LitRPG

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Completionist Chronicles, book 7: Invent is out

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Invent-Completionist-Chronicles-Book-7-ebook/dp/B0B347KLTH
Maybe it’s been too long since book 6, but I am halfway through and I am not really enjoying it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Everybody was getting tired of the Earth Arc on RR too. People got excited for him getting back to Pallimustus and the obligatory team reunion as well, but, let's say, it petered out quickly. I ended up dropping the RR version around the end of what is intended to be the start of book 8.

The Builder invasion is a total bust. Nothing interesting happens, mainly because it's too big to be solved by Jason, and he's still Silver so he can't be expected to solve it anyway.
The reunion with the team is okay-ish.
He gets a new girlfriend, of course, and she leaves him because she's got stuff to do.
It's Dawn, of course, because why not
He does politics Jason style, which is, badly, and everyone lets him get away with it, because he's the MC and they know it.
He's trying to do a reset, with Jason trying to be an ordinary adventurer, except that's no longer really possible, so it falls flat already.

General thought from me: Could have been better if the series had a plan from the start, but since it's a full webseries with "the first idea I have, since I have a deadline of chapters to write for my Patreon" syndrome...
Well fuck. I'm half way through listening to book 5 and it is dragging bad for me. Jason is annoying as fuck sometimes and those spoilers don't make things sound any better for what comes next. Might be time to move on to the next series.
Dungeon Crawler Carl kicks the shit out of HWFWM.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So my kid sometimes watches Minecraft vids and we watched one of these that I thought was close enough to litrpg to share here. It's not targeting adults or young adults but it's still tolerable to watch with my son. The core premise is a fictional story arc of a rags to riches progression arc in an rpg setting, so pure litrpg in a thirty minute video.

• 1Pathetic

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well fuck. I'm half way through listening to book 5 and it is dragging bad for me. Jason is annoying as fuck sometimes and those spoilers don't make things sound any better for what comes next. Might be time to move on to the next series.
Dungeon Crawler Carl kicks the shit out of HWFWM.
DCC just needs more regular updates. It is trucking along though.

• 1Solidarity

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I wish another DCC book was coming out soon. I binged them all on audiobook in the last month or so.

• 1Like

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Reality Benders- Russian Sci fi Litrpg. Pretty good list a few posts above other than missing that one.
I am currently rereading threads of fate by michael head and Tower Apocalypse. Having no games currently to play I have been reading Litrpg for about 3 years straight both on Royalroad and eastern cultivation from wuxiaworld.com .

Litrpg is very addicting, I have a hard time reading regular fantasy now. Discovering litrpg just makes everything else suck by comparison.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah I wish another DCC book was coming out soon. I binged them all on audiobook in the last month or so.
I did the same thing and can't wait for me. GODDAMNIT DONUT!

I dropped HWFWM and started up the New Era Online series. I'm only a few chapters in but it's pretty good so far.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I dropped HWFWM and started up the New Era Online series. I'm only a few chapters in but it's pretty good so far.

Note that there's two trilogies in this one. The first 3 books wrap the story very well... and then Kuznits did a second trilogy that wasn't entirely needed. And there is now a spin-off (Biomancer).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have a hard time reading dogshit translations though.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Donut is perhaps my favorite character in all of LitRPG. And plenty of other books as well.

YOU'RE SCARING MONGO, CARL.

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Note that there's two trilogies in this one. The first 3 books wrap the story very well... and then Kuznits did a second trilogy that wasn't entirely needed. And there is now a spin-off (Biomancer).
Thanks for the heads up. I'm really enjoying Book 1 so far.

re: Donut
The fact that she types in all CAPS and Jeff Hays yells her lines cracks me up every single time.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So my kid sometimes watches Minecraft vids and we watched one of these that I thought was close enough to litrpg to share here. It's not targeting adults or young adults but it's still tolerable to watch with my son. The core premise is a fictional story arc of a rags to riches progression arc in an rpg setting, so pure litrpg in a thirty minute video.

This was awful even for minecraft videos. Tell your kid to get better taste.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This was awful even for minecraft videos. Tell your kid to get better taste.
Oh shit I didn't know you were a connoisseur of Minecraft machinima marketed to 7 year olds. Who is your favorite?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Reality Benders- Russian Sci fi Litrpg. Pretty good list a few posts above other than missing that one.
I read the first one of these and it was ok, enough that I wanted to read more. Except only 1 and 9 are on Kindle Unlimited. I get what the author is probably thinking, but a) he probably makes more when people read it on Unlimited vs. buying the book, and b) his shit ain't that good that I want to spend $6.50 on each one. His first book was nowhere near enough of a "hook" to make me want to spend that much for every subsequent book.

So now he's going to make zero dollars on 7 of the books as I pirate them.

I feel like KU is a perfect vehicle for shit like litrpg, because it isn't usually good enough to warrant a purchase, but you're paying the same amount every month, so why not read some schlock once in awhile? It's like when Netflix was just dvds in the mail, you were paying anyway so might as well keep them coming even if the movies aren't always great.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I read the first one of these and it was ok, enough that I wanted to read more. Except only 1 and 9 are on Kindle Unlimited. I get what the author is probably thinking, but a) he probably makes more when people read it on Unlimited vs. buying the book, and b) his shit ain't that good that I want to spend $6.50 on each one. His first book was nowhere near enough of a "hook" to make me want to spend that much for every subsequent book.

So now he's going to make zero dollars on 7 of the books as I pirate them.

I feel like KU is a perfect vehicle for shit like litrpg, because it isn't usually good enough to warrant a purchase, but you're paying the same amount every month, so why not read some schlock once in awhile? It's like when Netflix was just dvds in the mail, you were paying anyway so might as well keep them coming even if the movies aren't always great.
Just use Electronic library. Download books free. Finding books they have a ton of books there.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Maybe it’s been too long since book 6, but I am halfway through and I am not really enjoying it.
I finished it and enjoyed it. It does feel like he's in a boring realm with boorish NPCs. I wish they would've wrapped things up in this realm and moved onto the next one.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
After I finish Happy I'm probably going to figure out where I left off with Ascend Online or maybe The Greystone Chronicles
The references were obvious for EQ players but it was kinda nice to hear from the author that he loves EQ.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The references were obvious for EQ players but it was kinda nice to hear from the author that he loves EQ.
One of the odd stand-alone LitRPGs I've read, The Starfighter Invitation, contains slightly indirect references to... Fires of Heaven.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Everybody was getting tired of the Earth Arc on RR too. People got excited for him getting back to Pallimustus and the obligatory team reunion as well, but, let's say, it petered out quickly. I ended up dropping the RR version around the end of what is intended to be the start of book 8.

The Builder invasion is a total bust. Nothing interesting happens, mainly because it's too big to be solved by Jason, and he's still Silver so he can't be expected to solve it anyway.
The reunion with the team is okay-ish.
He gets a new girlfriend, of course, and she leaves him because she's got stuff to do.
It's Dawn, of course, because why not
He does politics Jason style, which is, badly, and everyone lets him get away with it, because he's the MC and they know it.
He's trying to do a reset, with Jason trying to be an ordinary adventurer, except that's no longer really possible, so it falls flat already.

General thought from me: Could have been better if the series had a plan from the start, but since it's a full webseries with "the first idea I have, since I have a deadline of chapters to write for my Patreon" syndrome...
Just finished Book 7 of He Who Fights Monsters, and thankfully either I'm too dense to pick up on subtlety, or he changed it when putting it in book format, or it actually happens in a later book, but the girlfriend spoiler you posted didn't come to pass. Which was a huge relief. The book wasn't as amazing as the first couple, but it was much better than the whole Earth arc, so it was kind of refreshing. Yeah, it is going to be tough for him to just go back to doing "small" shit after he got wrapped up in the literal existence of two realities, and him dealing with more powerful individuals came across as super cunty, but at least we've got all the good characters back and at least *some* "back to normal." So for me at least it was a nice change of pace.

Of course, Donut has more personality in a single whisker than Jason has in his whole body, but since there aren't a thousand Dungeon Crawler Carl books for me to read, this will have to do.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users