Linux OS stuff Thread

What Linux distribution do you use @ HOME ?

• Slackware

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Ubuntu

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • Mint

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Fedora

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Debian

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • SUSE

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Arch

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Gentoo

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Puppy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mandriva

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 21 29.2%

• Total voters

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
For those who use Linux/Unix OS of any flavour, to discuss: distros, setups, uses, apps, configs, tweaks whatever

Post away! Let the deluge begin.......

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Deluge might be the wrong term. Slow trickle? Slightly moist condensation?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
We have CentOS / RHEL foisted upon us at work. I run Ubuntu at home, but honestly, it's 6 of one, half-dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned, at least for the server side of things. I run Mint for desktop use. Basically Ubuntu with Cinnamon on it.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
SmartOS is my current experimentation for server OS. It's a fork of Illumos which was Sun Open Solaris which Oracle took back causing the name change. Any way I think it's an amazing server platform as they perfected the Solaris zone container technology which was the pre cursor to Docker and I think it's way better than Docker.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
We use an ubuntu bastardization at work that doesn't have apt................ >_>

Reminds me of rPath. I've never had as much "fun" updating a distro as I did with OpenFiler. Seriously, why change this stuff at this point in the game?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For us it's because our distros are fairly limited and locked down due to security stuff

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I kinda want to work for Joyent just because of this guy:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
For us it's because our distros are fairly limited and locked down due to security stuff

Isn't it better just to do a local (limited) repo at that point and block its access to teh internets? I mean, you still want to have the ability to do a corporate network wide update in case of another huge issue like Heartbleed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Talking about a company that lost over a month of git commits FOR the entire company, so I don't know what they do

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh, fun. Yeah, forget what I said, then. They probably haven't even patched Heartbleed yet.

Wait, what company is this again? =D

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone here still using Compiz and gnome 2 on their desktops?
Anyone have a 3 monitor setup?
Anyone here try Wayland yet in a newish distribution?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking to upgrade my front end desktop: I would like to upgrade my monitors to 4k with an AMD gfx card to drive them over DP using OSS drivers and Mesa stack.

I still use an old Fedora 19 with Compiz and Mate and a newer kernel with BFQ and BFS for my workstation but it is starting to creak around the edges as it is hand managed .

Problem of forced upgrade: I need a newer distro with new X, kernel and gfx card mesa stack that works with Compiz + mate or desktop that provides SIMILAR functionality. It has to drive 3 4k monitors over DP.

When I upgrade I would like to keep the same functionality I have now so as not to have to screw around with my workflow any if at all.

[1] 3 displays (4k over DP)

[2] and a 3x8 virtual desktop grid, sometimes bigger depending on what Im working on.

[3] I use 3 important Compiz plugins for navigation of desktop grid, and window selection and movement between desktops

a) * Expo plugin: shows 24 desktops accross 3 monitors, use for switching/moving/drag/dropping stuff between desktops
b) * Scale: window picker for current desktop and ALL 24 desktops
can quickly scan all windows, click to zoom in/out, browse, then select to go to right desktop
c) * plugins to slide between desktops and shortcuts to send windows directly to 1 of 24 desktops

kudos

<Banned>
I mostly use Arch for personal / regular computer stuff and Kali for work. I do like Ubuntu quite a bit but have moved over to Arch full time unless something at work requires a user friendly Linux OS. My co-worker swears by Mint but I don't see the big difference and with their lackluster security errors I tend to just stick with Ubuntu when needed.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
CentOS server at home. Xubuntu on an external SSD I load up into VirtualBox on my windows desktop and laptop.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Fedora, Ubuntu, Pentoo, Kali (of course), and raspian. I tried Puppy for an ancient laptop I had, worked ok but I forgot what I was even doing with that project. Strong preference for Fedora. My server is getting delivered on Monday and then I will be at one with the universe. Right now I just run a couple of VMs off my laptop.

I guess a lot of pentesters are using Ubuntu/PTF but I'm not really on that level where I need some specialized rig.

I plan on hitting up a wireless CTF in April and failing terribly at it, so boning up on Pentoo.