently because they are off guard and because it is usually head area, will hit very hard
  • In general (for me at least) thrust seem to get through there guard more consistently than slash so my weapon choices reflect that (strong piecing weapons)
  • Alternatively, Maces and Flails are supposed to be better against heavy armor - I haven't tested this, but may be worth trying out if you are facing a lot of heavy foes

I tend to use a bow about 80% of the time so the cheap tricks in the spoiler are all I got for swordplay. Not much help, sorry.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Time is frozen? Have fun picking hundreds of herbs to max out that skill, raise strength a lot, and buy everything in the town (and get all the traders money too).

Sword trainer doesn't mind you spending a couple hours not doing what he tells you to? Cool, enjoy your maxed sword skill.

Unkillable NPCs? ...and now your archery skill is maxed too.
I was thinking about this while trying to not be terrible in front of Capt. Bernard. The idea of leveling strength by picking flowers for days, training at the sword trainer to get good at swords and then doing target practice with the bow for hours reminds me of

Bonus: get around CC copyright algorithm with a 10 year old boy laughing at Vorph Vorph for proposing you "break the game" by training at the sword trainer.

• 1Worf

Origin

Molten Core Raider
What's your problem with the combat? I actually really enjoy it. The only thing I don't like is how easy it is to lose your lock on an enemy sometimes. Blocking, parrying, riposting, dodging, and doing combos is pretty fun and overall this is a way better combat system than something like Elder Scrolls.

I think the combat system is counter-intuitive. As a simple example: If i'm swinging right handed, i am going to be leading with my left side, head turned left and i'm going to be swinging at the targets right side. In this game, when you attempt this kind of basic swing, you move the mouse left to look while swinging, but that same motion sets the direction where you want to strike at the target - which is left. The same goes for the opposite direction. In the end, most of my swinging doesn't end up going where i want it to and that gets old fast.

Elder Scrolls doesn't set the bar too high here, so it's not something i'd compare it to, but, as sad as it sounds, i'd rather have ES combat than this janky shit. This is a super deep RPG, it really didn't need some crazy combat system.

I recall playing DS1 back in the day (didn't play the subsequent releases) and it had a really good and fluid combat system. That's something i would model this shit on.

I'm going to try combat with a controller. Aiming the strike with the mouse doesn't work very well for me. Otherwise, I love the combat. I'm just not sure it will have enough depth to keep me entertained in the long run. There seems to be combo you unlock but the novelty can wear off quickly.

I thought about it, but meh. I'll just stick with archery for my play-through and do the bare minimum sword-fighting that i can.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bonus: get around CC copyright algorithm with a 10 year old boy laughing at Vorph Vorph for proposing you "break the game" by training at the sword trainer.

You don't think that ignoring the trainer's very simple instructions to spend an hour or two (not sure of exact amount of real time as I don't actually do shit like this myself, and game time is frozen) doing half-assed attacks and suddenly becoming a master swordsman breaks the game's design philosophy?

Anyway, I've had my fill of KCD. I don't want to shit on the game because I like Vavra's attitude towards SJW faggots who expected him to kiss the ring like the rest of the industry, but I don't have a single positive thing to say about the game itself that isn't graphics-related. I haven't actually had any significant technical issues other than the UI ranging from clunky at best to really annoying in the way it likes to pause for a second or two to load during conversations and trading (even on a SSD). I just don't care much about "realism", the story didn't grab me at all, and I don't find the combat enjoyable. It's far better with a gamepad than a mouse, but I still don't think it's a fun system--and you'll drop the gamepad and pick up the mouse again the first time you want to sell a couple hundred herbs at once too. To be fair though, I never liked M&B combat much either and had no interest in playing For Honor or whatever other games the combat system gets compared to. I hope a lot of people who do want a game like this buy it and they go on to make another game as good as Mafia, but it's definitely not for me.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
pahnqqog31h01.png

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'd highly suggest not picking OP perks and sticking with middle tier or lower weapons and armor or this game gets stupid easy.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd highly suggest not picking OP perks and sticking with middle tier or lower weapons and armor or this game gets stupid easy.
Yeah I kind of figured this would be the case when I realized how stat-based everything is, despite the level of complexity the combat system has.

What I really want to do is get to the proficiency such that I can do this against everyone, even really tough enemies if I play perfectly:

But it feels like there's just too much noise and stat-dependency in the system to do it.

More explicitly from that I can tell the game's combat is dice based and transactional, such that when the player has an enemy targeted and attacks, some die is rolled to determine whether it's a hit, a block, dodge, parry, riposte etc. This is obvious early on and is why the player spends the first few hours of the game getting rekt again and again.

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but from what is intuitive and what the game says, the following contribute to that equation:
1. Player stats vs opponent stats
2. Player stamina, opponent stamina.
3. Whether the opponent is recovering from a hit.
4. Whether the player just parried/dodged/riposted/blocked.
5. Whether the player feinted.
6. The location of the enemy's weapon/shield relative to attack direction.
7. Some combination of how much variance the player's attacks have been up to that point.

The above list is really cool and this is the first game I've played that truly attempts to follow the list of "intuitive and realistic melee combat". Unfortunately the list is basically a fantasy. The variance in the equation of hit vs non-hit itself is massive, and the effect of #1 just totally swamp out everything else in the system.

That that means is that like most RPGs you'll easily handle stuff significantly weaker than you, you'll be rekt by stuff significantly stronger than you, and against anything around your level you'll just sort of grind down until their armor/weapons break.

I kind of hope that I'm just a shitter. I'd love to see a video of someone demonstrating how to use player skill to ace a high level opponent like Captain Bernard using real weapons (the guy outside of Rattay that you can train with).

The game is still fun and the combat is enjoyable enough with the above in mind, but I'd really love to play a mod that makes playing perfectly. All the pieces are there, they're just not put together from what I can tell.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
i used fling trainer to raise my skills at superspeed

not going to grind (kek Tuco Tuco ) in a single-player game like this, that seems silly

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
i used fling trainer to raise my skills at superspeed

not going to grind (kek Tuco Tuco ) in a single-player game like this, that seems silly
I like my policy of never doing anything I don't enjoy, and trying to play a game like this the way it's intended to be played (within reason), but next time I play there's no way I'll level up alchemy/maintenance. Just like I only leveled blacksmithing et all in Skyrim once.

Of course, when I play it again the game will prob be totally reworked via mods with a very different system that makes player skill more important.

Last edited:

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I'm playing on ps4. And I dunno if it's just me. But riding this dumb horse is terrible. I feel like I get stuck on every leaf in exsistance and when I do hit one it spins my head around. Wth? Lol

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I had not read any guides so I was just sort of doing whatever which meant I was doing side quests and activities thinking I'd do a little prep before proceeding. That was sort of dumb because there was some handy info in the early Rattay quests. Anyway, I got stuck on a game breaker in one of the early quests. Minor spoilers.

So I finished the "The Hunt Begins", which was a little fucky at the end because you're supposed to search the area north of the farm and I ran all around for about 1/2 an hour in the marked zone and didn't find shit. Anyway, one guy in woods to the north attacked and I killed him. And then there was also another body. Searched that one and there was a hoof pick on it. Apparently the hoof pick is a clue? No idea. Anyway, I returned to the farm, finished the quest and the next step was described but nothing was added to my journal.

So, I went back and repeated the killing of the bandit in the woods and now the 2nd body doesn't appear.

Seems a lot of people are having this problem with getting the next quest "Ginger in a Pickle":

Stuck in main quest, Ginger in a pickle!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What most people call “austistic min-maxing” I just call “playing RPGs”.
There's really not a way to min/max in KCD. There are very few tradeoffs you can make, ex: if you eschew plate armor you can make use of a perk that increases your chance of dodging an attack. This turns out to be a bit of a mistake though, because A: dodging can fail unlike parrying, B: you don't get as high of a chance to counter attack as if you parrying or riposte, C: against multiple opponents it has a high chance of skipping you toward an opponent.