Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve played a bunch of tcg games in real life and digital. The one digital I preferred closed down a few months after I discovered it, I’ll be down to pick this up when beta opens up. Does it open on multiple platforms at once? looks like a good ipad game. I’m not a mobile gaming person but these actually play well on them imo.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When it goes live it will be available on multiple platforms. It is PC only for the Open Beta.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Tomorrow's the day if you were in the previous betas.
Friday for everyone else.

Video from earlier this month:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Patch Notes for the Open Beta

A few thing of interest:

• No more account reset, what you earn and buy in Open Beta carries to the live game.
  • Changes to the economy to purchasing power of Coins and Shards, and rewards in activity that rewards these.
  • Ranked is here, beta season last until release.
  • Friend list, chat and challenge your friends added.
  • 6 new boars, 1 per faction.
  • 3 new guardians.
  • A bunch of card updates.
  • The last thing I wanted to mention is this little bit which I find interesting if I understand it correctly. You will be able to see your opponent's Champions and Regions before the Mulligan phase. This will add a level of strategy to the Mulligan phase.
I'm looking forward to playing a bit, although I really wish the mobile versions were available. I played 90%+ of my Hearthstone games on an iPad, rarely on the PC. I just enjoy these game as time killers, usually playing on iPad in bed before going to sleep, or while watching hockey in between periods, or at lunch at work. If I have time to sit at the computer, I'll usually play a more traditional game.

Still, hoping to find a few hours here and there to play it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its up and running. So far it appears to be a smooth launch. I got my T-rex and snow board along with the starter set. Enjoying the game.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not able to login but I did get the email I could play today

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Got it to work now. Evidently when I thought I was merging accounts I somehow ended up with 2 different ones.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't have much time to play, but did log on for a few to check some changes.

I actually like knowing the Factions and Champions my opponent is using, I feel I can make more informed decisions during my Mulligan phase, and the early rounds before you realize what you playing against.

I like the new Attack Token, it's more visible than before, it will probably be even more noticeable on mobile.

I also like the new(at least I think it's new) blue/red aura around the units during a player's turn to clearly indicate whose turn it is, this makes spectating even easier.

The new boards look pretty cool, I like that each player will have it's own board. The guardians didn't impress me though, although the feature is kinda neat.

They need to add new card backs like Hearthstone too.

As far as playing the game, it felt great in alpha 1, and hasn't changed, so it still feels great.

I didn't play enough, or pay attention enough to notice the change they made to the economy for coins and shards. Rewards for the first 9/11 of the prologue felt good.

Looking forward to playing more. I really like this game, I hope it does well. I hope they do a good job on balance and keeping the game interesting in the long run.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I played for about 2.5 hrs last night, blasted through each tutorial for the xp then did Ranked. Started with the default Freljord/Demacia deck and then refined it into a Freljord/Ionia deck after opening a Yasuo.

I'll probably spend some $$ tonight so I can build a meta deck soon.
I had decent success, ranked up to the next tier.. I think Silver III?
Hard to tell what rank we start at... maybe it's Iron and I'm Iron III idk.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Shop yet, since I've yet to purchase anything, but it feels like they're trying to do a FortNite style shop, you can only purchase 18 Wildcards every week.

It's going to prevent people from dumping $100s to buyout an entire expansion, which maybe helps retention, but also means more frustration in building decks day 1.
I was watching Dog play and he was basically limited to 1 deck due to no purchasing power.
However, if you're someone that can buy Wildcards constantly, you could accumulate enough to buyout the next expansion when it releases...

It does mean possibly more $$ for Riot in the long run since by limiting purchases intentionally, it's going to make "some" people feel they need to buy that week's allotment of wildcards or else they fall behind. Also means the revenue stream is more consistent and doesn't spike every 4 months (Hearthstone).

Who knows how it'll shake out, maybe the freebies will be enough for most people.
Since i haven't spent my usual $50/ea on the last several Hearthstone expansions, I'll look to dump $50 tonight on LoR and go from there.

It takes 1500 shards to buyout the Wildcards (18) for the week.
Also the starter bundle seems worth it.

With regard to Deck building/meta decks... I couldn't find many active sites, I think this might be the most popular right now:

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Meta usually takes a few weeks to settle, and that's with the top players having access to all cards on day 1 because of purchasing power.

I think this will create a very unstable meta for a while as people will only be able to make a few different decks, and it will take times to optimize them, and take even more time to build counters.

It's either going to be pretty exciting because it will be in flux a lot, or frustrating because you went with what looked like an early good deck but ends up being heavily countered and it takes a while before you can build something else that's more competitive.

I agree the starter bundle seems to be good value. I'm not adverse to spending cash on the game if I like it, but I'm not sure how that'll play out with this game. Hearthstone for me was easy, spend $50 or so each expansion and that was pretty much it. Depending on how fast we acquire cards in game for free, I have a feeling this will end up costing more over time, but less of an initial investment at once.

I'm not super competitive, but like experimenting and always favored fun decks with fun cards, and fun interactions over super optimized decks that were boring to play, or just too common that it made the game feel too repetitive.

And there's so many champions that I look at and think...well this could be fun, not necessary good...but just plain fun to play. I don't care about rank as long as I win 50% and have fun with crazy decks :)

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
alright... well I guess it's noticeable that today all the newbies started.

Just went 10-1 in a 2hr 15min session.

Using a mostly hodgepodge deck.
Here's the list I ended with, just editing as I acquire cards..
I didnt spend $$ yet on this game, but used some Wildcards from chest to craft a few cards..
Crafted 2x Shatter / 2x Flash Freeze / 2x Rimetusk / 2x Yone (all commons/rares).

Deck Code:
CEAAECABAEAQSFAWFAXDENIIAEBASFA2DQPDCOBZAIBQCAQPDAQQKAIBCMQCMKJY

My 1 loss was to a spider deck that had the nuts draw, all the spider synergy/buffs out the gate.

There were some close games I felt I outskilled my opponent, the game feels so much more skillful than HS. Love it.
I'm sure it'll be just as frustrating during those 1-10 days.

My stream of the 10-1 run:

I downloaded & turned decktracker on after over an hour into it.

Freljord--Ionia-WIP-lor-deck-bolukjusblkpngubdbjg.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am really loving this game. It is easily more fun then Hearthstone and not nearly as frustrating as Magic.

The Expeditions are a serious learning curve but I love how they are set up. You can lose 6 games and still win the whole thing. Even when you lose out, you get another chance.

I just had one really fun game with Mushrooms. Put down the 3/3 that places shrooms everytime I cast a spell. I was holding the 6 cost make 2 epherial copies of an ally. I placed the 4 cost that gives me 2 1 cost 5 Shroom cards and I later drew another. It was so much fun popping that and landing 48 shrooms into his deck. He died 2 turns later.

If you like Hearthstone or Magic, I strongly recommend giving this game a go.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I've installed the Decktracker but it doesn't seem to work, only had the overlay appear once. Not sure what's wrong with it.

I must say it's challenging at this stage to put a deck together because you don't have a lot of cards. So most decks are totally unoptimized, but same for the opponents so you see a lot of weird stuff.

I said this before in alpha 1, but I find that the early rarely gets out of control unlike Hearthstone where you can easily lose tempo really quickly, the spell mana that carries over really help with this if you can't play for a turn or two. On a different note, games can go totally out of control in the late game with some really crazy play. It's enjoyable.

As I said before I'm not ultra competitive, I value a fun game that I may lose, over a boring that I may win. The actual interaction and fun during the game has more value to me than the result. Obviously winning is fun too. With that said, the games always seem to play out interestingly in this, with big play at the end. Hearthstone often had some very aggro games where they ended in 4-5 rounds without you being to actually play. Or long game that dragged on forever with no one really doing much, I have yet to see that happen in this game, I don't even know what happens if someone runs out of cards to draw upon, it never even came close I think.

I'm loving it. :)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well I went 11-3 today in normal PVP, not ranked while trying to get a decent deck working. This is the deck I am using.

Freljord-Demacia-Freeze.png

While the deck I made worked pretty well, I'm not happy with it, too many cards that I find I don't ever really get value from.

I'm satisfied with the Freljord cards so far, but I'm not sure Demacia is the good choice right now, although I really like using Laurent Bladekeeper to permanently give +2+2 to Braum which makes Braum really annoying. I like Vanguard Seargent that gives you "For Demacia" which a +3/+3 to all allies for this round, that's regularly useful. Judgment is also something I got good value from. Cithria Cloudfield is ok but could probably easily be replaced, Cithria the Bold and Redoubled Valor have brought no value though so far.

I really like Braum having the permanent attack buff that Laurent gives him, it makes him so useful, I think I'm giving too much by going with Demacia just to have him buffed.

I like the Frostbite theme, I need a 3rd Ashe though, I'm not pulling her out regularly enough, or have better draw to get her. Plenty of games I haven't drawn her.

I love playing a new card game, where you see tons of new stuff that people are trying, and it catches you by surprise because you're still new and not familiar with all the possible combos yet.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Well I went 11-3 today in normal PVP, not ranked while trying to get a decent deck working. This is the deck I am using.

View attachment 245627

While the deck I made worked pretty well, I'm not happy with it, too many cards that I find I don't ever really get value from.

I'm satisfied with the Freljord cards so far, but I'm not sure Demacia is the good choice right now, although I really like using Laurent Bladekeeper to permanently give +2+2 to Braum which makes Braum really annoying. I like Vanguard Seargent that gives you "For Demacia" which a +3/+3 to all allies for this round, that's regularly useful. Judgment is also something I got good value from. Cithria Cloudfield is ok but could probably easily be replaced, Cithria the Bold and Redoubled Valor have brought no value though so far.

I really like Braum having the permanent attack buff that Laurent gives him, it makes him so useful, I think I'm giving too much by going with Demacia just to have him buffed.

I like the Frostbite theme, I need a 3rd Ashe though, I'm not pulling her out regularly enough, or have better draw to get her. Plenty of games I haven't drawn her.

I love playing a new card game, where you see tons of new stuff that people are trying, and it catches you by surprise because you're still new and not familiar with all the possible combos yet.

I also went more toward Frostbite after opening an Ashe.
I finally crafted some cards and built this Control deck. Just finished a 6-1 run in Ranked. Up to Bronze III 48LP now.
I'm feeling pretty good with this list, will probably maintain it a while until it stops working.

CEAAECABAIBAYDY2EEYTQOIKAEAQGCITCQLB4KBJFI4AEAIBAETAGAICBEMB4

Frostbite-lor-deck-bomjjv6sblkpngutoplg.png

On paper it looks strange, idk, it was working. Originally I was trying an Ashe/Yasuo but I was really hurting in the early game, went 1-4 earlier today with different build. I loaded back up with Braum & some early game stuff and this is what I came up with.

I really like Zed a lot, I should probably get another copy in here.
Yasuo is kinda a weird inclusion, probably could remove him to tighten this up a bit more. Fast Attack is so good though imo.
1x Ashe in a Frostbite deck is kinda strange too...
It's certainly rough around the edges, all the other control cards seem to just work.

Rimetusk Shaman is so good
And if you get 13 mana you can do Harsh Winds > Winters Breath to remove 2 hard targets + any other 0 attack shit from Rimetusk.
It has enough balance to handle most shit... Braum can "challenge" hard elusive/key targets, there's enough buffers to give him some attack at times
A few elusive units
1x Dawn & Dusk that I've used many times on Zed, Empyrean and even 1x on Ashe. Anytime I draw Dawn & Dusk I seem to have a decent target to use it on... any fast attack target is good, Empyrean +Dawn & Dusk is practically an OTK (1x of each is rare to get though).

I'm seeing a lot more refined decks and didn't face nearly as much spider decks this run. Starting to see all the "meta" decks.
My 1 loss with this deck was ironically from another Freljord+Ionia deck, but different than mine, more early game stuff + braum buffs + big units.
In my 23 matches so far I've only faced 1 other Freljord+Ionia deck.

I'm 17-6 total so far, but 4 losses from when I was experimenting.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Ravishing Ravishing , nice deck and grats on the nice results with it.

i love Zed too, played him a lot in alpha, the Dawn and Dusk combo with him is really good. I like the Dawn and Dusk combo with Anivia since when it dies it becomes an Eggnivia, and back into Anivia if you are enlightened, so you get 3 on the board.

I agree with you about Rimetusk Shaman being extremely good, in one game yesterday I had one keep a buffed card that was like 21/9 at 0/9 for like 4 rounds before my opponent was able to kill my shaman.

I know I’m gushing about the game a lot, but I love how it’s designed, realized something recently that there’s no way to make the other player discard or draw cards, combine with the fact that there are very few ways to generate extra mana, and none that does so permanently and that there’s only a single counterspell. It means all games are essentially 2 players with the same ressources allowed to play their deck and battling it out on the board if that makes any sense.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Ravishing Ravishing , nice deck and grats on the nice results with it.

i love Zed too, played him a lot in alpha, the Dawn and Dusk combo with him is really good. I like the Dawn and Dusk combo with Anivia since when it dies it becomes an Eggnivia, and back into Anivia if you are enlightened, so you get 3 on the board.

I agree with you about Rimetusk Shaman being extremely good, in one game yesterday I had one keep a buffed card that was like 21/9 at 0/9 for like 4 rounds before my opponent was able to kill my shaman.

I know I’m gushing about the game a lot, but I love how it’s designed, realized something recently that there’s no way to make the other player discard or draw cards, combine with the fact that there are very few ways to generate extra mana, and none that does so permanently and that there’s only a single counterspell. It means all games are essentially 2 players with the same ressources allowed to play their deck and battling it out on the board if that makes any sense.

Agreed, the balance just feels right. And im definitely getting back that vibe I had during my prime hearthstone days.

I really can't wait for the mobile version.

Even the problematic HS cards you mention would probably work well in this game since we're allowed to react to almost everything.

Also their hero design is so much better than HS legendaries... the fact you can include multiple copies to reduce the rng factor of drawing a key card, but if 1 is in play the extras turn into a different ability, that's pretty awesome.

Also allowing 3 copies is interesting because right now im not sure if I should tighten my deck up to 3x everything or keep it 2x.. 2x allows me about 7 more different cards to help with flexibility. I can see 2x in more control decks like mine so far and 3x in aggro decks where you want super consistency.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Got out of Hearthstone pretty early just didn't quite do it for me. I never played magic the gathering etc the only card game i ever spent any considerable time was Might & Magic which was so fucking awesome of a game with pve and pvp and alot of great modes. Was so sad when then got shut down.

Played this some friday and saturday; pretty fun so far. Being gated behind daily quests to get exp makes me abit sad but i understand.

Having alright luck with below, just got my 2nd hericum champ so was running abit odd prior. Made it to Bronze (?, 2nd major) IV so far probabl winning 70% or so of the matches but pretty sure half is me still learning the game and the deck. Just need to get better setting the wombo-combo's, and getting my sharks out early. Just so annoying with so many people with +1 and +3 damage abilities that wipe zed and the eluxisve's. But man when you start chaining 2 sharks every turn with some of the other combo's shit goes quick. Plays pretty fast.

Will stick with this and next week i'd like to find a good heavy hitting deck with mid-late game beasts.

CEBAKAICAYEQ2GZKAYAQKBYKCULR6IQCAEAQEAYBAECSUAQBAEBBQAQBAUCBM