Losing your Job

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Escape rooms are the hotness right now. Seems like all the corporate "team building" events are happening in them now. And of course the regular family/tourist traffic.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
alavaz alavaz hit the nail on the head. It's a huge trend for corporations right now which we hope to capitalize on. I'm also in a decent sized city that while has some entertainment venues, isn't loaded with them. The current market would probably support 3 different rooms, currently there is one other in town that I've done a few times. Its quality is okay, their rooms are mostly on the easier end which requires them to change themes often...which they don't seem to do.

We plan to market to the Mayo Clinic a lot for team building as well and offer special rates for them, They employ 34,000 people just in my city so there's a large opportunity there.

And yeah chaos chaos I get that reaction sometimes. When you tell people you're opening a business they expect a traditional business that sells product of some sort, not many think of an entertainment venue of some sort.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Escape rooms are the hotness right now.

The problem with starting a business that is "the hotness right now" is that by the time you are up and running, the fad might be over. I guess on the upside, the start-up costs are pretty low compared to a lot of businesses. I would be careful not to go too deep in debt and know when to quit if it's not working. You don't want to get to the point where you're throwing good money after bad hoping things are going to pick up after the tourists and the corporate team builders have moved on to the next thing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
They've been popular for awhile now, its just corporations have latched onto them in the last 6months to a year as well.

And yes, start up is lower compared to most businesses. Or overhead will be minimal as well.

Longevity of them can be fine, I know a guy who has ran one for the last 4 years, hes ran it well and correctly and his margins are pretty crazy. I'm fairly confident and prepared for a few different scenarios. I've always been a hope for the best, plan for the worst type of person anyway, my most recent ex wife perfected that mentality in me. heh

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
First I ever heard of "escape rooms". Dumbest fucking thing ever

Lots of things are dumb and make money. Professional Pooper Scoopers, Botteled Water, whoever was in charge of hiring you. Yet the world goes round. -shrug-

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The escape room is only as fun as the company you do it with. If I had to go as a team builder with a bunch of people I hate then it would suck. I went with the guys I work with though (enlisted/contractors) and had a blast.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Except your "business" idea is dumb and won't make money
That's where you're wrong kiddo. There are a few in DC and a friend did one while he was interning with the CIA. I have done it also, it was quite fun.

Tarrant Tarrant you should make your own thread on it and let people help you come up with new rotations. Also you should do a "late night" version that is a little edgier for 18+ maybe. That would be a unique thing that I haven't seen in one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Except your "business" idea is dumb and won't make money

Dude, those things make cash hand over fist in Austin. Not sure WTF you're smoking. The DC ones are nailing it too I'm sure.

Funny escape room story (I don't go to them because I think they're dumb ZyyzYzzy ZyyzYzzy ). But my lady went to one a few months ago with some coworkers. She grew up in Ukraine and this escape/quest room bullshit was some Secret Agent theme. Go into the room and there's just this red phone and whatever. It rings and spouts off a bunch of numbers in Russian, which she just writes down immediately.

Turns out the majority of this particular theme was predicated on the idea that white Austinites wouldn't know Russian and would have to piece some things together. She dramatically decreases the time it takes to do that and they complete it pretty quick. Owner comes out and apologizes as the Russian bit hadn't been a problem before. He wanted to do something creative with language and this was one of his first attempts. He was unable to do so with Vietnamese/Chinese/Korean and any Indian language because Austin is full of these people and he avoided normal Euro languages.

They got half of their cost back and some free drinks.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Dude, those things make cash hand over fist in Austin. Not sure WTF you're smoking. The DC ones are nailing it too I'm sure.

Funny escape room story (I don't go to them because I think they're dumb ZyyzYzzy ZyyzYzzy ). But my lady went to one a few months ago with some coworkers. She grew up in Ukraine and this escape/quest room bullshit was some Secret Agent theme. Go into the room and there's just this red phone and whatever. It rings and spouts off a bunch of numbers in Russian, which she just writes down immediately.

Turns out the majority of this particular theme was predicated on the idea that white Austinites wouldn't know Russian and would have to piece some things together. She dramatically decreases the time it takes to do that and they complete it pretty quick. Owner comes out and apologizes as the Russian bit hadn't been a problem before. He wanted to do something creative with language and this was one of his first attempts. He was unable to do so with Vietnamese/Chinese/Korean and any Indian language because Austin is full of these people and he avoided normal Euro languages.

They got half of their cost back and some free drinks.
And I'm pretty sure she'll go back to it again some time, right?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
And I'm pretty sure she'll go back to it again some time, right?

Yep. Maybe not that particular place as Austin has fucking tons of them. But it isn't like she won't go to another, she just thought that it was funny half the puzzle was predicated on a language she knew.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Lesson learned for Tarrant Tarrant , if you're going to do any puzzles based on language then screen your participants and have the languages be modular so they can be swapped out on a moments notice

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah I wouldn't ever chance that language thing, the area I'm in while not huge, is pretty diverse due to the Mayo Clinic.

And yeah I'll probably make a thread or post in the other business thread eventually.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Last year, my company's support department went to one of these things. I had been working here like, 60 days. It was a Zombie theme. My VP flashed her tits to the Zombie. Three times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user