Linux OS stuff Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

What Linux distribution do you use @ HOME ?

• Slackware

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ubuntu

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • Mint

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Fedora

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Debian

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • SUSE

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Arch

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Gentoo

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Puppy

• Mandriva

• Other

Votes: 20 28.6%

• Total voters

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
For those who use Linux/Unix OS of any flavour, to discuss: distros, setups, uses, apps, configs, tweaks whatever

Post away! Let the deluge begin.......

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Deluge might be the wrong term. Slow trickle? Slightly moist condensation?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
We have CentOS / RHEL foisted upon us at work. I run Ubuntu at home, but honestly, it's 6 of one, half-dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned, at least for the server side of things. I run Mint for desktop use. Basically Ubuntu with Cinnamon on it.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
SmartOS is my current experimentation for server OS. It's a fork of Illumos which was Sun Open Solaris which Oracle took back causing the name change. Any way I think it's an amazing server platform as they perfected the Solaris zone container technology which was the pre cursor to Docker and I think it's way better than Docker.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
We use an ubuntu bastardization at work that doesn't have apt................ >_>

Reminds me of rPath. I've never had as much "fun" updating a distro as I did with OpenFiler. Seriously, why change this stuff at this point in the game?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For us it's because our distros are fairly limited and locked down due to security stuff

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I kinda want to work for Joyent just because of this guy:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
For us it's because our distros are fairly limited and locked down due to security stuff

Isn't it better just to do a local (limited) repo at that point and block its access to teh internets? I mean, you still want to have the ability to do a corporate network wide update in case of another huge issue like Heartbleed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Talking about a company that lost over a month of git commits FOR the entire company, so I don't know what they do

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh, fun. Yeah, forget what I said, then. They probably haven't even patched Heartbleed yet.

Wait, what company is this again? =D

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here still using Compiz and gnome 2 on their desktops?
Anyone have a 3 monitor setup?
Anyone here try Wayland yet in a newish distribution?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking to upgrade my front end desktop: I would like to upgrade my monitors to 4k with an AMD gfx card to drive them over DP using OSS drivers and Mesa stack.

I still use an old Fedora 19 with Compiz and Mate and a newer kernel with BFQ and BFS for my workstation but it is starting to creak around the edges as it is hand managed .

Problem of forced upgrade: I need a newer distro with new X, kernel and gfx card mesa stack that works with Compiz + mate or desktop that provides SIMILAR functionality. It has to drive 3 4k monitors over DP.

When I upgrade I would like to keep the same functionality I have now so as not to have to screw around with my workflow any if at all.

[1] 3 displays (4k over DP)

[2] and a 3x8 virtual desktop grid, sometimes bigger depending on what Im working on.

[3] I use 3 important Compiz plugins for navigation of desktop grid, and window selection and movement between desktops

a) * Expo plugin: shows 24 desktops accross 3 monitors, use for switching/moving/drag/dropping stuff between desktops
b) * Scale: window picker for current desktop and ALL 24 desktops
can quickly scan all windows, click to zoom in/out, browse, then select to go to right desktop
c) * plugins to slide between desktops and shortcuts to send windows directly to 1 of 24 desktops

kudos

<Banned>
I mostly use Arch for personal / regular computer stuff and Kali for work. I do like Ubuntu quite a bit but have moved over to Arch full time unless something at work requires a user friendly Linux OS. My co-worker swears by Mint but I don't see the big difference and with their lackluster security errors I tend to just stick with Ubuntu when needed.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
CentOS server at home. Xubuntu on an external SSD I load up into VirtualBox on my windows desktop and laptop.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Fedora, Ubuntu, Pentoo, Kali (of course), and raspian. I tried Puppy for an ancient laptop I had, worked ok but I forgot what I was even doing with that project. Strong preference for Fedora. My server is getting delivered on Monday and then I will be at one with the universe. Right now I just run a couple of VMs off my laptop.

I guess a lot of pentesters are using Ubuntu/PTF but I'm not really on that level where I need some specialized rig.

I plan on hitting up a wireless CTF in April and failing terribly at it, so boning up on Pentoo.