Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I had not read any guides so I was just sort of doing whatever which meant I was doing side quests and activities thinking I'd do a little prep before proceeding. That was sort of dumb because there was some handy info in the early Rattay quests. Anyway, I got stuck on a game breaker in one of the early quests. Minor spoilers.

So I finished the "The Hunt Begins", which was a little fucky at the end because you're supposed to search the area north of the farm and I ran all around for about 1/2 an hour in the marked zone and didn't find shit. Anyway, one guy in woods to the north attacked and I killed him. And then there was also another body. Searched that one and there was a hoof pick on it. Apparently the hoof pick is a clue? No idea. Anyway, I returned to the farm, finished the quest and the next step was described but nothing was added to my journal.

So, I went back and repeated the killing of the bandit in the woods and now the 2nd body doesn't appear.

Seems a lot of people are having this problem with getting the next quest "Ginger in a Pickle":

Stuck in main quest, Ginger in a pickle!
I think the latest patch attempted to fix this issue but it sounds like it didn't.

Ginger in a pickle still not fixed after 1.25

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I did the last of the "bandit camp" activities last night, which from what I hear sends you against top-level opponents and is considered part of the "end game". There are something like 8 bandits in the camp. I only had level ~10 of the combat skills, which I think is under-leveled for the content I was doing?

I don't feel all that comfortable with the melee combat still, but I actually feel like I executed the mission really well from a strategic perspective and within the design the game. In other words the mechanics of the game worked really well, if I had recorded it, it would've made a great advertisement for the game.

I started the mission at dawn, to try and catch the enemy while they were sleeping. One bandit was sitting at the campfire, I dispatched him with an arrow to the next.

A team of four bandits grouped together to try and find me, so they jumped to where I had shot the first bandit. I had circled away, and shot the bowman in the back.

After shooting him, I popped +stamina, +str and +agi potions, and shot an incoming heavily armored bandit center mass, which only damaged him. The ensuing melee wasn't anything special, but I was able to grind them down.

After killing them, I went back to the camp and there was one bandit who had woken up and was inspecting the first bandit. I snuck up behind him and killed him.

At this point I was confused because I hadn't seen the bandit leader, so I snuck around and saw the fucker was still sleeping, and did a sleep-kill on him, completing the camp.

The above is a pretty textbook execution of a camp of NPCs and isn't some dramatic departure from the kind of sequence you could find in an elder scroll game or anything else with archery, stealth and melee, but it was pretty fun to use all the mechanics effectively and a worth conclusion to that line of bandit camp executions.

On the way back to my next quest I ran into a low level bandit camp and charged with my long sword, impaling everyone and basically feeling like.

tenor.gif

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I guess those pots of stew everywhere aren't just a convenient way to refresh yourself after a quick bath in the trough, they actually were a thing.

Perpetual stew - Wikipedia

Gross.

edit: they should make it so if you dump 3x savior schanpps in, you get a permanent location you can save your game at without sleeping.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
So I finished the "The Hunt Begins", which was a little fucky at the end because you're supposed to search the area north of the farm and I ran all around for about 1/2 an hour in the marked zone and didn't find shit.

while questioning the people at the farm someone mentions that the bandits must have left in a hurry, damaging stuff on their way, at the north of the farm there is a fence door knocked over, going there will update the quest and lead you towards the hoofpick

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I saw some blurb about how Vice won't review this game because of racism or something so I have to buy it now.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Based on the names of other characters being Czech rather than anglicized... either left alone or shortened to Hynek.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I feel like Henry is the perfect name for him, because he looks like a Henry, which is just some guy in village you kind of grew up with. You don't expect much of Henry, he's just Henry, you know, that guy that lives up on the hill? Yeah him, nbd.

If it was Heinrich, Hynek, whatever, it'd be too bold for an American audience.

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
I'm glad their changing their save policy, this game is ridiculously buggy for something which is so hostile to quicksaves.

I've been in an archery contest, where you automatically lose because the other competitors will never fire an arrow and the only way out is to forfeit.
I've touched an alchemy bench which rocketed me to the sky and killed me as I escaped and fell to my death.
I've been in a fight where without warning it advanced the game five hours ahead of time.

• 2Worf

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like Henry is the perfect name for him, because he looks like a Henry, which is just some guy in village you kind of grew up with. You don't expect much of Henry, he's just Henry, you know, that guy that lives up on the hill? Yeah him, nbd.

If it was Heinrich, Hynek, whatever, it'd be too bold for an American audience.

I've watched a lot of streams lately, and some Let's Plays, and I can whole heartedly get behind this. Even the voice actor sounds like he grew up in some small English suburb and never amounted to anything until he was plucked off the streets and shoved in front of a microphone.

Some might like it, but it's a huge turnoff for me. He just seems too much of a nobody. I have zero emotional attachment to him. I wish they'd used either Czech voice actors, or people who can put on decent central European accents. Having lived in the UK myself it just seems weird having everyone sound like a Brit while ostensibly being in Bohemia.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've watched a lot of streams lately, and some Let's Plays, and I can whole heartedly get behind this. Even the voice actor sounds like he grew up in some small English suburb and never amounted to anything until he was plucked off the streets and shoved in front of a microphone.

Some might like it, but it's a huge turnoff for me. He just seems too much of a nobody. I have zero emotional attachment to him. I wish they'd used either Czech voice actors, or people who can put on decent central European accents. Having lived in the UK myself it just seems weird having everyone sound like a Brit while ostensibly being in Bohemia.
Yeah I wish that game companies that try historical games would invest in having foreign voice acting. I'd much prefer to play Assassin's Creed: Origins with Arabic, (but Demotic Egyptian would be even better if they could find some nerds who spoke it).

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider

Ironically there's been some local outcry that the game has no Czech voiceover, but honestly given all the Czech dubbing I've ever been subjected to, that's a good thing. I'm still recovering from Mankind Divided. I don't know how many lines the game has, but that would be no small undertaking. And a minor nitpick: the Czech spoken at that time was closer to Polish than the modern version and for trade/education/government, latin or german were the languages of choice. So I kinda understand why they didn't go full nerd on that aspect.

Also most christian names have direct translations into other languages, you don't have to deal with some Jaden/Kayden bullshit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think it was already mentioned that you can break the system by holding down the sprint key, but:

I try not to exploit this, but I used it hard in a big team v team melee after getting behind enemy lines and massacred everybody with it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just beat it, enjoyable all the way through. However, unless you're rearing for a game I'd recommend to wait until there are some improvements to the combat that make it so you're not a demi-god halfway through the leveling process, improve the group vs group combat, and improve the load times.
I didn't do hardly any reading about the game, but it seems kind of weird to have the big bad set up in the opening scene, and to be ostensibly pursuing him the whole game only for him to sort of drop off the story at the end and be replaced by some other dude you saw once. I can only assume that we'll get some DLC to uhh, finish the game.

Though tbh I don't really want to continue henry's story, because the game works best as a peasant than it does as a knight. Once you get full armor and are leveled up you're a fuckin' legend and nothing can hurt you. I think this game would work really well with episodic content.

I also think some mods will get released that dramatically improve the content, but probably only when they open up the modding tools. Right now everything is changing some configuration files, but the combat issues are much deeper than that.

I'll probably give this another play through in a year or two after Henry's story is finished, there's a bunch of combat mods etc.

In some ways I'm glad this game feels like it only has 2 of 3 acts, because I was getting a little tired of being in God-mode halfway through Act 2, and the warts of the game were starting to show.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user