LitRPG

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Just finished Book 7 of He Who Fights Monsters, and thankfully either I'm too dense to pick up on subtlety, or he changed it when putting it in book format, or it actually happens in a later book,
That's entirely possible that I'm mistaking books (as I've read them on RR rather than AMZ). Things are slow anyway, so it could be book 8 (in which case book 8 spoiler becomes book 9). I don't think he's rewritten it, because it is fairly significant.

(just checked, and the chapters including the post-coital bliss and stuff are still on RR, so that's not this book).

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
(just checked, and the chapters including the post-coital bliss and stuff are still on RR, so that's not this book).

team america vomit GIF

Looking forward to that!

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
team america vomit GIF

Looking forward to that!
It's more of the Blade 2 scene where you got Blade lounging in a bathrobe and Nyssa in shorttop massaging his shoulders :)

(the explanation is also pure Jason, you'll see)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
For those of you that have read Defiance of the Fall, can anyone tell me who the fuck Big Blue is? He/She/It seems to be hanging around Billy and/or Thea at this point (Book 6), and other than one other time it was mentioned, and I was equally mystified then, I don't remember a fucking thing about it. I tried googling and looking through the wiki (which fucked me and ruined the "fridging" that Ukerric mentioned on the first page of this thread and I strenuously avoided and then forgot about because I figured the author maybe changed his mind since I'm on Book 6 and it hasn't happened yet) and there isn't any mention of Big Blue there. It isn't Little Bau, the kraken that Sap Trang befriended, yet Big Blue apparently has tentacles too? It sounds like a pet, but I'm completely fucking dumbfounded. Halp?

From getting spoiled on the fridging, it seems the author might have backpedaled on that some according to that wiki entry, but since I'm not caught up to the current story yet I can't say. Nor can I say if it is a shitty job of doing it or not.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
For those of you that have read Defiance of the Fall, can anyone tell me who the fuck Big Blue is? He/She/It seems to be hanging around Billy and/or Thea at this point (Book 6), and other than one other time it was mentioned, and I was equally mystified then, I don't remember a fucking thing about it. I tried googling and looking through the wiki (which fucked me and ruined the "fridging" that Ukerric mentioned on the first page of this thread and I strenuously avoided and then forgot about because I figured the author maybe changed his mind since I'm on Book 6 and it hasn't happened yet) and there isn't any mention of Big Blue there. It isn't Little Bau, the kraken that Sap Trang befriended, yet Big Blue apparently has tentacles too? It sounds like a pet, but I'm completely fucking dumbfounded. Halp?

Big Blue is the Thea's librarian for the skill library she got as a quest reward. Some kind of tentacle monster.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

From getting spoiled on the fridging, it seems the author might have backpedaled on that some according to that wiki entry, but since I'm not caught up to the current story yet I can't say. Nor can I say if it is a shitty job of doing it or not.

Squid librarian owned by Thea.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Big Blue is the Thea's librarian for the skill library she got as a quest reward. Some kind of tentacle monster.

Squid librarian owned by Thea.
Thanks guys! It was driving me insane but I didn't want to keep digging after already getting a major spoiler.

Now, I know I'm not the best with names and some of the fault is my own, but I feel like if he's only been mentioned like one time in the previous five fucking books, the author could have done something like, "The touchy librarian, Big Blue..." or something similar the next time he's referenced hundreds and hundreds of pages later. But that's just me, with zero hit books to my name, so what do I know??

By the way, I have to say that I really thought I wouldn't like Ogras when he was first introduced (his demon right-hand man with the shadows, yes I know he's a major major character, but just in case anyone is fuzzy on who it is like I was with Big Blue!), but he's consistently pretty entertaining. I wish he got to get a little murdery more often, but I'll take what I can get.

velk

Trakanon Raider
It's been a while since I read that part, but I suspect that it may be a victim of non-pov editing for the book versions - from memory that guy only pops up for a couple of chapters and then is never seen again.

Ogras is a sleazy scumbag, and has no shame about this whatsoever. It's what makes him entertaining I think. Normally it'd contrast badly with the main cast, but given the main character is an amoral sociopath, being a sleazy scumbag actually qualifies as comic relief ;p

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
He who fights monsters author begins the long dwindling road into permanent hiatus and abandonment of his story.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It's impressive that he managed to stretch that turd out as long as he has. It started well but the signs of decline were obvious once he became involved with the goings on in that first city, I dropped it shortly after that undersea trial arc.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
He who fights monsters author begins the long dwindling road into permanent hiatus and abandonment of his story.
It's kinda hard to end a series when that series brought you a five figure per month before even Amazon and Audible...

(checked, looks like he still gets around 70k per month)

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider

That was pretty obviously coming even from as far back as the middle of the earth arc, where some of the chapters literally consisted entirely of posing and trash talking, like it was DBZ filler.

Commercial success is a double edged sword I guess - it's hard to say 'fuck it, I'm sick of this shit and want to do something new' when it's paying your mortgage.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Been reading Mark of the Crijik | Royal Road

It's kind of like Magic Smithing but the author is much less of whiny bitch. The Magic Smithing guy was a very gifted character writer and this guy is less so. But still enjoyable.

Macronomicon is one of the most gifted character writers I've ever had the pleasure of reading. Dude creates loads of compelling characters. But he can't finish a story to save his life. Luckily he is an extremely prolific writer in general so it ends up being okay... I guess. But can't a brother get some closure once in a while?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Meanwhile Pirateaba continues to write The Wandering Inn with no end in sight, even with plot threads and old mysteries being addressed. Updates twice a weak (takes breaks toward the end of each month), 20-30k words per update.

• 1Salty

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Yeah but what you get is shit like magical butlers with combat carriages, homosexual lizards and insect/human romance.

• 3Worf
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 3 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of prolific writers, just finished Defiance of the Fall 7, and I see that there are another fucking 300 chapters on RR/Patreon, which should be about another 3 books. He writes a chapter about every day it seems. Fuck me. Granted, a lot of it is pretty repetitive or boring or pointless, but that's still a lot of words on paper.

Found out what happened with the fridging, then the reversal because I assume people freaked the fuck out on him and he had to come up with some way to fix it, but I feel it is still a pretty big cop out.

Overall I'm sort of meh on the series, but it keeps me reading, so there's that I suppose. And knowing there is a shitload more already out there is appealing, unless it ends up sucking.

Am I the only one that notices all the snorting? Every motherfucker snorts in these books. Not cocaine or snuff, but apparently they all make that embarrassing noise with their nose constantly. I counted 5 in one chapter once. Once I notice something like that, it stands out to me, and it drives me fucking insane. Hopefully someone complained to him and the next 300 chapters are snortless, or at least snort-reduced. But if I have to notice it, now you do too!

Currently trying to figure out what to read next. Anybody have some good litrpg series suggestions? They need to be in book form (whether Kindle Unlimited or just downloaded) as I can't see any way to read something like Royal Road on my Kindle and ain't nobody got time to read on websites. I've read a lot of the big series, HWFWM, Dungeon Crawler Carl, Murderhobo, the one with the Ritualist guy (Jason?) and his chiropractor buddy Jax with the T-Rex arms, multiple dungeon series (Troll Nation is the only one that pops to mind, but there are several I've read), Everybody Loves Large Chests, Reality Benders, that one about The Land by the "king of litrpg" that turned into a giant faggot, I've also read a couple books of The Wandering Inn and I gave up on that after hating that barefoot runner bitch for like an entire book, and the main character is almost (but not quite) as annoying...I'm sure there are plenty of others that I'm forgetting and will only remember once you've suggested them.