Legacy of FrostStone - A Velious Server

axeman_sl

shitlord
Who said it is trying to be a clone of p99?
The server offers precisely the same content and features as P99. Instead of offering something slightly different, for which there's a demand, the guy decides to offer exactly the same thing, for which there's obviously no demand. He's allowed to run whatever server he wants, but what he's done does not deserve praise and compliments, which is what I was responding to. With the prerogative to run any sort of server that you want comes the prerogative for others to point out if your server is a pointless waste of space.

Who said it isn't a success?
To call that server a success would be a declaration of idiocy so severe that it's not even funny. They have no players. I glance at the website every few days because it takes three seconds to do so, and I've never seen more than six players on. The last three times, it's been zero. There's zero players on right now. He opened his server like four months ago and nobody plays on it, ergo it isn't a success. It doesn't meet even the most generous definition of success.

It annoys me because he had the opportunity to provide something that we all know there's a considerable demand for, but he chose instead to offer somethning for which we all know there's absolutely no demand whatsoever. This means his server is a gigantic failure, which in turn slightly discourages other people's creative efforts. The EQEmu community does not benefit from being flooded with servers that are dead on arrival. It dilutes the quality and gives the impression that it's not worth trying to start something.

Widmere_sl

shitlord
I'd argue a bigger impediment to creativity is someone like you who feel compelled to criticize someone who didn't create the server you wanted. Again, like others have pointed out, you have options - target one of the other servers out there or create your own.

arcana_sl

shitlord
It's completely hopeless. The owner isn't receptive to any arguments, it's out of the question. I explained to him in detail that his server will never be anything at all unless he enables boxing and he just kept banging on about how it's only a matter of time and bla bla. Months after launching their server, they still have only like 3-4 people online at any given time. He hasn't really expressed any reasons other than a dislike for boxing, which means his server will be a pointless waste that never amounts to anything. He's got like five people praising him on his forum for sticking to his guns, but five people is all he'll ever get and that does not make a server.
Well those are your thoughts. I have run a boxing server before, it is still running. Sorry, done that before and I will not do it again. For every player asking for boxing, there is another not wanting boxing. Next week there will be one asking for bots. Then the week after that they are wanting the mobs scaled, did that too. What I have created and will continue to create is a solid server. A few of you say it is buggy, unless you are playing there do not make comments like that. We have very few bugs. Most bugs that are submitted are fixed and close just a day or two after they are opened. You tell me how many of the servers in the list can actually say that? Many cannot even keep any decent amount of uptime, if they are still even running a few months from now. Servers come and go, I am in this for the long haul. We are no fly by night operation.

Everyone seems so concerned about numbers. Numbers mean nothing to me. What I care about is a bug free server that is accurate to the era. I created the server for me and a small amount of friends to be able to play on. Although the idea of p1999 is great, and it is a quality server, the actual pool of players is toxic. Do not bash something you either have never played on, or just played a limited amount of time. For those looking to get into something new and just starting then please give us a try.

On a last note, you guys realize how p1999 started? Were any of you even around back then and know how many players they had initially? You guys do realize they used the EqEmu source code and had to go through the exact same steps I am on making it classic again? Pulling out thousands of items, quest, npcs? This is a huge effort for just one person. We have been open for just over half a year, Rome was not built in a day.

Now to something more positive. If you are interested in playing and helping point out bugs, out of era npc's and items, please join us. It never hurts to have more people looking over spawn points and gear that should not be in the game. Yes, we are small but are also a very dedicated group of players that love Velious.

Lenas_sl said:
Anyone that has the ability to roll a server like this could give so much value to the open source EMU project that it's understandably frustrating that they throw away their time.
Who says I do not? I have been in the EqEmu community since 2007. I have over 1700 post on the forums. I have given out many of my changes to the community, map files, scripts and directly submit bug fixes back to PEQ

EQEmulator Forums

axeman_sl

shitlord
So, a couple of months later and the server still has no players. Currently there's 1 player online.

I asked a guy who tried the server. Sometimes it soars as high as 10 for a bit, but generally there's 0-4 peeps on. Also, they implemented non-classic features like special mitigation for melee classes so that they're playable without a group, since there are no groups. A guy soloed rogue to 40+, for example. But no boxing! Boxing isn't classic!!

Anyone still wanna salute the guy for "sticking to his principles" and shit?

arcana_sl

shitlord
So, a couple of months later and the server still has no players. Currently there's 1 player online.

I asked a guy who tried the server. Sometimes it soars as high as 10 for a bit, but generally there's 0-4 peeps on. Also, they implemented non-classic features like special mitigation for melee classes so that they're playable without a group, since there are no groups. A guy soloed rogue to 40+, for example. But no boxing! Boxing isn't classic!!

Early in the morning, yes there are only a few people on. Lately we have been hitting 18 people at night. So with single connections that is pretty good. Lets do some math Axeman, on PEQTGC or others where you see people go as high as 32 boxing as an analysis. 18 players with an average of 10 boxing or so, that is 180 players. Does not seem so bad anymore, does it? Wonder why we have a max of 18 people right now? I quit advertising because we want quality players that actually find the server on their own. I have also had to ban quite a few because of MQ2 and warping.

Your past threads are all pretty negative on everything. You seem to want a specific kind of server and do not want to go through the effort of creating it yourself. Creating and managing a server is extremely difficult but guess what? It is my server and what I want, not designed around your standards.

For those that can read around Axeman's negative thoughts, come try us out. If you want boxing, we will not be for you.

putts01_sl

shitlord
So I played on this server and got my sk up to 13 I think? Stopped for awhile and had hopes of coming back but they banned me for no reason. Server is pretty backwards not worth putting time into it.

arcana_sl

shitlord
So I played on this server and got my sk up to 13 I think? Stopped for awhile and had hopes of coming back but they banned me for no reason. Server is pretty backwards not worth putting time into it.
Banned you for no reason? That did not happen. Give me your character name and I will tell you why you were banned.

putts01_sl

shitlord
You made a negative command on 11-06-2015, nothing horrible. It was temporary suspension that was already lifted. More of a cooling down period.
LOL

Edit: What is a negative command? How did I do this?How do I prevent it in the future?

Hope you understand how this could put a bad taste in the mouth to invest time on the server.

arcana_sl

shitlord
LOL

Edit: What is a negative command? How did I do this?How do I prevent it in the future?

Hope you understand how this could put a bad taste in the mouth to invest time on the server.
If you would just PM me on the forum and i can elaborate, instead of taking this to a public forum on the matter. If anything I would hope everyone would see spending time on the server is a good investment. We are not going anywhere, no matter what people think of the server. I am in this for the long run. The only way you get a permanent ban on LoF is for cheating and MQ2 usage, cursing and harsh talk will give a temporary ban and nothing else.

Widmere_sl

shitlord

LOL ... Thanks for the bump, Axeman. Since you are still misrepresenting this server, I am happy to chime in to clarify for others who might be interested in checking it out.

Currently, we have about 20 active players who log in and play on a daily basis. Population is typically in the teens for about half the day. Most of us are 45+ but have alts throughout all grouping levels. We are supportive of new players, offering starting gear, PL, and grouping at low levels for those who want it. Player base is very friendly, mature, and unselfish. We are making gains in high level zones and several are close to epics. Although no Kunark dragons have fallen, we are close to attempting our first.

For a server roughly six months old, we are progressing nicely. Having fun on a nightly basis, this server has reminded me what was so special about EQ - developing characters and joining new friends to band together to overcome difficult encounters. The GMs are active, the server super stable, and bugs get fixed fast - usually within a couple of hours. There are three primary guilds, with all being very cooperative with groups and sharing of gear.

If you're tired of p99 ( most of us migrated over from p99) and want a change, check us out.