Liquors & Cocktails

bralkan

The old ways are still best
rrr_img_1233.jpg

rrr_img_1234.jpg

I really like the Ardbeg. The 10 year Laphroaig isn't my favorite, but the quarter cask is very nice. I pretty much only like the Islay scotches exclusively.

rrr_img_1233.jpg

rrr_img_1234.jpg

rrr_img_1233.jpg

rrr_img_1234.jpg

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
My girlfriend used to manage a pair of liquor stores so I got to try some fancy booze for free. I really enjoyed this rum and I think it stands its ground against rums that are much pricier.

mountgayextraold2.jpg

I'm also not a big scotch fan, but this port cask glenmorangie is awesome.

glenmorangie_quinta_ruban.jpg

mountgayextraold2.jpg

glenmorangie_quinta_ruban.jpg

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
This is my whiskey of choice.

It's got more rye in it than most bourbons and I would call it full flavored. If you're used to Crown Royal or something like it, this will kick you in the ass but if you like whiskey then this stuff is awesome. $29 a bottle around here.
If you like Bulleit another great bourbon in that price range is Elijah Craig 12 year. Both are around $25 in my area, excellent sipping bourbons.

I recently went through a bottle of Whistle Pig that my wife got me, really good rye whiskey. One of the best I've had, but pricey.

Tral_sl

shitlord
Been drinking Jim Beam Rye almost exclusively lately. Quite good for the price. I'd like to try more rye blends, but seems like there's a pretty big price jump to "nicer" stuff.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you like Bulleit another great bourbon in that price range is Elijah Craig 12 year. Both are around $25 in my area, excellent sipping bourbons.
Elijah Craig is good. If you're willing to spend a bit more, Rowan's Creek is a personal favorite.

Dalnoth_sl

shitlord
How is that Kraken Rum anyway? I've always wanted to try it but never wanted to throw down the 30$ for a bottle blindly.

Turkish

Caaaan do
Made an attempt to organize the recommendations in my first post. I'll update it periodically.

Ryanz

<Banned>
How is that Kraken Rum anyway? I've always wanted to try it but never wanted to throw down the 30$ for a bottle blindly.
I'm no liquor connoisseur or anything but it tastes good (to me) and mixes well with Rootbeer or Coke/Pepsi. It also gets you fucked up. So...all good things in my book. Their website is really well designed and has a bunch of recipes you can experiment with:http://www.krakenrum.com/recipes

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Want to throw in my favorite bourbon. Four Roses Single Barrel. 100 proof so a bit more burney than most bourbons but it tastes so good and is so smooth. Love it. At about $30-$40 a 750mL it can't be beat, imo.

Four+roses+single+barel+correct+picture.JPG

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've become convinced that, unlike beer, scotch isn't something I'll ever be able to get accustomed to (at least in terms of sipping it neat. I can drink everything when it's mixed). I've been trying to force myself to enjoy it for years and have had some truly high quality stuff, but it all continues to taste like shit.

Any ideas on how to ease into scotch to reach the point where I can appreciate and enjoy it? For example, when turning someone into a beer drinker you can start by giving them stuff like Hoegaarden and progress to the hoppier beers over time. Is there any newbie-friendly kind of scotch that I'm not aware of?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Try it with a little water or a couple larger ice cubes to water it down a bit
I've tried that, and it does help a little I guess. My friend practically attacked me when he saw me watering down a glass of his $450 Glenfiddich 25 year.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
The beer approach is fine. Just find one mild enough for you to enjoy and progress from there. The problem is that it's a lot easier to try a bunch of different $4 beers than $50 scotch's.

If you want a specific suggestion, I really think you should give the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban a try. There is hardly any scotch that I truly enjoy, especially when it gets peaty(gag), but I can sip the Quinta Ruban straight no problem.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've tried that, and it does help a little I guess. My friend practically attacked me when he saw me watering down a glass of his $450 Glenfiddich 25 year.
Glenlivet 12 is a smooth, low peat and easy to find scotch. I also like Macallen 12 as an entry level scotch, though it has more character (and therefore more bite) than Glenlivet. No one should shit a brick if you do ice and/or water with those, since they are <$50. Though I would strongly recommend ice instead of a straight water add.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Advice so far is good, definitely stick to highland while you work your way in, Islays are a special taste that even some scotch drinkers don't enjoy. Adding some ice and letting it melt a little will not only smooth things out but also release alot of the a natural oils which enhances the flavor, pretty much every distillery I have toured has recommended adding a very small amount of natural spring water to release these oils, either way works fine. If you want to mix I would suggest a rusty nail, usually I get it with a blended scotch. Rusty nail is scotch and drambuie (scotch liqueur) over ice. More or less scotch mixed with scotch but much sweeter. Good luck I hope you find something you enjoy

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
oh. uh yeah I wouldn't do that.

and I endorse Haast's recommendations. but I don't have a problem with a splash of water. ice has the added effect of chilling it which will make it smoother, so that may help in getting you adjusted to the taste.

Tenks

I went with the poor man in college approach of buying shit-tier whiskeys and eventually when I could afford something that didn't taste like sewage from an oak barrel it tasted like angel jizz

Tenks

Forgot to mention this. Maybe I did. Who knows.

Anyways my GF got me this mini barrel that is designed for aging spirits.Hereit is. So far it seems pretty cool. I've aged some Evan Williams Black in it for a few months. Really mellowed it out, imparted a really strong red'ish hue to the liquor and gave a ton of oakey aftertaste. Right now I have some Famous Grouse in there.