Latin fever ( not the good kind )

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
The questions here made me think - and I like that.
I was aware that birds, bats and dragonflies will use mosquitoes for food but then I sought out additional information. So mosquitoes are an opportunity for food for them but not even a preferred meal - Nat Geo information indicated that there are two species of spiders (and they used the phrase convergent evolution in the description of them) that actually prefer mosquitoes for food. One is a Malaysian Jumping Spider and the other a jumping spider from Tropical Africa. The former actually dines on the mosquito, the latter - uses it - and I paraphrase the quote ; "like a syringe" to feed off of the blood. Cool shit.
Anyway = DDT then was next on my list because in my old lady head I thought it had been linked to cancer. Reasons for the "banning": It stays around a long fucking time, species developed resistance to it,possiblehuman carcinogen - mostly in the liver as it likes to hang out in fatty tissues but that may be information needed in the weight loss thread. It has approved use for control of Malaria and each country gets to decide if they use it or not.

The other ick that is prevalent in the water supply of Brazil though,Blech,not that I'm going. G always wanted to go to Brazil. Hope he's there now but not as a virus or a pregnant woman or as the child born with microcephally.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
In south america, you just drink juice everything. I barely touched water in my time there. They got tropical fruits growing like weeds everywhere, so they might as well use them.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Aren't you supposed to be the pro-science champion of the forums?

Zika virus 'spreading explosively,' WHO leader says - CNN.com
Didn't the WHO also say that within a year of the ebola outbreak that millions of people would end up dying?

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't seem like anything eats mosquitoes as a primary food source. I thought for sure that bats and probably some kind of bird (starlings?) ate a ton of them. It's kind of strange that they're really just a parasite with no good use.

WHITE PENIS_sl

shitlord
Didn't the WHO also say that within a year of the ebola outbreak that millions of people would end up dying?

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't seem like anything eats mosquitoes as a primary food source. I thought for sure that bats and probably some kind of bird (starlings?) ate a ton of them. It's kind of strange that they're really just a parasite with no good use.
The great point made on that podcast is that while they might not be a primary source by removing them you can throw off the balance of other insect populations as they then get eaten more and then create some unforeseen domino effect..

Itzena_sl

shitlord
No, I think that was Fox News and CNN.
smile.png

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
The great point made on that podcast is that while they might not be a primary source by removing them you can throw off the balance of other insect populations as they then get eaten more and then create some unforeseen domino effect..
I'm pretty sure I would personally kill every single albino spotted owl, dodo bird, and white rhino in existence with my bare hands if it meant the complete eradication of mosquitoes.

WHITE PENIS_sl

shitlord
I'm pretty sure I would personally kill every single albino spotted owl, dodo bird, and white rhino in existence with my bare hands if it meant the complete eradication of mosquitoes.
well, if you just killed all the Africans and South Americans the mosquitoes might die off; worth a shot...

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Why would you kill of the population that gives one of the most beatifull women in the world?
Also recola, there are other ways of getting rid of the mosquito, without using ddt. I think we are not at a stage were I can justify the use of ddt.

But don't get me wrong, if Ebola were somehow transmitted by mosquitos, I would distribute gas mask to the population and cover the whole world in ddt. Other animals be damned.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The scary part is the birth defects associated with it.

rrr_img_124337.jpg

It's especially insidious because it makes babies extra cute, but extra stupid. Many are calling it the Kim Kardashian of diseases.
More proof that there is a kind and caring god smiling down upon us!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
so is this like ebola where if you own a bar of soap and actually use it on yourself everyday you pretty much will never catch this bullshit or is it some kind of super strain that kills everyone and not just the people who drink their own shit after shittin it out?

Rime

<Donor>
so is this like ebola where if you own a bar of soap and actually use it on yourself everyday you pretty much will never catch this bullshit or is it some kind of super strain that kills everyone and not just the people who drink their own shit after shittin it out?
If you get bit by an infected mosquito, you have a chance of contracting it. Unless you are walking around swathed in netting or drenched in chemicals, if you are in one of the areas, there is a chance that you can get it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If you get bit by an infected mosquito, you have a chance of contracting it. Unless you are walking around swathed in netting or drenched in chemicals, if you are in one of the areas, there is a chance that you can get it.
im italian, mosquitoes dont fuck with me.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
so is this like ebola where if you own a bar of soap and actually use it on yourself everyday you pretty much will never catch this bullshit
Wait. What? What the fuck did you just say? You think that ebola isn't highly contagious and can easily be defeated by basic hygiene and cleanliness?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Wait. What? What the fuck did you just say? You think that ebola isn't highly contagious and can easily be defeated by basic hygiene and cleanliness?
of course, thats how pretty much every disease spreads. from dirty fuckers doing dirty fucking things