Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm excited, card reveals start tomorrow. :)

It's interesting to see that regions will be unbalanced in number of Champions and number of cards until the Set(3 expansion) is complete.

Right now regions have 5 champions and 63 cards total.

There's going to be 2 regions now with 6 champions and 6 with only 5, and those 6 getting their 6th over the next 2 following expansions. I wonder if Targon gets 6 with only 1 other getting a 6th, or if they go with Targon at 5 champs, with 2 region getting a 6th and Targon getting it's 6th in the last expansion of the set. I think Targon at 5 and 2 other regions getting a 6th would be better, would affect more regions this way.

Only 2 weeks away :)

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm excited, card reveals start tomorrow. :)

It's interesting to see that regions will be unbalanced in number of Champions and number of cards until the Set(3 expansion) is complete.

Right now regions have 5 champions and 63 cards total.

There's going to be 2 regions now with 6 champions and 6 with only 5, and those 6 getting their 6th over the next 2 following expansions. I wonder if Targon gets 6 with only 1 other getting a 6th, or if they go with Targon at 5 champs, with 2 region getting a 6th and Targon getting it's 6th in the last expansion of the set. I think Targon at 5 and 2 other regions getting a 6th would be better, would affect more regions this way.

Only 2 weeks away :)

I'm excited we see cards tomorrow.
Some people are disappointed that they are breaking up a full expansion like this, but I'm thrilled.

It means we get several different metas throughout an expansion and things get mixed up frequently.

Looking at Hearthstone when they had brief periods where 1 or a few cards came early. Sometimes that was enough to spark a little interest back into the game.

It also means we now know that rank will be reset about every 6 months. Maybe that's a downside, idk. If they give us tournaments to grind then I won't mind.

In terms of guessing the release, I'm going to assume we get 4 targon heroes with 3 other regions. Then 2 others +1 targon for each of the next releases.

I'm also going to assume we start with Leona, Diana, Taric and Pantheon for Targon. And Nocturne for SI. No idea on the last 2.

Then later we maybe get the dragons: asol/ shyvana together.. and then zoe. Leaving soraka out for the future

Targon only has 7 champions so interesting to see what they do going forward.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Here we go. :)

New keyword.

SpellShield nullifies the next enemy spell or skill that would affect the unit.

8F3D6654-4BBD-46C2-9C86-9938402BA36F.jpeg

2F2F2EF9-0F5B-431B-9499-B5B236108A2B.jpeg

E2A5C781-23FD-481D-AE89-C097D8312B84.jpeg

68AB5026-0F1B-4581-BA2F-B01597CDF13C.jpeg

It looks like they are going for a ”Support” archetype.

Spellshield keyword looks interesting. It will be interesting to see how it is used.

Bastion: The card feels like a cheaper and weaker Deny. Only affect 1 of your units. So won’t prevent an AOE from hitting other units, can’t prevent buffs to enemy units. At 3 mana, it probably will see some play.

Tyari the Traveller: It will depend a bit on how good the Support archetype they seem to be going for is to truly evaluate the card. A 2/2 for 2 is a bit weak, effect is ok though, get better if used on multiple attacks. Might see play if the archetype is good enough.

Mountain Sojourners: Again, stats are weak but effect could be pretty if you meet all the condition. Since you get 2/5 and 2/2 and 2/2 So total of 6/9 over 3 bodies. Again dependent on the Support archetype being viable.

Arbiter of the Peak: We’ve seen this type of cards in the past and some have been somewhat viable...I’m repeating myself here, will depend on Support archetype being viable.

Not a super exciting first reveal, but not bad either.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like Shen decks will rise up.

IMO Bastion is going to be just as good as Prismatic Barrier. Stops a Vengeance or Will of Ionia, etc. Going to be super good in a lot of decks imo. Going to turn Vengeance into a trash card.

I am curious if the effect persists through rounds or goes away like Barrier after 1 round

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Tough to evaluate. He seems viable. You have a nice curve to accumulate some gems early. Gems do not grant health so protecting Taric can be an issue. Taric is neat because he has 2 effects you can build around: 1.) Supporting 2.) Card copying. You might try to do both, but it's not required.

Gift Giver seems like a decent 1 drop.
Mountain Goat seems bad, 1 health :(
Mentor of the Stone is really great
Taric's Blessing is really great
Shards of the Mountain seems perfect for an Ezreal deck.
Gem has some giant implications. The effect is good but just being a 1 mana burst that you can accumulate many of means:

Arbiter of the Peak from yesterday is playable
Ezreal is stronger
Jae Medarda can be a serious draw engine

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Damn I love card reveals. :)

So let’s look at these. More support cards, so definitely going for a Support Archetype, also a new mechanics in the Gems.

Taric: Weak stats for 5 mana, I think he’ll be fairly easy to level up, seeing 7 supported allies or you target allies. 2 effects on him, either support or copying card effect. The levelled up version is pretty strong, you have to deal with him before his attack phase or while he‘s defending otherwise he might cause a lot of damage.

Gift Giver: Seems ok, will depend on how good Gems end up being.

Mountain Goat: Awful stats, might end up never creating a Gem. It will require some support to be able to take advantage of it’s effect.

Mentor of the Stone: Really bad stats, but has 2 interesting effects. First Grant +2/+2 which is permanent to supported ally, this is big, if he’s alive for 1 attack, it‘s great value on that alone. He also gives 3 Gems as Last Breath effect. So you get value even if he dies right away. He’ll most likely force a removal from the opponent as letting him attack just once, and then also producing 3 Gems might be insane value. Most interesting card so far in my opinion.

Shards of the Mountain: That could be sick, Ezreal is laughing, this will end so many games. Also in tandem with an overwhelm unit this could be a finisher. Might end up being problematic.

Taric’s Blessing of Targon: Pretty good I think, permanent +3/+3 is a lot. Also if you have this in hand that means Taric is in play so casting that on him will help level him up if he’s not, and also give his supported ally +3/+3. I don’t see a scenario where this won’t be a +6/+6 split over 2 bodies.

Gems: Interesting effect, heals are always good, and permanent +1/0 for 1 mana is nice. I’m not sure what the ”Can‘t be cast in Combat” means exactly. More specifically, if my opponent open attack, can I use Gems before I declare my defenders? Or does him declaring attack starts combat and prevents the use of this. Can you actually use this with Ezreal? Wouldn’t casting the first one be like starting combat since you just did damage and you wouldn’t be able to cast more than 1?

Edit: I think Purify might become a lot more popular with all these permanent buffs being introduced with Targon so far.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Gems not in combat/response means its basically a Slow card, but at Burst speed so gameplay doesn't screech to a halt. To use with ezreal means you can't do it if enemy open attacks or something. It's going to keep it in check a tiny bit.

A combo brought up on Swim's stream is : Playful Trickstar on Taric means infinite rallies, you just need Taric + 1 other unit and that unit will continually be recalled & you will rally, and Taric should be able to attack.

ie:

Attack with Taric+Unit, opponent hopefully responds or else combo can't be done.
Trickster Taric to recall/rally
Attack with Taric+Unit again, the Unit casts Trickster to Recall/Rally, Taric attacks
Repeat & don't cast anymore spells or you break the chain.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
A combo brought up on Swim's stream is : Playful Trickstar on Taric means infinite rallies, you just need Taric + 1 other unit and that unit will continually be recalled & you will rally, and Taric should be able to attack.

ie:

Attack with Taric+Unit, opponent hopefully responds or else combo can't be done.
Trickster Taric to recall/rally
Attack with Taric+Unit again, the Unit casts Trickster to Recall/Rally, Taric attacks
Repeat & don't cast anymore spells or you break the chain.

I don't think that would work. On the first attack, Taric + Unit would both be removed from combat before doing any damage, and you get 2 Rally effect and you would be able to attack again, but there is no infinite thing happening. The spell has resolved, and so did the copy on supported unit.

Attack with Taric + Unit
Cast Playful Trickster on Taric
Taric is removed from combat before doing any damage and you gain the attack token
Playful Trickster is copied on supported Unit.
Supported Unit is removed from combat before doing any damage, you gain an attack token(but you already have it)
Attack again with Taric + Unit
That's the end I think.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I don't think that would work. On the first attack, Taric + Unit would both be removed from combat before doing any damage, and you get 2 Rally effect and you would be able to attack again, but there is no infinite thing happening. The spell has resolved, and so did the copy on supported unit.

Attack with Taric + Unit
Cast Playful Trickster on Taric
Taric is removed from combat before doing any damage and you gain the attack token
Playful Trickster is copied on supported Unit.
Supported Unit is removed from combat before doing any damage, you gain an attack token(but you already have it)
Attack again with Taric + Unit
That's the end I think.

Everytime you support he plays the "Last Spell" you cast on Taric that round.
Also, Trickster resolves after Taric Supports, so both won't be recalled on 1st attack, the unit won't get it on that 1st attack, not like it matters too much.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Everytime you support he plays the "Last Spell" you cast on Taric that round.
Also, Trickster resolves after Taric Supports, so both won't be recalled on 1st attack, the unit won't get it on that 1st attack, not like it matters too much.

Ah ok, I understand the interaction now.

That might be broken, although there's quite a few way to interact with this. Deny the Playful Trickster, removal or Taric or the supported ally, stun, probably a few more ways I'm not thinking off.

Still feels like something that might end up feeling very toxic, especially after he's levelled up and he and his supported ally can't take damage.

There will be an easy fix for this though if it ends up broken, as you can just add" This effect can only occur once per turn". And that will be about the only scenario affected, or other buffs with a regular way of rallying. It's so specific though that it would not impact the card much.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Some things I'm reading on Reddit:

Gems + Bubble Bear = keep healing and increasing his attack
Braum = Any attack makes him super strong
Mind Meld = Memes become dreams?
Vi = level her up super fast

Taric might not even see as much play. But 'mentor of the stones' in particular could see a ton of play.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Initial impressions for these:

Wow lots of cheap support cards that can potentially get really steam-rolley with "Grant" buffs from yesterday's set.
Can potentially have an entire board chaining support effects together
4 attack life steal on a 3 cost... nice

I'm sensing a possible support-aggro deck. Or like a flood/zoo style deck similar to Warlock in Hearthstone.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
For slightly easier view of the cards. Support definitely going to be a thing.

A5949455-145E-4703-8930-09055099D368.jpeg

Flower Child: Good stats for a 1 mana with pretty good effect with all the support cards now. Flower Child into Young Witch on turn 2 gives you a 4/2 with quick attack on turn 2. I think it's a pretty good card.

Young Witch: Weak stats but elusive and good support effect, and with all the new support cards I think it will see play, but it's kind of weak, it might be a card that ends up being cut...so many cards with support synergies that some might not find room.

Tasty Faefolk: Not a great card, but it has Lifesteal, so I think it's use will be meta dependent. When there's a need for a lot healing it might see play.

Swole Squirrel: I'm not sure how the sequence of effect occurs with Strike. If I remember it occurs after the hit. So this would attack as a 3/4...deal 3 damage then double its power to 6. So I'm guessing this is permanent otherwise it's pretty useless. If permanent, than it could be interesting, but you'd have to keep it alive to really benefit from him. I think he's going to be niche.

Fuzzy Caretaker: Weak stats but 2 interesting Support effects, one gain when it's the supported ally, and one given when it support an ally making it fairly versatile. It's good, might see some play.

All in all interesting cards for Ionia, will make it a region to synergize with Targon. I'm liking the way this set is going so far.

Last edited:

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I've been listening to Swim's stream and he's had Alan & GdayMaverick to remark on them.

Swim hates Fuzzy Caretaker
Alan is positive on Caretaker
Maverick had no strong opinions

None of the cards are meta defining but will fit the overall package of the set.
A BIG note on all of these cards is they are Ionia.

My comments:

Flower Child is pushing a Taric/Shen deck and probably only fits there.

Witch will be good because of Elusive, and quick attack is relevant, can be slotted into Support decks, elusive decks, anything with Challenger cards, Fiora deck, etc.

Faefolk is niche because it competes with Dragonlings, the 3/3 which becomes a 6/6, etc... would see a LOT more play in another region. Might see play in a Spooky Karma or Yasuo deck.

Swole Squirrel is memey but could be meta/competitive. With Judgement it gets a lot of attack very quickly (192 attack if judgement hits 6 targets). Dragon Rage deals 6 to nexus. Kato makes it crazy. Combo with Whirling Death + Might for 12 damage to nexus. Probably going to be a lot more options.

Caretaker is at the mercy of a meta support deck. I can see this card being dogshit (like Swim is leaning), or I can see this being the next Badgerbear if Support decks are insane.

Everything hinges on how good this Support archetype proves to be. Somehow you need to keep multiple units on the board to get your supports running, and that's often not an easy task.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Everything hinges on how good this Support archetype proves to be. Somehow you need to keep multiple units on the board to get your supports running, and that's often not an easy task.

Pretty much this, which I've put in most of my comments. The vast majority of these cards are dependent on the Support Archetype, a few might see play outside of it but very few so far.

There might be multiple ways to built a Support deck though based on the few cards revealed so far, whether these will be competitive or not remains to be seem...in my case they just need to be viable as I almost exclusively play in Normal now, and the meta there is extremely diverse.

I remember seeing a Mogwai video where he was complaining about a card seeing too much play, and I was thinking to myself...I don't remember the last time I saw it in my games.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Another I was wondering too is if the support archetype, or cards will be good enough to compensate for the fact that their effect are only applied during attack and not defense. You might end up with a strong attack phase, but a weak defense one.

I'm guessing it's why they made a few of the Support "Grant" rather than just "Give" so their effect would be permanent thus alllowing for a stronger defense than what's in the game right now with Support cards.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Most of these cards are underwhelming. Lulu is interesting but tough to see how well she'll work.

Lulu: Can level quickly, but don't underestimate how hard Supporting 3x might be. Consider you get to attack every 2 rounds, you're looking at a turn 5 level up AT BEST. Support keyword has so many pitfalls too. I think she's a good early tempo champion that will force removal. Her effect is tailored for a LOW CURVE / Aggro style deck. You want to make 1/1s and 2/2s grow to 4/4 or 5/5. Like my initial impressions a couple days ago, a Support-Aggro deck is looking more and more viable.

Whimsy: Other than Lulu, this is probably the strongest card here, but with some downsides too. Compared to Will of Ionia, not being able to be used on Champions is a big downside. However, this counters TWE super hard compared to Will. So it's a meta call for sure.

Squirrel: Token from Whimsy I assume.

Pix: Looks like garbage unless you think a support-aggro deck is actually viable. It's a stretch for sure, but maybe it's needed to powerlevel Lulu in some crazy aggro deck.

Fae Guide: Doesn't seem viable. Ghost is a card that is far superior. You won't have any good targets to give Elusive by turn 4, and if you are planning to Elusive something bigger, you will just put Ghost in your deck. Might be a scenario where you put Ghost & Fae Guide but seems unlikely

Startled Stomper: Pretty good. It's Targon instead of Ionia. Buffs are going to be amazing on this. Good 2 drop. Can see a lot of play imo.