League Of Legends

Golt_sl

shitlord
Well, SKT looked really good last night. I do have to say that I'm pretty bummed we didn't get a close final set though, the only game that was even interesting was game two. Game three looked like a diamond vs bronze stomping. Outside of the analyst desk and game two, watching the event felt like kind of a waste of time.
Pretty much. Best matches of the entire series was NJS vs SKT1 imo

Buffylol

N00b
I am sorry that a multi million dollar event was sponsored by riot and streamed for free for millions across the globe. I am sure they will cater to your specific needs on tournament setup next year.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am sorry that a multi million dollar event was sponsored by riot and streamed for free for millions across the globe. I am sure they will cater to your specific needs on tournament setup next year.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the way they did their brackets. I'm pretty sure everyone was pretty disappointed by the grand finals.

It would've been nice if they had a loser bracket so more teams could fight each other and have a better chance of coming back to get to the grand finals.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the way they did their brackets. I'm pretty sure everyone was pretty disappointed by the grand finals.

It would've been nice if they had a loser bracket so more teams could fight each other and have a better chance of coming back to get to the grand finals.
Yup. Getting a million Mineski/GGEU games and then only seeing C9 getting one Bo3 against a rampaging (at the time) Fnatic? Horrible tournament design. Invite 12-16 teams and run a losers bracket so the good matchup's that we want to see can actually happen. Either that or run everybody through groups because seeing good high profile teams going out after one loss is just pathetic. Valve did an end of the season tournament right with TI3. Fan supplemented prize pool + losers bracket for a bunch of great games made the actual event much more pleasurable to watch.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Ya.. thats what they claim.. im just not sure its really true...
Its true. way back in the day, before the age of rank, they used to have a list of the top normal players and ways to look up what "rank" you were.

Golt_sl

shitlord
It was definitely a pretty cool event, but there were still a lot of things worth bringing up/discussing. The format probably being the biggest issue (imo). People criticizing things is how they improve (analyst desk this year anyone?). I'm hoping they change the format to double elimination, allowing a loser's bracket similar to how The International is run for Dota2. I also think they took a step back as for as closing ceremony went. It felt really brief. They didn't even acknowledge the 2nd place team, or Montecristo for winning the prediction results. Felt a bit rushed

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Double elimination for the entire tourney? Ew.

The main complaint you guys have is that certain teams got too long a bye. It's only the preliminaries that were bad, the quarterfinals on were great.

Golt_sl

shitlord
Double elimination for the entire tourney? Ew.

The main complaint you guys have is that certain teams got too long a bye. It's only the preliminaries that were bad, the quarterfinals on were great.
Why would you say ew to that? They could have made the initial round robin just 1 wave instead of 2, proceeded to loser brackets' for the 3/5 that didn't make it out of each grp, had less games overall from the grp stages and more from quarterfinals on, with the better teams playing more games. Doesn't seem nearly that bad to me, you would have had less games of GG.eu / mineski and whatnot overall, instead of meaningless matches in the 2nd set of grp stages matches.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Must say the overall production value was excellent. My friend and I streamed the coverage to my big screen and it was like we were watching any other major sporting event.

I do think they need to reassess the tournament structure. I'd personally like to see a World Cup like style (put the 4 numbers 1s in a jug, 4 number 2s, etc). I just think it is silly to have the top 4 teams play the least amount of games - those are the teams everyone wants to see. Also, this would allow 16 teams so more of the korean teams could make it in.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The double round robin for each pool took quite a bit of time to run for not much value. I would much rather have had the top 8 (or top 16, if possible) already established going in to Worlds and then have the format be double elimination. I was never a fan of double elim until I started watching fighting game tournaments but now I think it's great. You can get such great narratives with it. Rematches against the player that sent you to losers, bracket resets in the finals, upsets sending good players to losers and the fight to stay in the tournament, etc.

sebur

Bronze Squire
I agree with the format needing some work. If for nothing else but the meta can be so different between regions that until you actually play against it, it can be hard to game plan it. You can watch all the video you want but until you experience it, you really don't get a good feel for it.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Here is a quick visualization of what TI3's structure looked like - group stages seeded you into brackets, and lower seeds got put in best of 1 win or die scenarios in the loser's bracket. It definitely isn't perfect - but it is something to compare total games played to what riot put on. I think both tournaments could tweak their structures - but riot's was worse by far.

The International 2013 - Liquipedia Dota2 Wiki

Yup. I just think the one and done of the top ranked teams is not good for LoL as an e-sport because it kills interest. I mean look at Fnatic. They got destroyed by Vulcun and then had an embarrassing win against GGEU that they actually came close to losing as their first two efforts in the tournament. However since they were in groups they got to iron the kinks out and place top four overall. The eventual winners of the whole thing also dropped an early game against OMG who got knocked out in the quarters. It just isn't satisfying from a competitive standpoint as a viewer and fan of the game that One false start can cost a quality team their whole tournament. That is why for the most part in sports that can allow it (football being an obvious exception) you either get everyone in groups/double elimination or the teams play a larger series of games against eachother (5-7) in order to discover who is the better team over a larger sample.

TI3's structure should be the baseline for this kind of tournament. I don't really play DOTA2 or follow it on a regular basis, but I found the event much better to watch then the S3 Worlds.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wish there was more information about who scrimmaged who during the week leading up. Swore i heard Montecristo on the cast say that SKT went like 30-3 vs Royal in scrims?

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apparently just a bug and you have to somehow edit your league to allow you to host a game like that? I read you can get banned if you host these types of games though, although if you join it you "should" be okay. Either way, I don't want to take the chance so I'll wait and hope it actually becomes a feature. :p

So glitchy with certain champions though. can only have 2 turrets out (even if you have 10 heimers!) every zed shadow uses his Q and E even if it's an enemy zed shadow. Every syndra ball gets picked up etc etc. Would take a lot of tweaking to get it working correctly but it would be fun as hell.

Xalara

Golden Squire
Public service announcement to people who play ADCs. You are not a split pusher. If you want to split push alone do not split push. If you think you can split push, no you cannot and you're better off sticking with the team.

Lost my third game today due to an ADC that kept thinking split pushing was better than team fighting.