Latin fever ( not the good kind )

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The scary part is the birth defects associated with it.

rrr_img_124337.jpg

It's especially insidious because it makes babies extra cute, but extra stupid. Many are calling it the Kim Kardashian of diseases.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
That shit is scary, and it is transmitted by the same mosquito that gives yellow fever and dengue, the aedes aegypti.

khorum

Murder Apologist
The virus is was predicted as part of the whole disaster about using the waters around Rio for the Olympic Venues. Just the prospect of rowing or even being NEAR the water as a spectator in Rio is nauseating. I don't see how they could clean that shit up in six months at all. Last time I was there it was practically an open sewer.

According to the AP,as of July 2015 the water hasn't been un-seweredand I can't see how they train six million Brazilians to stop using it like an open-air toilet.

Associated Press_sl said:
RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - Athletes in next year's Summer Olympics here will be swimming and boating in waters so contaminated with human feces that they risk becoming violently ill and unable to compete in the games, an Associated Press investigation has found.

An AP analysis of water quality revealed dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria from human sewage in Olympic and Paralympic venues - results that alarmed international experts and dismayed competitors training in Rio, some of whom have already fallen ill with fevers, vomiting and diarrhea.

It is the first independent comprehensive testing for both viruses and bacteria at the Olympic sites.
Extreme water pollution is common in Brazil, where the majority of sewage is not treated. Raw waste runs through open-air ditches to streams and rivers that feed the Olympic water sites.

As a result, Olympic athletes are almost certain to come into contact withdisease-causing viruses that in some tests measured up to 1.7 million times the level of what would be considered hazardous on a Southern California beach.

"What you have there is basically raw sewage," said John Griffith, a marine biologist at the Southern California Coastal Water Research Project. Griffith examined the protocols, methodology and results of the AP tests.
Gross.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
That shit is scary, and it is transmitted by the same mosquito that gives yellow fever and dengue, the aedes aegypti.
Here is the policy dilemma. The pesticide DDT was used to kill mosquitoes for several decades. It had the negative side effect of being a possible carcinogen plus a threat to birds (kills their eggs). The environmentalists got the pesticide DDT banned worldwide back in the 1970s.

In perhaps the best example in the history of mankind, the Law of Unintended Consequences kicked in as a result of the DDT ban. There are estimates that up to 60 million people have died from malaria since the ban on DDT.

Now some people are suggesting that to fight the Zika virus we should either 1) unban DDT or 2) engage in genetic engineering where the end result is the complete eradication of mosquitoes from existence.

Is it safe to proclaim that option 1 is the least radical option?

iannis

Musty Nester
Its real enough.

I half expect the Gates Foundation to actually throw some money at it. They've been working on malaria, and this being a mosqito bourne problem effecting some of the poorest parts of the world... it seems like a good fit.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Here is the policy dilemma. The pesticide DDT was used to kill mosquitoes for several decades. It had the negative side effect of being a possible carcinogen plus a threat to birds (kills their eggs). The environmentalists got the pesticide DDT banned worldwide back in the 1970s.

In perhaps the best example in the history of mankind, the Law of Unintended Consequences kicked in as a result of the DDT ban. There are estimates that up to 60 million people have died from malaria since the ban on DDT.

Now some people are suggesting that to fight the Zika virus we should either 1) unban DDT or 2) engage in genetic engineering where the end result is the complete eradication of mosquitoes from existence.

Is it safe to proclaim that option 1 is the least radical option?
I am all for the eradication of mosquitos. I keep seeing articles about how it can be done by breeding mosquitos that can't reproduce, but I don't really understand that.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am all for the eradication of mosquitos. I keep seeing articles about how it can be done by breeding mosquitos that can't reproduce, but I don't really understand that.
Something about them blowing their load once from what I remember reading about it a long time ago but I am no entomologist.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
The question then becomes what unforeseen consequence is out there if we eradicate mosquitoes? If the world had known 60 million people would die largely thanks to the DDT ban would that have changed someone's opinion on whether to ban it or not? I'm not aware of any positive contribution mosquitoes provide to the ecosystem. Are they in the food chain somewhere?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Listen to the podcast I linked earlier.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Is Brazil, "India" of the Americas?
Well they're the B in BRICS, after all so... yeah. They can't be anywhere near as bad as India though. Brazilians DO poo in their loos, it's just that they flush it all straight into the river.

Indians are on a whole different plane of public pooing.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The question then becomes what unforeseen consequence is out there if we eradicate mosquitoes? If the world had known 60 million people would die largely thanks to the DDT ban would that have changed someone's opinion on whether to ban it or not? I'm not aware of any positive contribution mosquitoes provide to the ecosystem. Are they in the food chain somewhere?
No, nothing eats mosquitos. God literaly put them here to punish us for multiculturalism.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Basically these genetically altered male mosquitoes are released. They breed with the female normal mosquitoes. The eggs the female lays turn to mush because science.

Apparently can reduce populations of mosquitoes where they're released by 90+%