Laptop Computers

Plaid_sl

shitlord
I did this deal with a $100 thanksgiving discountEUROCOM Configuration-- gaming laptop (gtx 765m)

Upgraded to 17" 300nit glossy screen and the 4700mq. for 937 with shipping.

Looks like their inventory has changed....now with 4gb instead of 8gb without upgrading.

I had to email them about honoring the $100 off since the offer had expired.

Langemede

Golden Knight of the Realm
So, my G73JH-1A is finally starting to take a shit. I'm not overly confident is selecting a new replacement. Anyone feel like helping a brother out?

What I'm looking for -

At least 17"
Prefer to have at least a 256GB SSD as the main drive.
Able to run most games - ie: Steam, and Rift (don't laugh)

Budget is about 2,000, maybe 2,500.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Wanted to add this will be used daily for gaming and work. My Asus is almost 3.5 years old, and I'm hoping the replacement lasts as long.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So, my G73JH-1A is finally starting to take a shit. I'm not overly confident is selecting a new replacement. Anyone feel like helping a brother out?

What I'm looking for -

At least 17"

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Wanted to add this will be used daily for gaming and work. My Asus is almost 3.5 years old, and I'm hoping the replacement lasts as long.
Asus I don't think has dropped at all in terms of quality. You could easily pick up another Asus and do alright.

For that budget, I feel you'd get exactly what you wanted going with a custom built laptop. A forum that has helped me out a TON and are always very helpful is over at Notebook Review.

What Notebook Should I Buy? - A Laptop Buyers Guide

Fill out their form, and post it up with what kind of things you'll be using it for, etc and they'll make some recommendations. Best of luck. Wish I had the same budget right now.
wink.png

Langemede

Golden Knight of the Realm
So, apparently I am a member of that forum already. Looks like I signed up back in '08 to do something on the laptop I owned prior to my G73. Thanks, I've posted a thread there, and am awaiting input.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Need some help on getting my dad a laptop. Below is what I'm looking to have in it:

1) Windows 7 (or how hard is it to remove the silly Windows 8 Tiles and revert the look to W7)
2) Hook up to a TV (HDMI)
3) Bigger screen as he is older

Hoping not to spend more then 600.

Thanks guys!
Lenovo G510 Laptop | Entry-Level Laptop | Lenovo (US)

This deal is going on right now.

As far as Windows 7 or 8 goes, just stick with 8 and install Classic Start. Windows 8 is a better OS and with Classic Start it will function EXACTLY like 7. Very simple to setup (install it off of ninite.com). The guys here rave about the Y410 or Y510(?) but thought I'd put this in front of you anyways.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Ordered my Y510 last week but won't get it until next week =(

How hard would it be to replace to 24gig SSD with something bigger, and would it void any warranty? Also is it difficulty to replace RAM in a laptop? never taken one apart before.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
RAM is usually pretty simple and easy to replace, I have never screwed with SSDs before so not sure about them.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
SSD is just like changing standard HDD, easier typically than changing the RAM - and RAM is usually pretty easy, though it was a bit of a pain to change in my M18x.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Think my 4 1/2 year old gaming laptop just died today. Froze during gaming, now it takes forever to boot up and can't really do anything on the desktop. Programs don't load or anything. Was only a matter of time I suppose. First it was the battery, then DVD drive, then speakers, now this... Hope I can still salvage my game save files.

Saban_sl

shitlord
Think my 4 1/2 year old gaming laptop just died today. Froze during gaming, now it takes forever to boot up and can't really do anything on the desktop. Programs don't load or anything. Was only a matter of time I suppose. First it was the battery, then DVD drive, then speakers, now this... Hope I can still salvage my game save files.
Mine keeps overheating, and its just getting to that point where i think its going to fail in dramatic fashion soon and i don't want to get stuck without a computer away at work so i ordered a new one finally.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ordered my Y510 last week but won't get it until next week =(

How hard would it be to replace to 24gig SSD with something bigger, and would it void any warranty? Also is it difficulty to replace RAM in a laptop? never taken one apart before.
The 24G SSD and the RAM are both the same "difficulty" to replace in a y510p. I just got around to putting this128G SSDinto my new y510p. The easy part is removing the 9 screws from the underside of the comp. The somewhat harder part is keeping your Hulk strength in check while you unsnap the plastic case that was clearly not designed to be easily unsnapped. If you want to void your warranty, that's the step to do it on.

I don't have time to install Win 8 on the new SSD tonight though. That's tomorrow's project.

Saban_sl

shitlord
I might leave the 24gig alone and just use the ultrabay for another SSD, we'll see. Ram does need to updated to 16gigs though.

how big is the windows 8 folder anyway?

Edit: Just noticed my windows 7 folder is 37 gigs, so i guess maybe the base SSD might need to get replaced right away.

Beef

Silver Knight of the Realm
Need some advice. I'm looking for a cheap laptop for an 8 year old that can run Minecraft. The Lenovo G505 seems good but if anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

What I'm looking for -

At least 17"

Thanks in advance.

Toshiba Qosmio X75-A7298 17.3-Inch Laptop
I'm going to buy this one I think.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
What do you guys think of this laptop for my girlfriend? She's been living off a little netbook since 2009. Only game she's been able to play is Heroes of Might and Magic 2. I've wanted to get her a slightly larger real laptop capable of basic gaming so I've been on the hunt for a Haswell 14" with the HD4600 at a reasonable price. Found the new Lenovo Z410 with an i3 for 469 after discounts. Her only sitpulation is it being able to run Civ5 (I love her) Opinions on the haswell integrated performance, from my research the HD4600 is quite solid should be able to let her game a bit.

http://shop.lenovo.com/usstudents/us...z-series/z410/

Model with i3-4000m 6gb ram

Saban_sl

shitlord
So just got my Y510p and noticed an oddity while updating my battle.net system beta specs. It shows im running the hd4200 or whatever intel integrated graphics, when it should say Nvidia 755m. Does the integrated graphics run alongside the gpu or do i need to disable something like old onboard graphics?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
You need to tell Nvidia optimus which exe's need the dedicated graphics. By default most stuff runs on the integrated to save power.

Kaita

Golden Squire
Does anyone have any recommendations for a windows laptop in the 11.6 screen size range under $350?