League Of Legends

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hybrid pen is good for laning because Mage auto attacks are are significant source of damage before they get rolling with items and levels. They don't scale into late game though. That's really the problem with Hybrids, lategame. Everything works ok until you start hitting 4, 5, 6 item builds, then it falls apart. Can still murder squishies though.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's really the problem with Hybrids, lategame. Everything works ok until you start hitting 4, 5, 6 item builds, then it falls apart. Can still murder squishies though.
Isn't the lack of ARP or MP kind of the point of a hybrid build though? You do both types of damage so that in and of itself is your penetration stat. When you are 100% AD you need Armor Pen to diminish the effect of stacking armor against you. If you are AD and AP the AP is your penetration on high armor targets. If a hybrid pen stat existed on items it seems to me it would be way too powerful. Could you imagine Poppy or Jax with hybrid pen items?

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jax builds AD anyway though - at least at the high level play. It's exceptionally rare to see Jax with a Hextech or Guinsoo. Same with Poppy, Akali, Kayle, Katarina, and Eve, they all build almost exclusively AP or AD even though they have scalings for both, so the 'hybrid' is just built into the character. The mixed damage works well against squishies, who can usually only get 1 defensive item, but it is worse against fatties than dedicated AP or AD damage.

Obviously this is just all leaguecrafting though, you run into all kinds of situations in games where anything is possible. I have no doubt there's people with wins as AP Riven out there. I'm mostly just talking about the theoretical optimal builds, which rarely come to fruition anyway.

For what it's worth, AP Jax is my favorite non-traditional build that I started doing because of theorycrafting. It's fun as hell but viable in like 1/2 the games of a regular Jax build.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
What would a Jax typically build after TForce -> BoTRK -> GA/SV/Randuins and boots? I've never seen a game get to that point with a Jax in it on the "pro" scene.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you need armor, Randuins. If you need MR, Spirit Visage. On fringe cases (tied to needing to be able to defend vs or engage in split pushing) Last Whisper.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Isn't the lack of ARP or MP kind of the point of a hybrid build though? You do both types of damage so that in and of itself is your penetration stat. When you are 100% AD you need Armor Pen to diminish the effect of stacking armor against you. If you are AD and AP the AP is your penetration on high armor targets. If a hybrid pen stat existed on items it seems to me it would be way too powerful. Could you imagine Poppy or Jax with hybrid pen items?
That is my though in the theorycraft world. When you have a champ, in lane, that is both AD and AP based, and when you have a champ that takes equally from both pools, toss in some hyrbid pene to go against base stats, then you have a champ that you have to build both armor and mr against.

I think that may be a trend as the tank meta plays itself out as different popular champs get nerfed/"balanced". It's worth exploring anyway.

sebur

Bronze Squire
Finished last promo game, went 7-3 and got placed in bronze 1.
What were you last season or did you not play ranked at all previously? Sounds kinda low to me for that many wins. I personally went 2-8 not caring to much lol. So I ended up silver 3 and have started the climb.

penalty_sl

shitlord
What were you last season or did you not play ranked at all previously? Sounds kinda low to me for that many wins. I personally went 2-8 not caring to much lol. So I ended up silver 3 and have started the climb.
I hit level 30 about 2 weeks ago and placed silver 4. Didn't bother playing any games since new ladder was starting so soon.

7-3 crushing face and I'm a bronzie. T_T

sebur

Bronze Squire
Haha, ya sounds about right. I actually just went on a 4 game win streak and skipped from s3 to s1...gotta love getting it in early.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I got the same as Bloodfrenzy. Gold II, went 6-4 and got Silver III. But I was on a huge losing streak right before the reset.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Gold 3.. went 4-6 in promos with 3 games with people saying "sorry guys trying to get demoted".. ended up silver 1.. getting 25-27 points a win. Already back to promos and am 1-1.. must say, it feels like a lot of awful people are playing right now. Most of my games have been huge stomp fests one way or the other.

Just gonna ride my jungle Elise back to gold.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
went 6 - 4 in provisional, ended up bronze 5. i was silver five before s4 reset. heres to climbing, maybe ill learn something this time. ;p

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
i honestly don't understand how i keep getting the teams i get. i'm ultra positive, i always fill, i try and help, never be rude, but holy shit i get nothing but scumbags, leavers, and once a guy who just said FAGGOTKIKE FAGGOTKIKE FAGGOTKIKE every 30 seconds on the dot. i don't see how it's possible to level, i usually go like 9-3-5 on average.