Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I like Nirvana songs and albums a lot, but I didn't slobber Cobain cock back in the 90s like many were doing. I was more of a Soundgarden/AIC kinda guy.
Always thought they were decent, but not great and never understood the pedestal people put them on.

David Grohl really is awesome, though

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The way I remember it is that even back in the day most normal people knew that AIC and Soundgarden were the more talented acts coming out of that whole scene. But Nirvana was simpler, a bit angrier, and what I believe to be the true reason they were commercially the bigger act: Kurt Cobain was much better looking than Cornell or Staley. Seriously, I remember the girls my age losing their minds over how dreamy Kurt was. And when he died? Holy fuck. The hysteria that came out of the female population was insane. I think guys liked Nirvana back then. I think girls straight upobsessedover, not the band, but Kurt himself. Who woulda guessed that a junkie messiah would be a sex symbol.

That being said, I think tthe movie did a good job at being about Kurt and gave us a bit of a window. I think most of us knew what his house and his life would look like, but it was still interesting to see it for real. I've always felt like I could sympathize with his desire to not be famous in the mainstream and I think that really showed in the movie. And the alternate recordings of some of the songs they played was cool as was the notebooks.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Tried to watch this last night. I made it as far as when they started to talk about the divorce and how much of a shitbag teen he was and no one wanted him. They started to make excuses for his mental state and what would follow. Boo fucking hoo. You were a punk and no one wanted to put up with your shit. Does this really get better, or is it another 1 hour of people making excuses?

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Tried to watch this last night. I made it as far as when they started to talk about the divorce and how much of a shitbag teen he was and no one wanted him. They started to make excuses for his mental state and what would follow. Boo fucking hoo. You were a punk and no one wanted to put up with your shit. Does this really get better, or is it another 1 hour of people making excuses?
I feel like if people's opinion of a situation is enough to make you turn it off, you probably just shouldn't watch documentaries.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Or I was hoping for more than just shitty parents talking about a shitty kid? Was there more to it than people who cared so little about him psychoanalyzing why he was fucked up? Do you keep a picture of Kurt taped to your dick and I offended you somehow?

an accordion_sl

shitlord
I don't really care for Cobain that much, watched the documentary because I hadn't seen any others.

My point is, if something someone says in a documentary annoys you enough to turn it off... you probably had very little intent to watch it entirely through

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Kind of made him look like a little bitch of a kid. Cool dad, cool mom, got divorced, kid gets mad and draws a bunch of dinosaurs and shoots heroin. Same story as every kid from Seattle no big deal

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Kind of made him look like a little bitch of a kid. Cool dad, cool mom, got divorced, kid gets mad and draws a bunch of dinosaurs and shoots heroin. Same story as every kid from Seattle no big deal
He was a little bitch of a kid. That's the entire point. He wasn't ready to become the biggest musician in the world and the voice of an entire generation. He struggled with his celebrity status his entire life.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Watched this last night. The childhood stuff was interesting in that it shows you where he came from, and shows he was fucked up, but the home videos were the parts that were the most interesting. Him with obvious needle marks in his arms. That was sad. Showing how high he was for the unplugged show, etc. It all painted a picture about untreated depression and drug abuse, either of which or both may have led to his suicide.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The way I remember it is that even back in the day most normal people knew that AIC and Soundgarden were the more talented acts coming out of that whole scene. But Nirvana was simpler, a bit angrier, and what I believe to be the true reason they were commercially the bigger act: Kurt Cobain was much better looking than Cornell or Staley. Seriously, I remember the girls my age losing their minds over how dreamy Kurt was. And when he died? Holy fuck. The hysteria that came out of the female population was insane. I think guys liked Nirvana back then. I think girls straight upobsessedover, not the band, but Kurt himself. Who woulda guessed that a junkie messiah would be a sex symbol.
All the girls I knew were super into Pearl Jam, not Nirvana, and were obsessed over Eddie Veder, not Kurt.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, Pearl Jam was definitely a bigger hit with chicks when I was in high school. That being said, Nirvana had its fair share of female fans.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Buzz Osborne (the Melvins) Talks the HBO Documentary Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck | The Talkhouse Music

Buzz Osborne thinks most of the doc is BS.

First off, people need to understand that 90% of Montage of Heck is bullshit. Total bullshit. That's the one thing no one gets about Cobain - he was a master of jerking your chain.

For instance, I know the whole "I tried to fuck a fat retard" story is complete bullshit. Not even an inkling of truth. That's too good a story to have gone this long without me hearing about it, especially if, as he suggests, the girl's father freaked out about it at the high school.
Interdasting

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You also have to remember that Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and Sound Garden basically broke the shitty pop stranglehold on the music scene at that time. And as mentioned, Cobain was a great bullshitter and self promoter, plus they did not have the internal drama of Sound Garden nor the aversion to the establishment (i.e. Labels) that Pear Jam did. Mainly, people were just elated to listen to something other than fucking MC Hammer or C&C Music Factory type shit. It was sort of like when Disco died, but for the 90s.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Hammer had at least 3 albums. Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em. You Can't Touch This. Whatever had Pumps n' a Bump on it(also the best music video ever).

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
If you were listening to pumps and a bump you were so out of style man.

Also your love of that music video might mean you are gay.
hammer.jpg

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I didn't listen or like the song. I was just pointing out that you were wrong.

If you don't think that video is hilarious, you have no soul. He's practically knocking people out with his cock.