Laptop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Thinking of picking up a new gaming laptop since I'm on the road for work a hell of a lot more. I haven't kept up with current tech and models in eons. Are there any specific brands / models to stay away from? Any I should be looking at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Budget is around 1500, but will go higher if it's a good deal, and worth the upgrade

Last edited:

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
With a budget of 1500 you should be able to spec out an i7, 16gb of ram, and a 1060. The mobile video cards these days are pretty banging, plenty powerful at the 1080p you'll find in a laptop screen.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
That's kind of what I'm seeing at that level. Really thinking about pulling the trigger on this one:

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Been reading reviews most of the evening, and they're favorable. Plus, it's got a 1070, and it's on sale. Scoured all the Black Friday ads, and the savings are about the same.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
17 vs 15 inch is up to your personal preference of desktop replacement vs. "kind of" mobile laptop.

For that price only $200 dollars off is kind of shitty for a Black Friday season deal.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Honestly, as someone who went with a 17" for my last work model - just don't do it. It 'seems' nice, the 17", but it's just not worth the extra size (fewer carryons fit a 17" comfortably) and weight. Maybe if you need the screen size for eyesight reasons, but 15" is cheaper, you usually can find a better quality panel in the same model range and more portable.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I need a 17" for eyesight, and when I travel I'm typically in my truck, so space isn't am issue. I've had 15" ones before, and the screen increase does make it easier when I'm dealing with spread sheets, editing project photos, or just have a ton of windows up tossing shit into Dropbox. It's definitely a personal preference, and it's one I'm willing to shell out the extra cash for.

They have this one too, and it's tempting. I just don't know how much of a difference the 1080 vs 1070. Quite a bit larger discount:

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

bleedat

Molten Core Raider
same price @ newegg. I'm looking for a 1070/1080 myself atm. I travel too much to have one that weighs 10 lbs tho.

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
Hey friends -

Anyone seen any phenomenal black friday/cyber monday laptop deals? I would love to do a Lenovo if it's out there.

I wouldn't mind a touchscreen/tablet-flipping functionality, but I don't want to pay much more for it. Honestly, lowest priority.

I do a non-trivial amount of data processing on my computer - like running programs that take screenshots of videos every .5 seconds so that I can use them in research stuff, or running annoyingly complex stats in SPSS on multi-dimensional datasets.

My last computer that I'm replacing was a ($539.00) Refurbished: Lenovo IdeaPad 100 15.6" HD Notebook Intel Dual-Core i5 Upto 2.7GHz, 8GB Ram, 512GB SSD, DVD-RW, Webcam, Wifi, Bluetooth, Windows 10 Professional 64Bit.

I managed to plug in that computer into a bad power outlet without a surge protector and it blew it up. It was past the manufacturer's warranty and the company warranty that I bought it from (Craving Savings through Newegg)

I've seen people recommend the forum at notebookreview - but I have become an old fogey who wants a laptop from some place where I can get a 3 year warranty like costco, and they're more into saving money by buying refurbs through the manufacturer.

Any thoughts?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking for a cheap laptop for my mom. Preferably something i can buy online.

Nothing special. She really only plays shit like candy crush and browse the internet. Anyone seen anything?

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm looking for a cheap laptop for my mom. Preferably something i can buy online.

Nothing special. She really only plays shit like candy crush and browse the internet. Anyone seen anything?

For something like that, I always recommend a chromebook. You can get one for less than $150 right now. Chromebooks are great, don't have to mess with driver updates or anything if you are going to be tech support for your mom. The updates on it are super simple. Assuming she wants to play these online web based games, should be just fine for that.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So my company wants to buy another 3 laptops but i'm on a pretty strict budget. Thing is it's a small family business so one of these will essentially be my new personal Laptop. Meaning i would like it to have some gaming ability. I can only spend 500-600 max on each machine.

This Acer model is very tempting. The i5-8250u is a massive improvement over prev gen laptop cpu + the GPU is simply a mobile version of the gtx 1030 meaning it would serve fine for gaming. SSD is nice also. I dunno if there's any other option for $600 or less that would suit my needs as well as this model.

For the other two we just need something that can browse the net, run basic office programs. Although i would like a decent processor as we may be using them for facial recognition software in the near future. If anyone has some good ideas for what to get i'd love to hear it.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I have the previous Gen of that acer and it's been great. Plays all the blizzard games at mid graphics settings with no issue. I run hyper-v on it and visual studio for dev and test stuff and it all runs great. The i5 sucks for virtualization but as long as I only turn on a couple VMs at a time it's no problem.

The only complaint I have is that the mouse and trackpad is complete shit. I almost always use wireless keyboard and mouse though so it's not a big deal to me.

Ryoz

<Donor>
So I’m looking at new laptops for my staff. I inherited the MS Surface which has been okay, but some people have issues going from docking station to mobile. Anyone have input on the HP Elite X2? We’re mostly budget/accounting people using excel and such.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Looking for a Chromebook so my wife stops doing random shit on my desktop. $200ish range and at least 14"

2017 Acer Flagship CB3-532 15.6" HD Premium Chromebook - Intel Dual-Core Celeron N3060 up to 2.48GH.z, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD, Wireless AC, HDMI, USB 3.0, Webcam, Chrome OS (Certified Refurbished) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD3LXXK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FDPnAbV7QRR9Q

Any better deals than that??

Is the ram upgradeable?

edit: the memory is onboard and no option to upgrade, I would suggest you get the 4GB model if you do get this one.

Last edited:

Oldbased

> Than U
Honest question here about Laptops and Chromebooks and so forth.
Shelly uses only a laptop for internet stuffs. She watches YT/blogs for things she is into, email and browsing. Sometimes videos off Prime.
She doesn't play any games or use any real software.

Her current laptop is 4 years old and showing its age.
Is a Chromebook easily capable of doing those things or should I just get her another laptop?
She doesn't need DVD/Blu Ray players or any of that crap and due to her health she gripes about the 4+ lbs of weight hauling it around the house and outside all the time, but I've never used a Chromebook and she is not very tech savvy. She is 55 after all. I've noticed they are cheaper and lighter, but if they are a pain in the ass to use for the things above I'll just hunt down a laptop.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why not consider an iPad or Android tablet, battery life would be far better too?

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Why not consider an iPad or Android tablet, battery life would be far better too?

I was going to say something about the price of an iPad and then I went and checked the prices on Amazon - did not realize how those prices had dropped. Definitely a good option.