League Of Legends

Denaut

Trump's Staff
I'm generally ok with even the more restrictive version. It is sticky because those players are salaried employees rather than just paid endorsers, but it can also be considered a non-compete clause. Your employer can generally say you are not allowed to work for a competing company while you work for them.

If you are paid a salary to publicize company A, then it is reasonable that you are not allowed to publicize for companies B-Z. Now, defining B-Z should be part of a fair negotiation which will only happen if the players form an association which they should do. I took a look at the list and did not find it even close to restrictive.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The contract is quite lenient compared to contracts signed by other athlete's (if that's the term they are going to stick with). Hell, it's more lenient than my contract at my IT company. The reddit shitstorm is caused by thousands of people who have never had to sign any kind of contract and have no idea what companies actually expect their employees to do.

That being said, I don't think all those other companies are actually correct in their approach, and this LCS contract looks wonky as fuck from what we've seen so far. It would make more sense if it WAS an old one but Riot hasn't claimed that themselves yet. Either way, it has such a minimal impact on anything that it's a joke the attention it's getting. The weird treatment of featured streamers is worse.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
This article has a lot of back story that even a major Riot hater such as myself did not even know. I love the fact that they have people with a publicly dirty image in important positions.

http://www.esportsheaven.com/article...9#.UqDmt02p69a

I can only imagine how awesome LoL would be with a company that actually cared about the gamers. You see all these indie games that keep on giving and giving for so little, but here we have Riot trying to force other games out of the e-sport market just to make some ez $$$.

This is basically like the large corporations like Walmart and McDonalds, but in the gaming world. Sure mcD/Wally could pay their employees a living wage, but more profit sounds better. Sure, Riot could use their money for the community, give free champions/skins, update the game with needed features in a timely manner, but taking control of the e-sports scene and profit sound better.

If it isn't obvious I'm against big asshole corps.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Riot communicates with their costumers all the time. They even turn player-made skins into a reality. They frequently talk on Reddit and do AMAs. They do a lot of champion lore and videos. They even do sales and shit because so many people want sales. (Legacy skins, rune page sales etc etc) How can you say they don't care about their players?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
DeLLy only comes into this thread to post stuff that some people find problems with. He's essentially trolling people to get them to hate Riot with him.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Riot communicates with their costumers all the time. They even turn player-made skins into a reality. They frequently talk on Reddit and do AMAs. They do a lot of champion lore and videos. They even do sales and shit because so many people want sales. (Legacy skins, rune page sales etc etc) How can you say they don't care about their players?
Player made skins into reality: Someone does free concept art for them and they appropriate it, what nice guys.
Sales: Rune pages are a ripoff no matter how much they discount them.
They only care for players insofar as care translates into $$$.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I would agree with you on the skin part if that initial artist also did all the modeling and animations that go with the new skin. But that's the easy part right?

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
I would agree with you on the skin part if that initial artist also did all the modeling and animations that go with the new skin. But that's the easy part right?
There was a Riot AMA a while back in which someone asked why certain champions rarely if ever have a skin released. The answer was something to the effect that it takes a long time to come up with unique skins that are more than just a retexture: skins that fit into the lore, are creative, and alter the default skin in a way that is very visible in game.

So, yeah, I think appropriating fan concept art without recompense is pretty scummy.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think the problem comes with the fact that the players have to server 2 masters - the team and Riot. EG is known to have required streaming hours and if the players are forced to stream only LoL and not the last big release or just free to try out any game they fancy, everyone suffers. Watching your favorite progamer play a game you aren't familiar with or was just released is usually much more interesting than watching them play the same game for umpteenth time. Mostly because you know you are watching something unique, not something you can tune into the next day. So it makes the streamers a bit less interesting and loses revenue for everyone.

Probably the best take on the whole thing:Riot's Contracts of Coercion | Articles | Esports Heaven

Delly

Trakanon Raider
DeLLy only comes into this thread to post stuff that some people find problems with. He's essentially trolling people to get them to hate Riot with him.
Sorry, if we had a Riot thread I wouldn't shit up your precious LoL thread. The article had a lot of good information. Though keep being salty, I wasn't even responding to you.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Player made skins into reality:
Someone does free concept art for them and they appropriate it, what nice guys.
Sales: Rune pages are a ripoff no matter how much they discount them.
They only care for players insofar as care translates into $$$.
It's a free-to-play game and you can purchase rune pages with in-game currency.

There was a Riot AMA a while back in which someone asked why certain champions rarely if ever have a skin released. The answer was something to the effect that it takes a long time to come up with unique skins that are more than just a retexture: skins that fit into the lore, are creative, and alter the default skin in a way that is very visible in game.
eh... you misinterpreted the AMA. It's the model & rigs that make it hard. A lot of the older champs have bad rigs that is hard to model for. Rumble is usually the example used since apparently his rig is a mess. Also champs like Zyra and Udyr that have a TON of models per skin.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

So, yeah, I think appropriating fan concept art without recompense is pretty scummy.
Right, because Riot is out scouring the internet for people who make fan-art so they can steal it. The players definitely don't submit skin ideas because they want to use it in the game even if they have to pay for it.

drtyrm

Lord Nagafen Raider
That article has its share of flaws.

Almost no-one heard of "Hearthstone" from watching a LoL players stream.
Hearthstone was being streamed by all the top LCS pro players. As I type this, Bjergsen has 30k viewers and OddOne has 17k viewers. You don't think Riot is reacting to this free publicity? This is a business decision that appears was made due to the spike in views and success of Twitch.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
It's a free-to-play game and you can purchase rune pages with in-game currency.
So? Having rune pages for every champion / role is a necessity to play ranked draft. Having to spend a shitload of in-game currency on rune pages, when Riot could easily make runes alterable in champion select like masteries, is ridiculous.

eh... you misinterpreted the AMA. It's the model & rigs that make it hard. A lot of the older champs have bad rigs that is hard to model for. Rumble is usually the example used since apparently his rig is a mess. Also champs like Zyra and Udyr that have a TON of models per skin.
That was an excuse for some champions, but Riot stated that for many champions the hardest part was coming up with a concept that would be unique and visible in game. Eve was the primary example: None of her current skins are really visible in game, and Riot has yet to come up with a new skin for her that is unique and visible in game.

The champions with "creative" issues far outnumber the ones with "technical" issues from my memory of the AMA.