Legacy of FrostStone - A Velious Server

arcana_sl

shitlord
We are in testing right now, a small group of us are getting the bugs out of the game by actually leveling and correcting things that are not in era. We are in continuous development, players are asked to help improve the server by reporting out of era differences. No server reset will be happening.

The server is actually in a locked state mainly because we are testing, this is why you will not see a population just yet. I have let certain people play on the server that are honest about reporting bugs and helping do the research needed. Opening will be July 1 at 8am.

• Content up to velious (day before luclin release)
  • Max level of 60
  • Single server connection (no boxing, ever)
  • No MQ2 or other third party programs
  • No: bots, no mercs
  • No: AAs, corpse summoners, rezzers, translocators, spell scribers, bazaar, xtarget
  • Soulbinders and Shared Bank
  • Experience rates closer to classic EQ
  • No donation system
  • Extremely robust server & extremely high up-time
  • Login through either EqEmu or separate login server
  • Working boats!
  • Compatible with Titanium, SoF, UF, RoF and RoF2 clients
  • Fixed ruleset, little to no room for discussion
  • Looking to build up a friendly player community

Before you get started please read ourserver rulesandhow to connectguide. You will need ourfile pack, which will include our spell file. Also please join our forum and introduce yourself.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Legacy of Froststone definitely gets an endorsement from me. i've been working on this beta a bit. arcana and crew are still working on classic-ifying the database, but changes come quick and arcana spends the majority of his freetime working on this server. needs more eyes to catch non-classic inconsistencies, though.

no boxing allowed.

arcana_sl

shitlord
Legacy of Froststone definitely gets an endorsement from me. i've been working on this beta a bit. arcana and crew are still working on classic-ifying the database, but changes come quick and arcana spends the majority of his freetime working on this server. needs more eyes to catch non-classic inconsistencies, though.

no boxing allowed.
I appreciate that.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
free bump for arcana. i'm still enjoying my time here. more classic changes happening every day. its not as classic as P99 of course, but if you want a Velious-era server that isn't stupidly overcrowded this is your best bet.

small but dedicated base of very chill players right now. highest level is 42 currently.

uses a newer client so there's lots of QOL features that this server has that P99 doesn't. things like spell sets, map, compass, etc. those might be taken out at a later date, but for now the server is focusing on improving the DB rather than the tedious task of hacking the client just to remove useful things...

Aleatha

Silver Knight of the Realm
Played here a little over the last couple days. Pretty good server if you want something not crowded, no boxing, and velious era. They still have a lot of work ahead of them as far as being era correct. Also, the zems set are nowhere near classic so not sure what they plan to do there. Enjoying it so far but I wouldn't want to play a non solo friendly class here.

Abacab

Golden Knight of the Realm
You're going to pretty much have to give some concessions in terms of bots, boxing, or noob packages.

The experience rate and population is so low, that no one is going to roll any sort of melee character, so you'll have an issue of a server that's 95% mages and 5% druids (just to port the mages around) EQ isn't fun when you're spending all day grinding mages and druids to 60 just to farm shit gear to then powerlevel the character you REALLY wanted to play. So far there is no point in playing a warrior, rogue, monk, or hybrid as you'll get roflstomped by anything over level 7 as there are no healers to do anything with as a group.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
we're (i say we loosely, other people are working a lot more than me) working on tuning melee classes. as anyone who has been following Torven's work knows, tuning melee is incredibly fucking difficult.

also, i'm pretty sure EXP is tuned a tad too low when fighting blue/lightblue cons, and that's probably going to change soon. might also be tuned too low in general.

awesome server, though. Emu servers that handhold at the beginning tend to not get a devoted playerbase. about half of us on this server have been playing together for quite awhile now, some of us on 3+ different emu servers before we landed here. its definitely different than the instant-gratification style Emu servers that are so common. we think and hope that something like that will end up being a lot more gratifying in the long run. if we never get enough people on the server to tackle Temple of Veeshan, then so be it -- we'll leave those dragons alive, we're not going to buff or nerf things to make them killable.

not even shilling, it honestly would suck if this place had a sudden boom in population like kildrukaun's prohpecy had. but if you want a hardcore server for the long haul, this is it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everything through Velious was swimmingly fun. Just seemed to snowball into a disaster afterwards upon gaining popularity / preferred server status. At least I went out on a high raiding Sleeper's Tomb!

I especially liked that I farmed out of era gear in Veksar for weeks before the dev realized it was mistakenly open. I think I only ever saw one other person there. Got to keep my OP loots too!

Kildrukaun's Prophecy - Progression server

Basically should have just held it at Velious. Luclin killed the server.

axeman_sl

shitlord
You're going to pretty much have to give some concessions in terms of bots, boxing, or noob packages.

The experience rate and population is so low, that no one is going to roll any sort of melee character, so you'll have an issue of a server that's 95% mages and 5% druids (just to port the mages around) EQ isn't fun when you're spending all day grinding mages and druids to 60 just to farm shit gear to then powerlevel the character you REALLY wanted to play. So far there is no point in playing a warrior, rogue, monk, or hybrid as you'll get roflstomped by anything over level 7 as there are no healers to do anything with as a group.
Yeah, nobody is honestly going to be able to get a foothold doing the exact same thing as P99. Who's gonna come to a no-boxing server with a tiny population? Allow boxing and I'd play it in a heartbeat, it's the very thing I'm looking for. Without boxing, not only is it virtually unplayable unless one is satisfied grinding alone with one of the few soloing classes, there's also an undeniably superior product in P99 if one just wants the single-character Velious experience. Nothing's gonna match the years' worth of sheer quality that you get on P99. You have to offer something players can't get there. The only thing seriously wrong with P99 is its overpopulated raid scene, and an empty server is hardly a compelling alternative.

"Online Status: UP 4 Player(s)"

A druid, two mages, and a GM.

You're wasting your time creating a server that'll never go anywhere when instead you have the opportunity to offer something people can't get anywhere else: a decent Velious boxing server. I bet your population would grow by over 1000% inside a month if you do that. What's the point of trying to compete on a market that's utterly cornered? As it stands, you have a completely pointless product that goes unused because you have no chance of being a meaningful alternative to P99 without boxing, offering the exact same content with less polish and literally no population. Nobody in the world has any reason to opt for what you offer, even if the quality of your server is high.

Limit it to 3 boxes so people can't just completely break the game, and to make grouping valid. It's much better to have dozens of players actively playing, some of whom will be grouping, than four mages dicking around. You can look at servers like P2002 and TAKP for examples of how 3-boxing servers work just fine and have communities and guilds. There's a definte demand for a PC client Velious server with those criteria. You can provide that.

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What axeman said.

If I could play 3 toons, I would have already started on your server.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Current Online Players
Name Level Class Race Zone Status
Blur hide hide hide hide ANON
Tunareboy 5 Ranger Wood Elf kaladima
Xenthe 20 Warrior Iksar hide RolePlay

3 Total Players Online
With 3-boxing, I bet you'd have players in the triple digits after a month. That's assuming your server is of decent quality, not like the abomination that was The Sleeper. Even that server, with its unspeakably low quality and certifiably insane owner, attracted over a hundred players (not a hundred boxed characters, a hundred actual players) in its first couple of weeks until people started finding out how anything associated with Kegz is literally shit.

axeman_sl

shitlord
I don't mean to try to derail people away from Legacy of FrostStone, but if you'd like something classicy where you can box, try the EQ Mac emu project. Kunark opens in a week and some change.

The Al`kabor Project (EQMac))
People really want a Titanium server because it's the only thing that's genuinely good. The Mac servers have all kinds of problems when played from a PC.

Also, on TAKP I was looting fine steel weapons off level 10 mobs, I wonder if that sort of inaccuracy persists throughout. Aggro barely exists on that server, too, which they claim is working as intended but clearly isn't when you can body-pull and then have the tank hit the mob ten times without getting aggro while you've done nothing to it. It didn't feel very polished to me. You also have shit like focus items and beastlords available before the first expansion.

Miethos_sl

shitlord
I would play also if you could box, i was always a boxer in real EQ its just how i enjoy to play. Yes i play with other players also but i love to have a healer with me and such also. Velious is where it was for me and is the best expac in the game IMO. I really really wish you would reconsider the boxing stance. What are your reasons for not allowing boxing btw?

axeman_sl

shitlord
It's completely hopeless. The owner isn't receptive to any arguments, it's out of the question. I explained to him in detail that his server will never be anything at all unless he enables boxing and he just kept banging on about how it's only a matter of time and bla bla. Months after launching their server, they still have only like 3-4 people online at any given time. He hasn't really expressed any reasons other than a dislike for boxing, which means his server will be a pointless waste that never amounts to anything. He's got like five people praising him on his forum for sticking to his guns, but five people is all he'll ever get and that does not make a server.