Losing your Job

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My wife worked at the USPS for a few years. I didn't even know they hired part time.

There's a distinct divide between what they used to pay people and what they pay people now. My wife got hired right when the divide happened. Got hired in at $22 an hour and after a month they told her she was now getting paid $17. She went from City Carrier to full time regular eventually but with no pay increase. In order to make the $22 an hour she would've had to work like 7 more years just to get up to the old base pay.

The USPS is bleeding money and it shows. She said people were hired and quit so fast that they barely retained anyone new ,mostly just the old guys making great money with pensions (I think) too.

As far as the USPS job process, you get hired and then have to do training and a driving test. The shitty thing is a lot of people fail the driving test and are immediately fired. This happens like a week after you start, so keep that in mind

I didn't answer your question

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
My wife worked at the USPS for a few years. I didn't even know they hired part time.

There's a distinct divide between what they used to pay people and what they pay people now. My wife got hired right when the divide happened. Got hired in at $22 an hour and after a month they told her she was now getting paid $17. She went from City Carrier to full time regular eventually but with no pay increase. In order to make the $22 an hour she would've had to work like 7 more years just to get up to the old base pay.

The USPS is bleeding money and it shows. She said people were hired and quit so fast that they barely retained anyone new ,mostly just the old guys making great money with pensions (I think) too.

As far as the USPS job process, you get hired and then have to do training and a driving test. The shitty thing is a lot of people fail the driving test and are immediately fired. This happens like a week after you start, so keep that in mind

I didn't answer your question

Yeah. I've heard that about the stark divide between new and old hires. Anywhere union is like that these days and is definitely not endearing people to unions around here. When I look online I hear about the revolving door that is USPS employment.

I had an uncle who worked for USPS until he went to jail. Was a 20 year army vet and was pretty close to a double pension retirement. Shame he loved coke, hookers and murder. But I mean for as long as I knew the guy he was basically mentally handicapped and somehow managed to keep working a 60k/yr job doing some kind of tech work in the back.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Be direct. "I know this is a part-time position, and that is something that is acceptable for right now, but I am interested in a full time position in the long term. Is that something that happens often here or would be possible?" Something like that. Don't beat around the bush, let them know exactly where your head is at so you can make sure you get a real response that helps guide your decision.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Be direct. "I know this is a part-time position, and that is something that is acceptable for right now, but I am interested in a full time position in the long term. Is that something that happens often here or would be possible?" Something like that. Don't beat around the bush, let them know exactly where your head is at so you can make sure you get a real response that helps guide your decision.

Yeah. I'm just afraid of fucking myself here. They do ask for questions I suppose. The position as advertised is mega-shit but it's the only entry level shit they have.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Asking about upward mobility is never a negative thing.

To expand on this: Asking about where you can go in 6 months, a year, 5 years, etc with the company (upward mobility) shows you are looking at the company as a long term employment. Having been on "that" side of the interview table, I can safely say that I have a 50/50 split of people who asked about what kind of mobility/retention we had with employees. This made me happy; Made me feel like they were interested in growing their career with me, instead of getting resume fodder they'd be tossing around in 6 months to a year.

tl;dr Employers like to feel like they wont be replacing you before your first anniversary.

• 2Like

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
To expand on this: Asking about where you can go in 6 months, a year, 5 years, etc with the company (upward mobility) shows you are looking at the company as a long term employment. Having been on "that" side of the interview table, I can safely say that I have a 50/50 split of people who asked about what kind of mobility/retention we had with employees. This made me happy; Made me feel like they were interested in growing their career with me, instead of getting resume fodder they'd be tossing around in 6 months to a year.

tl;dr Employers like to feel like they wont be replacing you before your first anniversary.

Dis is good stuff. Thx for this. Will definitely say that.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Citrix
I also hate Citrix

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Citrix
I also have Citrix

Looks like network management in a Turbotax UI.

Also the person who was supposed to interview me (Postmaster) wasn't even there. They were out with another carrier. Things get mixed up on 4/20 I suppose.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Looks like network management in a Turbotax UI.

Also the person who was supposed to interview me (Postmaster) wasn't even there. They were out with another carrier. Things get mixed up on 4/20 I suppose.
Honestly this is about par for the course for the post office

• 1Solidarity

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Dude I don't print shit. If you print it, you have to bag it, and fuck dealing with that.

• 2Solidarity

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

This is definitely a thing. My current job is helping people find jobs.

Some general tips when applying.

Start from the top. By that I mean, go over the businesses that you actually want to work for, then apply to them first. And as Powah said above, make the company think you apply to "them". A lot of people, especially in "open" applications (meaning that you don't know that a company is hiring, but you give them a resume and application anyway) tend to have the same resume and application and hand that it everywhere. Unless you want an entry level job somewhere with fairly low to no education/certificate requirements, I wouldn't do that. It is more efficient, but I'd rather go to 4 different jobs handing in 4 different applications for 3 days than 12 in one. Quality over quantity also applies in job hunting. An application that the employer can see would fit anywhere does not make them think you want to work for them. Save quantity until every place you actually want to work for has turned you down.

I would
- Call ahead of the application, ask for the personnel / HR department. Ask if they are hiring, and if so, what positions. If not, tell them about your experience and if any specific department fits your skillset/education/experience better, and if you can send in a resume.
- Upon sending in the application, make a note of the call "Had a nice conversation with X and ..." (for larger companies, if you call HR first, your application might easily land on the desk of the one you called), and then write your application based on what you learned from HR. If you have a template you've used for previous applications, then maybe add/detract based on needs or wants you've learned about.

Point is to tailor applications, but same also goes for resumes. IE: If you have a college degree, you taken part in a lot of classes. Mainly in a resume, you might only list time spent in college + degree name. However, If you are applying for a job where you know that they want certain things more than others, and you've had classes, then you might add below your college info "relevant classes". Not every class is relevant, and different classes might be relevant for different jobs, so a resume, while more static than an application, can also have dynamic parts that you change based on the job you are applying for.

It is basically a sale. You want the employer to pay for your services which is the work you do. Like any sale, min/max applies. An employer want maximum value for the minimum they can pay you. If you do not single out yourself, and make your application/resume seem like you are applying everywhere, there is little chance the employer will single out our application. If the job requires education/experience, they will always single out a few that they want to talk to, meaning no generic applications makes it past the screening process. If they don't care, it will basically be the luck of the draw that makes you get hired from the number of applications they have. This is rarely the case for a job above minimum wage paygrades. Taking the time to Google their website or mention an expansion or something directly related to that place of work will immediately make it so that application obviously couldn't have been sent elsewhere, so with a sentence you can set yourself a part from quite a lot of applications. Now combine that with the mention of calling and a resume tailored also to their needs, and you already set yourself a part.

Another tip would be to add, but don't repeat. By that I mean if you write something like "problem solver" on your resume/CV, do not write that word/sentence in your application. Rather tie in an example of you actually doing it.

Job listings usually have qualifications / requirements. Think of that list as an ingredient list printed on a food/drink of some sort. "Contains, water, sugar, food colouring" What it contains the most of is listed first. In the qualifications/requirements on a job listing, odds are the top ones are what they really want. Rarely do they ever get the perfect candidate that has all their wants, but maybe they have the first 3-4 as internal requirements, and if you don't have that, they discard your application. However, if you are missing 6-7, they can work with that. Which is also why you should never talk yourself out of applying based on a list, because that is the job of whoever does the selection. Important part is just to never lie and to actually apply, maybe you're the only one with 5 of their wants out of 8 that actually apply. Also remember to tailor your application / resume to highlight those qualifications / requirements.

Market yourself and allow yourself to be head hunted so to speak. If you are looking for work, you are looking for work. It is all on you. You are the driving force. Like any sale, market yourself. In Norway (and fairly same it is similar more/less in most places) it is said around 40% of jobs are visible (listed) while 60% are in the hidden market. Those jobs include high tier jobs, but also jobs like storehouses where a manager can easily just walk in and say "We need another person, anyone know someone?"
It costs money to look for employees or have a job interview round, so if they can avoid it, employers will. One thing they often use then are external or internal databases where you can upload a resume/application. That way, before they list a job, they can do a search first to see if anyone fits their bill there. By adding yourself to any/all such platforms, you are constantly available to a much larger scale than if you only market yourself to the specific workplaces you yourself contact.

Also make sure your contact references are available and know they might be called and will speak well of you. "Who?" is not something you want your potential employer to hear when they call to hear what you are like. If you have multiple references, add the most relevant to the job you are applying for on top.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I wouldn't bring it up at all, all that will do is end with you being red-flagged out of that position. Interview as if it's the only position you're looking for, then IF you get offers both you can make up your mind and decline one.

edit: just realised this reply is a tad late :p

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't bring it up at all, all that will do is end with you being red-flagged out of that position. Interview as if it's the only position you're looking for, then IF you get offers both you can make up your mind and decline one.

edit: just realised this reply is a tad late :p

I also think you misunderstood his question; he was asking if its okay to go to a part time job interview and ask if there's opportunities to move to full time wihtin the same company.