Losing your Job

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
In no way, shape, or form will I ever admit to anyone I work with that I visit this forum.

This forum is pretty high brow and level headed if you stay out of the mmo forums. I'm actually happy I found this place all those years back. People on the whole are pretty friendly, moderation is fair, topics move quick depending on the thread and there's a wide range of interests. If it wasn't for this place it'd just be 4chan which can be too impersonal at times.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Heh we're actually going to an escape room Thursday. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

• 2Like

Tenks

Escape rooms are almost turn key. You just have one dude sitting at the counter making $9/hr while charging $30/person. It is a fantastic business model.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

It is my team vs another team. Since we're engineers the competition will be fierce I'm sure. Although I voted we go bowling so I could sit at the bar and drink but this works too. Maybe I can convince my team to bring flasks.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Don't let that faggot get to you, It's a good idea. That escape room shit is mega popular in NYC. I stumbled into a couple of them accidentally last year and they do seem like fun if you're in a group of people you like.

The Top 10 New York City Room Escape Games - TripAdvisor

Trolls don't really get to me and he's not really good at it anyway.

And thanks, ideally you would have your own group ahead of time but there's always the option for mixed groups as well, it's why our rooms will also be of varying size so we can accomidate smaller groups that may not want strangers in them....or for those singles and pairs of strangers that do come in, don't need to wait long for people to start up a game.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Escape rooms are almost turn key. You just have one dude sitting at the counter making $9/hr while charging $30/person. It is a fantastic business model.

Seriously this. Your customer groups are on set time limits then they hit the bar out front or something and you get to charge 30/person in groups of 2-10 or something. Most of the puzzles aren't exactly expensive to create, but it does take some ingenuity and a certain kind of person to design them well. Rotate them around regularly and wait it out.

It is great for weeknights and even daytime "team building" corporate shit. Hard to get a better money making model honestly.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'll stop posting about it here and start posting about it in the business thread that Lyrical doesn't use anymore but others do.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Had interview today, 1 on 1, thought it went well. Got an email a few hours later to come in again on Weds to "meet with a few other team members." Unsure if it's another formal interview or if I'm going to get an offer.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Had interview today, 1 on 1, thought it went well. Got an email a few hours later to come in again on Weds to "meet with a few other team members." Unsure if it's another formal interview or if I'm going to get an offer.

One interview process I went through had me come in three different times to "meet with a few other team members". It was obnoxious.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have a friend who started an escape room on the side. He had a space he could use in a restaurant that's in an historic house, so it's a cool space. First month it was operational, it was booked for every session. Minimum of 6 people, $20 per person. It was open Thursday 5 - 9, Friday 6 - 11, Saturday 4 - 11, and Sunday 5-9. That's 20 hours with a minimum of $180 per hour. $3,600 per week, $14,400 in the first month. There were some start up costs, materials and such, but other than that, he pays $100 per week rent (using an otherwise empty room), and has a pretty smart 17 year old who works the desk and resets the room for $15 per hour, and he's thrilled with that.

He started clearing more than $3,000 the first week it was open. He has since opened 5 more. It's still a side-gig for him because he sets them up one at a time and then hires someone to babysit it.

It's a fantastic idea. I get to be one of the test audience for my buddy when he opens a new room or changes it out. It's a lot of fun.

• 1Like