League Of Legends

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
supposedly the drastic drops are because rito fucked up the reset timing and it isn't or at least always isn't counting your pre season rank ups. So if you were actually XX5 at season end and then went to XX1 during pre season that whole grind didn't actually count as far as their weighing system went.
Riot probably has changed many things behind the scenes, but I think the MMR system (which is behind the League/LP system) hasn't undergone too many changes.
That said, from my observations playing since end of Season 1, here's why you experience drastic drops (and honestly, Gold 3 to Silver 4 isn't that drastic during a soft reset).

Starting MMR for an unranked player who never played ranked before is 1200 (with some consideration given to what your Normal games MMR is). I don't know how that equates to the League system exactly, but most assumptions are 1200 MMR is Silver V, 0 LP.
During placement matches the system tries VERY aggressively to put you into your correct MMR tier, so each game is +/- about 50 MMR
This aggressiveness slowly decays until you only get +/- 11 to 14 MMR per game.
It takes about 25 to 30 games to get to that 11-14 per game range, which means even games after the first 10 have a big influence on how fast you rank up.
That said, your placements are super critical in that each game is worth about 2-4 Normal Ranked games.

For those that don't know how the soft reset works, first, estimate your end-of-season rating:

Not exact ranges but close:
Silver V = 1200
Gold V = 1500
Plat V = 1800

The generally accepted formula is (Your MMR+1200)/2

In my case, Plat 2 is suppose to be around 2100 (from things I've read).
(2100+1200)/2 = 1650
Just the soft reset alone puts me in Gold 3 range without playing any games.

Then, because I went 2-8 in placements, and with every game equating to about 2.5 Normal games, I realistically went 5-20 in placements which is 15 games below .500.
15*12= -180
1650-180 = 1470 MMR.

This would put me high Silver 1, but it's also very close to Gold V. Obviously there are lots of factors at play here, but close 'nuff.

Using Rod's example:

Gold 3 is about 1600 MMR
After soft reset he's at 1400 which is Silver 2-3 range.
4-6 in Placements is about 5 more losses than wins in Normal MMR ranked games.
5*12 = -60 MMR
1400-60 = 1340 MMR, which is Silver 3-4 Range.

Again, it's going to vary wildly by when your wins/losses took place in Placements and what your exact MMR was and also what the breakpoints for the Leagues are, but it comes out close (within 50 MMR).

Just remember Game 1 of Placements is about +/- 50 MMR and game 10 of Placements is about +/- 25 MMR then you have another 10-20 games until you are back to 11-14 MMR per game.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone in our fantasy league need a jungler badly?
I just picked up Kirei on Dig who played really damn well last week, although I'm giving Airwaks another shot since they are playing shittier teams this week. If both fail to impress I might be looking for a trade.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Think Ill stick with Rush for now, if C9 struggles maybe I'll look for a trade.
I'm open to offers for my OG and FOX players. They are the cornerstone of my team though so idk.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Check out the current ranked distribution graph:op.gg

Over 50% of players are currently Bronze.

1 Person is Challenger(Master) already in NA.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
First game tonight: 20 minute surrender where my team's soraka was level 5 at 20 minutes, was 0/10/0, and had spent 18 minutes of that calling the whole team American Inventors because she got blitz hooked at level 1.

Good times.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
yea it's a shit show for sure, just trying to power through it. I've already lost 3 games to afk'rs or dcs. Then you have the shitty players and bad attitudes, lol. Almost in promos to gold IV but it's a struggle.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
So, how many placement matches are there? 10? Currently at 6-2.

EDIT: Ended up 7-3 in placements. Got Silver V. Feels bad man

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
man.. so now Freeze isn't starting this weekend due to a 'personal matter'.. I can't catch a break, REN looked poised to score alot of points this week, and he's the one who was likely gonna benefit the most from that. At least I was able to switch huhi in for him.

With cabochard, and vitality, finally getting their act together, I may have a good top and jungle to trade off after this week at least.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
2-0'd my promos and skipped from Gold 5 to Gold 3. Had a suspicion it would happen since I get 30 LP a win but never did skip before so kinda neat anyway
biggrin.png

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
FOX has to forfeit today's game. Don't play any players on FOX or that play against FOX.

LoL Esports

You'll only get 1 game of points (tomorrow)

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
1) Hai can never be subbed out while he's on the active roster.
2) I can't tell if either Seraph had great tps, or c9 just completely ignored the possibility of him porting in over and over again.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
FOX has to forfeit today's game. Don't play any players on FOX or that play against FOX.

LoL Esports

You'll only get 1 game of points (tomorrow)
wow.. I entered like 10 drafts on alphadraft for today, using 2-3 NRG players as the base of my lineups in all of them.. at least they get base points for unplayed games, but I doubt it'll be enough to get into the money on most.

Eonan

Doer of Things
I give up on this game, every season there seems to be some new mechanic in ranked to drive players into the shitshow that is Bronze initially. GG Riot you win.