Laptop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
TL;DR AMD is going for the jugular.

Yea, was seeing that. That's pretty amazing.

The 15" ASUS TUF laptops have the RTX 2060 , with 144hz screen, while the 17" goes with 120hz screen, and 1660 Ti graphics card. I have a 17" laptop now, and it's a beast, so these newer ones are all gonna be a form factor, and weight reduction. I just don't know if I'll care that I drop down to a 15"?

Decisions Decisions.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
In the market for two gaming laptops for my kids (9 & 10). Really looking to keep the budget in the lower range, as they don't need the best, they need something passable. I was wondering with the new AMD tech if there were any decent laptops around $500.

Would really appreciate some advice as my free time is minimal. I just need to get these kids settled in for virtual learning and some gaming.

Thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Come on, where are all our tech nerds? I need some help boys, my sanity hinges on some recommendations.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Come on, where are all our tech nerds? I need some help boys, my sanity hinges on some recommendations.
I just really don't know any laptops in that price range. I have the newest Razer that is over $2k and I haven't looked at a $500 laptop in a long time. Not saying you can't find one but I just don't know that price point.

I would build desktops instead but that's only going to get you the desktop and not the peripherals.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You arent going to find a gaming laptop for 500 dollars. $900 is where you need to be to start.

• 1Like

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Thanks guys that is the info I needed. I will up my budget.

$500.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Well what do you know, I was wrong. If i was going for a cheapo laptop, I would go for as cheap as available because all of them will be poop anyhow.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Why are you looking to pay more for the same gaming performance as the $500 one? At almost $1k you can get a much better performing system.

Shortest and most honest answer...I have almost no time to research this but I need a solution ASAP. So I was relying/hoping to get a no brainer option from people in the know. I assumed some people here would be in the know.

I bought a Microsoft Surface Book Pro for $2k+ 4 years ago and have no looked at laptops since.

Also, unless I am mis-reading what you wrote, the one you linked is $899
1585862183004.png

Last edited:

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Shortest and most honest answer...I have almost no time to research this but I need a solution ASAP. So I was relying/hoping to get a no brainer option from people in the know. I assumed some people here would be in the know.

I bought a Microsoft Surface Book Pro for $2k+ 4 years ago and have no looked at laptops since.

Also, unless I am mis-reading what you wrote, the one you linked is $899
View attachment 258975

Yeah but when you double the ram to 16GB and the SSD to 500, it’s just a bit more than the worse performing $935.99 AMD laptop you linked earlier.

Last edited:

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I ended up buying 2 of these on sale for $1,129 each...

Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop

The only thing I debated about was the lack of Ray Tracing due to not having an RTX. The way I see it, Ray Tracing is not a huge concern right now and probably won't be super prevalent in games for another 3 years. I need these laptops to last 4-5 years for gaming. In 4-5 year I could see my kids getting into building their own desktops for gaming and still having these laptops for school work, browsing and netflix.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Those will be fine for a long while. The new AMD tech just isn't out there yet and so you'd have to of waited a while to get the new AMD chips in a laptop. It's what I'm doing, but yea.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I have a friend who's interested in getting a gaming laptop, but doesnt need it to be top of the line

She mostly plays WoW and Destiny 2.

Can anyone here recommend a site that would sell refurbished laptops that could handle both those games if not at full graphic capacity, at least play smoothly?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I have a friend who's interested in getting a gaming laptop, but doesnt need it to be top of the line

She mostly plays WoW and Destiny 2.

Can anyone here recommend a site that would sell refurbished laptops that could handle both those games if not at full graphic capacity, at least play smoothly?
Read the last few pages, I asked a similar question.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Past couple days have been a pain in the ass but I was finally able to get my Acer Predator Helios 300 running Catalina. Good experience for when I upgrade my audio interface to thunderbolt 3 which I'll also be building a hackintosh pro for some mac only recording software I want to use with the interface.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I have the newest Razer that is over $2k
How do you like it? Seems like if I'm going to drop that much money on a laptop, Razer seems the way to go. I know sentiment is mixed around their accessories, etc. but their gaming laptops seem to definitely be top of the line.

The new model 15 with Quadro RTX 5000...$3,999! Got damn! That's crazy.