Laptop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Props on both your purchases - i have nothing but good things to say about Eluk - plus im a whore for laptops with rear ports and these prices cant be beat.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Well I ordered one too now. All my knowledge about computers is 10+ years old, but those of you keeping up with these things seemed to orgasm all over that spring sale so....

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Damn that Max 15 is sexy. I'd use it purely as a work machine and traveling with it kind of scares me, but price wise it is great.

Screw it, went ahead and ordered. Now I just need to find a new work monitor... well and hopefully get this job offer so I can write this off.

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Damn that Max 15 is sexy. I'd use it purely as a work machine and traveling with it kind of scares me, but price wise it is great.

Screw it, went ahead and ordered. Now I just need to find a new work monitor... well and hopefully get this job offer so I can write this off.

No need to think, just buy!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
what about the "gaming accessory bundle" they have with their spring sale, good deal?

There is also a Free Offers tab that you can add to cart for free stuff at a specific $ threshold. I got 5 HDMI cables bc I didn’t need a mouse or keyboard.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
There is also a Free Offers tab that you can add to cart for free stuff at a specific $ threshold. I got 5 HDMI cables bc I didn’t need a mouse or keyboard.
Thank you! I emailed them and they are gonna throw a mouse in my order.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Also, I did the $0.00 free shipping and it is already shipped with a delivery date of Friday.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
so... what else am I going to need to turn this new laptop into my new desktop gaming rig (with option to take it with me on the go? I work for the airlines so the laptop will serve me well on layovers, etc I'm thinking)?

Will it need any extra cooling "platform" at home to sit on? I plan on (when at home) to of course hook it up to my 27" monitor and use external keyboard/mouse.

I just keep hearing how "hot" laptops get and some people are saying these things freeze up after a few minutes of high end gaming?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
MAX 15 arrived and it works super well. Only issue with it is that the battery life isn't that good. I'm coming off the Legion Y545 that lasted like 45 minutes on a full charge (but I think it was just defective) so this is an improvement, but I feel like the MAX 15 still only lasts like an hour and a half if the brightness is turned up. I haven't timed it out so that's just estimating. Concerned that I got another dud, but hopefully not. I'd like to actually use this one for a good while.

A few questions:

-What's the best way to keep the battery from winding down in life? Keep it plugged in as much as possible, or keep it -not- plugged in as much as possible? I've seen conflicting things.

-There are what looks like two cameras above the screen. Are they both cameras or is one something else? Wondering if I need to cover up one or both.

-Is it a bad thing to hold a laptop like a newspaper (i.e. with the keyboard half vertical instead of flat horizontal)? I'm guessing yeah. However I've got a herniated thoracic disc (in my 30's, dafuq) so when I'm in bed I can't really prop my head up in any way that cranes the neck without causing myself aches and pains. Holding the laptop vertically and reading it that way works better, but I'm concerned it'll mess it up.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
so... what else am I going to need to turn this new laptop into my new desktop gaming rig (with option to take it with me on the go? I work for the airlines so the laptop will serve me well on layovers, etc I'm thinking)?

Will it need any extra cooling "platform" at home to sit on? I plan on (when at home) to of course hook it up to my 27" monitor and use external keyboard/mouse.

I just keep hearing how "hot" laptops get and some people are saying these things freeze up after a few minutes of high end gaming?
Laptop pads are always welcome - some have fans then push air into it - im not sure if the Eluktronics will need the fan but so long as its raised is always good.

MAX 15 arrived and it works super well. Only issue with it is that the battery life isn't that good. I'm coming off the Legion Y545 that lasted like 45 minutes on a full charge (but I think it was just defective) so this is an improvement, but I feel like the MAX 15 still only lasts like an hour and a half if the brightness is turned up. I haven't timed it out so that's just estimating. Concerned that I got another dud, but hopefully not. I'd like to actually use this one for a good while.

A few questions:

-What's the best way to keep the battery from winding down in life? Keep it plugged in as much as possible, or keep it -not- plugged in as much as possible? I've seen conflicting things.

-There are what looks like two cameras above the screen. Are they both cameras or is one something else? Wondering if I need to cover up one or both.

-Is it a bad thing to hold a laptop like a newspaper (i.e. with the keyboard half vertical instead of flat horizontal)? I'm guessing yeah. However I've got a herniated thoracic disc (in my 30's, dafuq) so when I'm in bed I can't really prop my head up in any way that cranes the neck without causing myself aches and pains. Holding the laptop vertically and reading it that way works better, but I'm concerned it'll mess it up.

Gaming laptops with discreet GPU use will always die out quickly - it would be best if you could plug it into something anytime - I am unsurre on cameras as i always go into camera privacy and disable them asap. If it has intel optimus or whatever you can make it so it uses the intel graphics when on battery and that should help some as well.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well this sucks. Eluktronics MAX-15 is chugging along and working really well, until tonight when all of a sudden the B key got...stuck or something. Like on one side it doesn't depress, and you have to push hard on the other side to register the key press.

There was no trauma to the computer or anything that might cause this, just suddenly got stuck. Against my better judgment I pushed on the side that didn't depress, really hard, until it popped and started working normally again. That one particular key now sounds weird and "loose" when I press it. Good news is it's one of the least-used key, never realized how little that letter actually comes into play.

Is this something I should address with the manufacturer? I don't know if it's worth doing an exchange. Don't have a backup computer anymore at this point.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well this sucks. Eluktronics MAX-15 is chugging along and working really well, until tonight when all of a sudden the B key got...stuck or something. Like on one side it doesn't depress, and you have to push hard on the other side to register the key press.

There was no trauma to the computer or anything that might cause this, just suddenly got stuck. Against my better judgment I pushed on the side that didn't depress, really hard, until it popped and started working normally again. That one particular key now sounds weird and "loose" when I press it. Good news is it's one of the least-used key, never realized how little that letter actually comes into play.

Is this something I should address with the manufacturer? I don't know if it's worth doing an exchange. Don't have a backup computer anymore at this point.
were you eating sunflower seeds and dropped one on the keyboard?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Id let them know - i personally raise hell like in dramatic fashion anytime i purchase something that has a singular issue :D

That aside the sale is still ongoing and seems they restocked some of the ones that sold out. The 17inch with 3060 QHD is 1.1k

Lenthan

Trakanon Raider
My Max 15 is banging along Elden Ring quite nicely. Nees to set it up better with everything else I need. Just don't feel like it's worth the time yet.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well, I haven't had any other issues with the B key, don't know what that was all about. The keys in general on the Max 15 do feel like they may not be long for this world overall. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the keyboard needs replacement within 2-3 years. They just feel loose and imperfect, IDK. I'm not worried about it as long as nothing sticks again.

The only thing that's bothering me now is the low RAM. Maybe it's my OCD talking, but going from 32 to 16 RAM feels like a hit. A few things aren't functioning as well, like autofollow in EQ and having a bunch of things open at once. Any kind of system processes also come with a loading hangup for a few seconds.

Would it be worth it to buy a 64 GB RAM stick and replace the 16 with that? (I assume this laptop only has one RAM stick slot, have to check, if it's two I could get two 32s for cheaper).

Also gonna try doing some Bitcoin mining on this (yeah, on a laptop, I know a desktop would be miles better for that). This has an RTX 3080 so it should be able to effectively mine at a good clip. Would more RAM help it mine faster, or is that strictly down to the graphics card and processing?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well, I haven't had any other issues with the B key, don't know what that was all about. The keys in general on the Max 15 do feel like they may not be long for this world overall. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the keyboard needs replacement within 2-3 years. They just feel loose and imperfect, IDK. I'm not worried about it as long as nothing sticks again.

The only thing that's bothering me now is the low RAM. Maybe it's my OCD talking, but going from 32 to 16 RAM feels like a hit. A few things aren't functioning as well, like autofollow in EQ and having a bunch of things open at once. Any kind of system processes also come with a loading hangup for a few seconds.

Would it be worth it to buy a 64 GB RAM stick and replace the 16 with that? (I assume this laptop only has one RAM stick slot, have to check, if it's two I could get two 32s for cheaper).

Also gonna try doing some Bitcoin mining on this (yeah, on a laptop, I know a desktop would be miles better for that). This has an RTX 3080 so it should be able to effectively mine at a good clip. Would more RAM help it mine faster, or is that strictly down to the graphics card and processing?

The Max 15 has 2 RAM slots. I don't see how RAM would cause autofollow to fail unless you have some serious connection issues or hitching causing you to lag outside of autofollow range.

IIRC it's Ethereum that uses the GPU, not Bitcoin. For Bitcoin it's all done on ascis now.

• 1Like