Liquors & Cocktails

Inabox_sl

shitlord
Just bought a bottle of WhistlePig Straight Rye Whiskey. Will let you guys know how it tastes when it gets here.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I would say start with something like Crown Royal. It's very smooth and not very grimace inducing and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than gagging down single malt Scotch. No point in buying expensive stuff if you don't even like it.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I mostly stick to Evan Williams Honey Reserve. The Wild Turkey version is about the same, so I'll drink that too. Others I've tried just aren't as good.

xKALECx

Golden Knight of the Realm
After 6 years on a waiting list, I finally scored it! A bottle of 12 year Van Winkle! For those in the know with Bourbon, you can appreciate how hard this shit is to come by. Also a quick history lesson, but the last living master distiller of Van Winkle, and the oldest living bourbon distiller in the United States created the recipe that is Elmer T. Lee Bourbon. For an affordable smooth bourbon, it's hard to beat.

Pic of my latest acquisition!!
rrr_img_4134.jpg

The Elmer T. Lee
rrr_img_4136.jpg

rrr_img_4134.jpg

rrr_img_4136.jpg

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
oh. uh yeah I wouldn't do that.

and I endorse Haast's recommendations. but I don't have a problem with a splash of water. ice has the added effect of chilling it which will make it smoother, so that may help in getting you adjusted to the taste.
You always drink scotch with some water added in, splash of water is my preferred method but one or two ice cubes is also good if you're going cask strength. Watching the tanins start to swirl around can tell you a lot about what you are about to drink and how much effort has gone into making it taste like it does. No water in scotch and you're basically wasting its flavor. Balvenie 12 is a great low cost bottle that has an incredibly complex flavor. I completely concur with Oban, usually go 12 but the 14 is where it moves from incredible scotch to some of the best.

Islay is really hard to get people into. Working at a bar I don't think that I ever even attempted to recommend it to anyone that I didn't know already knew the taste. Bowmore is a really good intro to Islay and a few speysides also do this fairly well although they're nowhere near the peatiness of the already mentioned Islays. Cask strengths have been fun to get into over the past year. It's supposed to be the scotch in its purest distiller form and hasn't had the chance to be rotated with age yet. It's got a ton of alcohol but Edradour 10 has been one of my long running favorite scotches.

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
I like a good honey whiskey or spiced rum. When the wife and I have have a few of our friends over, its usually vodka though since bitches love vodka. 3 Olives is our choice, the flavors are great and you will wasted after 2 bottles, they have Loopy which tastes and smells just like fruit loops, very tasty. Mango and Strawberry are my other 2 of choice.

Malice_sl

shitlord
This has been my go-to whiskey for a while. Not terribly expensive, something around 45 dollars for 750ml. Not many stores stock it though. It has a pretty smooth taste and is on the sweeter side. Dessert in a glass:

rrr_img_4484.jpg

rrr_img_4484.jpg

xKALECx

Redbreast isn't bad at all in terms of Irish Whiskey. Definitely more flavorful than Jameson.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Want to throw in my favorite bourbon. Four Roses Single Barrel. 100 proof so a bit more burney than most bourbons but it tastes so good and is so smooth. Love it. At about $30-$40 a 750mL it can't be beat, imo.
If you are a Four Roses fan, and also like beer, try to get your hands on a bottle of Boulevard's Rye on Rye. This year they aged in in Four Roses Bourbon barrels. Very distinct bourbon/whiskey aftertaste.

Here's my post about it in the beer thread:http://www.rerolled.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post14432

The picture I linked was the 2012 batch from early this year, it wasn't Four Roses. The currently available 2013 batch is what was aged in Four Roses barrels.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
After 6 years on a waiting list, I finally scored it! A bottle of 12 year Van Winkle! For those in the know with Bourbon, you can appreciate how hard this shit is to come by.
My local liquor store once had a bottle of Family Reserve 15 year that I was an idiot & didn't buy, next time I went back it was gone.

I've gotten a few bottles recently from various vendors & family for the holidays, some quick impressions:

Bulleit Rye: Don't care for it. I love their bourbon, the rye is not nearly as good imo.
Hirsch Small Batch Reserve: I've had this once before and loved it, still do. One of the best tasting bourbons I've had.
Elijah Craig 18 yr: Good, don't like it as much as their 12 year. The 12 year is a lot smoother in my opinion.
Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select: Pretty good, I don't think I'd buy it for myself though.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's pretty good. Not sure it's worth the $45 it costs in my area, I enjoy Elijah Craig, Bulleit, or Buffalo Trace more and they're all ~$25. Definitely not bad though.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Basil Hayden is good, but it's probably the worst of the Beam small batches in terms of quality to price. 1792 is my go to for value. Bookers is excellent for a full bodied bourbon if you're looking to spend a bit more.

I'd certainly put it ahead of Bulleit, Elijah Craig, and Buffalo Trace in terms of quality. I like all of those in their own way, but they aren't really comparable. Basil Hayden has a decently tight cut, and has more rye than the other Beam offerings so it does offer something a little different.

xKALECx

I'm actually quite fond of Basil Hayden. I still think Elmer T Lee is the best bang for your buck (as do many Bourbon critics). If you are a Makers Mark fan, try the Makers 46 for a smoother bourbon. 1792 is a decent lower price bourbon, but not one of my liking. I'd much rather go with a Knob Creek instead for the price. If your willing to spend just a tad more, make sure you try Blanton's. It's an excellent small batch bourbon.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Can't disagree with any of that. A lot of people prefer Elmer to 1792, and it's easy to see why. All of the Beam small batches are good in their own right - including the always under rated Bakers. Once your into top shelf bourbon like Bookers and Blanton then there are no bad choices. I've been drinking a lot of the unfiltered single barrel Knob Creek lately, and for $35 there isn't much (anything) that competes. I've also been enjoying a Willett 7 year single barrel that I picked up on a whim. It's very,very good and I'm looking forward to trying the 11 year.

The bourbon I drink the most of, however, is the Four Roses Single Barrel OBSQ. I don't think the specific yeast strains and mash bills are widely (at all?) available outside of Kentucky though. OBSQ is the 2011 special edition recipe though, so you may see a bottle of it. Fair bit of warning though - the Q strain of yeast is extremely unique and it creates a highly unique bourbon that does not suit everyone. Unfortunately, the special edition costs a lot ~$70 and so unless you're rolling in money I would probably pass.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
I'm content to drink Captain Morgan. I can't stand non-spiced rums. Bacardi is lighter fluid to me. I do have a bottle of Macallen 15 year that I work on from time to time.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I don't drink too often, but I was introduced to Tito's Handmade Vodka. It's one of the best Vodka's I've ever had. Also Wolfen, I'm the same with rums, you should give Sailor Jerry a try though. Otherwise I usually stick to Capt. Morgan and Capt. Morgan Black.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone tried Yamazaki 12 year? Secondly for drinking whisky neat is it worth picking up a set of glencairn glasses vs just drinking it out of a rocks glass?

Tea_sl

shitlord
It's definitely worth getting a set of snifters in general for anything that wants to be drunken out of a snifter - brandy, whisky, and certain beers.