Liquors & Cocktails

is this a pretty well known brand, like can i walk into my liquor depot, say sailor jerry and be on my way?

its a giant cvs of liquor so im assuming 90% they should have it.
Sailor Jerry used to be niche and a little pricey, now it's everywhere and the price has come down a lot. the SJ 80 proof is every where afaik, the 92 you might have to look around for If you don't like the taste of liquor SJ pretty perfect, pour it into a Dr. Pepper or a Cherry Coke and it almost disappears.

c1cb67f58c30f5cae07e228b4fa88a13.jpg

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
If you can't find Sailor Jerry, go with Mount Gay
Not sure if you were trolling me i had to google this shit lol... shows how much i frequent the liquor store, gonna head over tomorrow and check out the rums everyone suggested any other kinds that are worth mentioning?

an 'adult' rum that is really good is Appleton Estate. It's real rum, no spices, full flavored, made for sipping straight or rocks. a total waste to pour in a soda. sorta expensive.

907313_0_9999_v1_m56577569836177630.jpg

Tea_sl

shitlord
I've never understood the whole spiced rum thing because it mostly tastes like crap rum with crap flavors added to me.

Appleton 12 year and the Estate V/X are both excellent. Havana Club rums are similarly universally good if there's a distributor for them around you. Two of my favorite rums are Depaz blue cane rhum and Amrut old port deluxe. God damn, now I want some rum.

I've never understood the whole spiced rum thing because it mostly tastes like crap rum with crap flavors added to me.

Appleton 12 year and the Estate V/X are both excellent. Havana Club rums are similarly universally good if there's a distributor for them around you. Two of my favorite rums are Depaz blue cane rhum and Amrut old port deluxe. God damn, now I want some rum.
I think spiced rum is where a lot of people start before they head to deeper water. I drank shit tons of it in my youth, cant stand it now. It's like training wheels on a bike. Any rum is better than Bacardi .. ANY! almost makes me angry Bacardi is allowed to call itself rum

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
i went to the liquor store today checked out everything you guys listed but came home with nothing
frown.png
everything is basically all the same price, 20$ for 750L unless its the appleton EXTRA like 8 bucks more, now that i think about it im gonna head back out and grab that appleton, and start my testing there.

i went to the liquor store today checked out everything you guys listed but came home with nothing
frown.png
everything is basically all the same price, 20$ for 750L unless its the appleton EXTRA like 8 bucks more, now that i think about it im gonna head back out and grab that appleton, and start my testing there.
post a review, curious to hear your feedabck.

frown.png

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Picked up the Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon over the weekend. First glass was a little rougher than I expected.

I think I'll try it side-by-side with Rowan's Creek (my personal gold standard) for a better comparison. More to come...

Tea_sl

shitlord
4 roses small batch is legit for it's price, but it's going to be outmatched by a lot of stuff higher up the food chain. The single barrel is similar in price to Rowan's and competes well, but I personally prefer Rowan's. The single barrel, barrel strength Four Roses stands pretty tall at the top end of the spectrum though.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
4 roses small batch is legit for it's price, but it's going to be outmatched by a lot of stuff higher up the food chain. The single barrel is similar in price to Rowan's and competes well, but I personally prefer Rowan's. The single barrel, barrel strength Four Roses stands pretty tall at the top end of the spectrum though.
Makes sense. Small Batch kind of reminded me of Elijah Craig, which I think is priced similarly.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Yeah, bourbon isn't like wine where you can pick up an amazing bottle for $10 because it comes from an area not famous for producing wine. It scales fairly rigidly where the more money you spend the better the bourbon is. There are of course some that fight above their weight class and some that are underwhelming for the price, but on the whole bourbon is probably the most consistent in pairing price and quality out of any liquor.

eek_sl

shitlord
Yeah, bourbon isn't like wine where you can pick up an amazing bottle for $10 because it comes from an area not famous for producing wine. It scales fairly rigidly where the more money you spend the better the bourbon is. There are of course some that fight above their weight class and some that are underwhelming for the price, but on the whole bourbon is probably the most consistent in pairing price and quality out of any liquor.
Well, you'll never get hidden bourbon regions, since it literally is only made in the US, and generally only in Kentucky. A fairer comparison would be comparing champagnes, since that only comes from a specific region. You pay more, you get better, nothing flies under the radar since it only has to cover a small region of producers. Either way, I agree with your statement, just not the comparison.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
When I went side by side, the Small Batch came off less harsh, but also had less flavor/depth in comparison to Rowan's. So basically, Tea was on the money.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I love 4Roses because it is 100 proof so it gives much more of a burn in the gut and a great throat feel. At least for my personal taste. 4Roses is my favorite bourbon but a bit expensive for my everyday drink.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I love 4Roses because it is 100 proof so it gives much more of a burn in the gut and a great throat feel. At least for my personal taste. 4Roses is my favorite bourbon but a bit expensive for my everyday drink.
I assume you are talking about the Single Barrel version, since that is the 100 proof one? I have the Small Batch, which is a bit less expensive and 90 proof. Tea called out the Single Barrel as higher quality to go with the higher price.

eek_sl

shitlord
Has anyone tried the new set of Japanese whiskies hitting the market? I really love the Suntory Yamazaki 12 years, and was wondering if the Nikka stuff is worth checking out.

I created a mixed drink yesterday, on accident ofc-

Goslings Ginger Beer + Jim Beam = delicious. I call it the Golden God

edit: also this is apparently called a whiskey buck, fuck.