Legends of Runeterra - Card game by Riot Games

Chris

Potato del Grande
Wow the expedition/drafting method is excellent.

Having you draft curated packages of several cards at a time totally eliminates wild swings of luck and allows you to build synergies/combo without thinking "I'll not draft this because I may not get the card that goes with it".

How many losses are you allowed? Is it two in a row to be eliminated?

I got 1 win and 1 loss because I fucked up the turn order during combat, then got 2 more wins.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Wow the expedition/drafting method is excellent.

Having you draft curated packages of several cards at a time totally eliminates wild swings of luck and allows you to build synergies/combo without thinking "I'll not draft this because I may not get the card that goes with it".

How many losses are you allowed? Is it two in a row to be eliminated?

I got 1 win and 1 loss because I fucked up the turn order during combat, then got 2 more wins.
2 in a row but you also get a 2and draft to try for the max wins (7). If you get 7 on the first try then there's no reason to do the 2nd, except for practice/fun

Caliane

I've run in to an inconsistency since playing that slightly jimmy rustling since it blocked me from having a 14 win expedition run.

So I basically had the win in the bag as long as I survived the turn. Well, turns out he summoned some sort of 30/30 with overwhelm with a 10 cost spell. I had a guy block and gave him barrier. So barrier should have blocked all the damage since my minion took 0 and survived right? Nope. My minion survived but the damage went through to my nexus and I lost. Sad face.

On the next occurrence in a total separate run, I had a minion with lifesteal that was about to kill one of his minions. Opponent buffs his blocking minion with barrier so I'm thinking I should get this health back right? Nope.

These 2 things kinda seem opposing to me. Just my 2 cents. Love the game so far though.
nah. that sounds consistent to me, if the wording of barrier was "blocking creature takes 0 damage" So, it takes zero, so 100% of overwhelm goes right past it. And, then heals zero because zero damage was dealt

the ACTUAL wording on barrier is "Negates the next damage the unit would take" now that does screw things up a bit. that I would expect to subtract the units life from Overwhelm, negate that damage, and the overhead would continue. While, zero lifeleech would also be ineffect.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Also tip from reddit, use the eyeball to see what'll happen if you're unsure on something. Including RNG effects, like which target ashe will target, etc

Chris

Potato del Grande
The overwhelm/lifesteal stuff is how it works in MTG too.

Deal no damage you get no lifesteal.

Overwhelm a damage immune blocker, it still only blocks it's health worth of damage and rest goes over it.

Willy T

Trakanon Raider
I think the real question here is how is this fucking game 300MB and has all this incredible high rez artwork and Hearthstone is like 10GB. It's wild.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

yeah, I decided to jump in a spend some time looking at this. The game overall feels 25% different from magic.

The eyeball math aid is a neat addition.
you can also drag the mouse over multiple cards to select them all to attack at once.

The mana per round is interesting. Seems like it goes a long way in balancing out who goes first? as well as storing spell mana. you don't really have a "your turn/opponents" turn in this. since I think you can get the attack token, on your "opponents" turn and attack?
Each player can summon creatures, and cast spells on each others turn.
limit 6 creatures on your side of the board. this is rough. not sure I like it.
heroes have level up conditions. a neat feature.
Creatures do not "heal" at the end of a round naturally.
Attack twice in around is a basic card text. (crazy)
quick strike/first strike is ONLY when attacking. took me a while to figure that one out, and see others make that mistake often.

I lose track whos turn it is for attacking a bit too often/easy.

I'm not sure on the summoning during opponents turn rules. just one? or something more to it? I lost a game yesterday. I had 2jinx in play. I cleared my hand to level them both up. and had to end the round. at the start of the opp players turn, I drew 3 cards. I'm not even sure what I drew3. dont know the mechancis on that yet either. one burst spell, two creatures. I was only able to summon one of them, before control was handed over allowing the other player to attack. a leveled up Darius just ran over my creatures sadly.
I suppose its just you trade "control"? I had control, I summoned a creature, passed control back to them. They attacked. if I had lived, control would have come back to me, and I could have summoned another.

The board size limit seems to really shit on some potential builds. Elise and her spiderlings for example. Zed and his shadow summons. Go wide isn't really an option. I doesn't even seem like there is a setting for CHOOSING which units get discarded on summon. its always the most recent. so like, maybe you want to summon that 6/6 spider, but cant cause your board is full of 1/1 spiderlings. the board limit does tie into the fact units die and don't heal in this one. But still, it seems to me 6 is so very small. obviously strats that use those 1/1s as food are the replacement. I feel like 1/1s like Spiderlings should be a special "horde" card that allows them to stack beyond the 6.

Obviously this is just thoughts from 1 evening.. so. yeah.

Match making is clearly weighted. I took the premade zed/jinx deck, and decided to streamline it focusing on jinx. I immediately start getting matched up with netdecks, and got my ass handed to me. so newbies should stick with premade decks so they play vs other premade decks until they have a really full cardlist to build something.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
yeah, I decided to jump in a spend some time looking at this. The game overall feels 25% different from magic.

The eyeball math aid is a neat addition.
you can also drag the mouse over multiple cards to select them all to attack at once.

The mana per round is interesting. Seems like it goes a long way in balancing out who goes first? as well as storing spell mana. you don't really have a "your turn/opponents" turn in this. since I think you can get the attack token, on your "opponents" turn and attack?
Each player can summon creatures, and cast spells on each others turn.
limit 6 creatures on your side of the board. this is rough. not sure I like it.
heroes have level up conditions. a neat feature.
Creatures do not "heal" at the end of a round naturally.
Attack twice in around is a basic card text. (crazy)
quick strike/first strike is ONLY when attacking. took me a while to figure that one out, and see others make that mistake often.

I lose track whos turn it is for attacking a bit too often/easy.

I'm not sure on the summoning during opponents turn rules. just one? or something more to it? I lost a game yesterday. I had 2jinx in play. I cleared my hand to level them both up. and had to end the round. at the start of the opp players turn, I drew 3 cards. I'm not even sure what I drew3. dont know the mechancis on that yet either. one burst spell, two creatures. I was only able to summon one of them, before control was handed over allowing the other player to attack. a leveled up Darius just ran over my creatures sadly.
I suppose its just you trade "control"? I had control, I summoned a creature, passed control back to them. They attacked. if I had lived, control would have come back to me, and I could have summoned another.

The board size limit seems to really shit on some potential builds. Elise and her spiderlings for example. Zed and his shadow summons. Go wide isn't really an option. I doesn't even seem like there is a setting for CHOOSING which units get discarded on summon. its always the most recent. so like, maybe you want to summon that 6/6 spider, but cant cause your board is full of 1/1 spiderlings. the board limit does tie into the fact units die and don't heal in this one. But still, it seems to me 6 is so very small. obviously strats that use those 1/1s as food are the replacement. I feel like 1/1s like Spiderlings should be a special "horde" card that allows them to stack beyond the 6.

Obviously this is just thoughts from 1 evening.. so. yeah.

Match making is clearly weighted. I took the premade zed/jinx deck, and decided to streamline it focusing on jinx. I immediately start getting matched up with netdecks, and got my ass handed to me. so newbies should stick with premade decks so they play vs other premade decks until they have a really full cardlist to build something.

A lot of the points you made are things from Hearthstone, such as: Units not healing, limited board size, mana per round.

To answer your attack-phase point, you're mistaken.
You can only Attack if you have the Sword icon on your side. Whoever goes "first" starts with the sword. You can only use the attack phase (sword) 1x... HOWEVER, there is a region that can "grant" you a sword button, allowing you to launch an attack when it's not your "turn" or to attack a 2nd time during your turn.

It's kinda confusing to write in text, but basically just look for the Sword and if you have it, then you can put minions on board as "attackers" when it's your turn, as long as you're not in a "reaction" phase to something the opponent played.

Caliane

isnt that basically what I said? attack isn't really a phase, its a token. and you can attack any time you have control, if you have the attack token. which you can get and use as long as you have control. you can get it via Rally, which is just a basic tribal skill, as opposed to being ultra rare in mtg, etc.

HS mana only resets on your turn right?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The limit to creatures is something that is part of the strategy of the game. Use the weak ones to block or sacrifice to spells/creatures. You anticipate the coverage.

Timing is a critical part of understanding the game. As an example, if it is your turn to attack, you can choose to attack immediately. This forces the opponent to block with what is on the board and only use fast effect spells as a possible counter. Strategically clearing his board or having a stronger presence prior to your attack turn works to your advantage.

The eyeball is one of the best features in the game. It allows a fast assessment of the board state so that you can change block or attack strategies before running out of time.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
isnt that basically what I said? attack isn't really a phase, its a token. and you can attack any time you have control, if you have the attack token. which you can get and use as long as you have control. you can get it via Rally, which is just a basic tribal skill, as opposed to being ultra rare in mtg, etc.

HS mana only resets on your turn right?

The issue is you are confusing "turns". There are very distinct turns. The game even says "you go first / second" when you start a match.

Rally is not common.

A "turn" has Action/Reaction "phases".
But if it's MY turn, I KNOW I can be the aggressor.

Caliane

I dont think "turn" is a very good word for it. its just alternating rounds, where you go first and get an attack token, and rounds they go first and get an attack token.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I was doing an expedition and had a weird interaction come up. I had frozen an opponents minion and he used stand united on it and shen. This not only did the swap and the barrier, but the barrier removed the freeze effect. I am not sure if this is intended and poorly documented or a bug. Luckily I won anyway and got my win 7, but I would have been pretty salty otherwise.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I dont think "turn" is a very good word for it. its just alternating rounds, where you go first and get an attack token, and rounds they go first and get an attack token.

To clarify something else you said...

You're not limited to playing 1 card/unit per "turn".. Your turn ends after all actions are completed and You & Your opponent both "pass" consecutively.
Also, the beginning of a new turn is when your mana is refilled. It refills at the beginning of your opponent's turn, as well as your own turn.
You can continue to play cards throughout the turn until you run out of valid cards to play, or your mana is completely expended.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Pretty fun, nice freemium setup so it doesn't really feel like you need to buy cards. I do find the microtransactions in a beta a bit weird. I can't see them wiping our progress, especially with buying champs but I guess they could refund the points (just read no resets, that's good).

Needs to come out on mobile ASAP.

Agree with Swim as a resource, I've only been playing like 3 days, but I knew enough to pick up dawnspeakers, rhasa, etc. I was playing a first strike/buffed creatures deck, but my spider/noxious deck seems to be destroying people. I never enjoyed hearthstone, but as a league fan I wouldn't mind paying into this. I just worry that card inflation will ruin it. Riot has a tendency to overload things, like adding 150 champions or changing TFT shit almost completely.

Last edited:

Kiki

Log Wizard
Example: my first game today, turn fucking 6, I'm at full life, he's at 10 and I just cleared his board. The game was over that quick and I hadn't even gotten to the 10/5 overwhelm Darius (I played the buff spider instead) or the Rhasa. I just threw this shit together, it's not even optimized. Darius also saved me once in an extremely long game against an 8/8 when his nexus only had 2 life left after decimates and I was almost dead. Just the perfect card at the perfect time.

1580421625256.png

Definitely need a match history.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Opening hand: 1, 2, 3, 4. Insert 3x Undying meme.

1580424843057.png

Then I drew Rhasa, poor MoonTon.

1580424824902.png

Edit: my next game I got 4 undying out haha.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well this was painful...

I had a full board, guy cast Winter's Breath with a leveled up Karma on the board...first spell frostbite all my units to zero, second spell destroyed them all. :(

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Have they commented on their plans for mobile? I've stuck with Hearthstone instead of moving to MTG because of the lack of mobile in the latter and friends that only play on mobile.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user