Losing your Job

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If you can be responsible and work on a boat, you can do well. Most of the boat dudes I knew could only live in extremes. What I mean by that is that they could never work 40 hours a week, M-F and take home a few grand every two weeks and get by that way. The only way they know how to live is to work for 30 days straight, then be home for maybe 30 days straight. And they could blow 30k in 30 days easy too. These guys would be massive alcoholics and drug addicts if they didn't have the boat to break the party cycle. A lot of them did have warrants too for stupid shit because they'd be home on a bender and get a racing ticket or public intoxication or fighting or something like that then just go back to Alaska and blow off the court date. Then they'd come home and go to jail, spend all their money to get out of the charge and go back to Alaska.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think that's the case with most blue collar jobs, maybe to a lesser extent than fishing boats. In this country we tell people that if they're not a fuck up then they should go to college and get a white collar job and most of them do so blue collar is left with a lot of fuck ups. If you're not a fuck up alcoholic/junkie in these jobs and you can show up to work on time every day and do your job competently, you can do really well and you will never be out of a job. If you can manage fuck up alcoholic junkies, you can start your own company and make a lot of money.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
If you can be responsible and work on a boat, you can do well. Most of the boat dudes I knew could only live in extremes. What I mean by that is that they could never work 40 hours a week, M-F and take home a few grand every two weeks and get by that way. The only way they know how to live is to work for 30 days straight, then be home for maybe 30 days straight. And they could blow 30k in 30 days easy too. These guys would be massive alcoholics and drug addicts if they didn't have the boat to break the party cycle. A lot of them did have warrants too for stupid shit because they'd be home on a bender and get a racing ticket or public intoxication or fighting or something like that then just go back to Alaska and blow off the court date. Then they'd come home and go to jail, spend all their money to get out of the charge and go back to Alaska.

Yeah. The dudes with the brains are the ones who own their boats and can manage the furballs like BrutulTM BrutulTM says. This is what my father did. Furballs is his word for the junkie fuckups lol. He was always responsible with it. But he is the odd duck on that spectrum. My Grandfather was a lawyer. Dad went to university... got out and did a bunch of hard work jobs that didn't make shit until he realized he could make plenty of money fishing and that's what happened.

The man simply wasn't born to do a 9-5. You couldn't pay him enough to do it.

On the other side of the coin. Since they legalized marijuana for recreational use in Oregon one of my Dad's old employees on the boat is now making hand over fist selling pot. He's been selling pot/drugs and avoiding police for 40 years for this or that and today he's a legitimate businessman.

America, what a country.

Last edited:

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
3 interviews, 2 "conversations", a meet and greet and... I didn't get the job bros. Oh well, back to the salt mines.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It's cool, I have a job, just not the job I want. This job offer was just an aberration anyway, came out of the blue. I have an exit plan for this place but it's at a minimum a few months down the line.

• 1Solidarity

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Under a month old so not a necro I guess?

I'm back into the ranks of the unemployed. Was the low man on the totem pole and they wanted to move me into a department I had no interest in so here I go again. It's all just so tiresome.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Under a month old so not a necro I guess?

I'm back into the ranks of the unemployed. Was the low man on the totem pole and they wanted to move me into a department I had no interest in so here I go again. It's all just so tiresome.
It's always easier to get a job when you have a job... I'd have stayed in the department you got moved into while interviewing.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Right. The smart move was to grin and bear it until you get a new gig and then just stop showing up to work there.

images

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
I know, I know. They even called back like 3 days later to see if I wanted the other job but I really, sincerely did not. There's just so much quit in that boy. I need to find intrinsic motivation here or else this cycle'll just keep repeating I think.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I know, I know. They even called back like 3 days later to see if I wanted the other job but I really, sincerely did not. There's just so much quit in that boy. I need to find intrinsic motivation here or else this cycle'll just keep repeating I think.

How about not being homeless?

• 1Solidarity

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
How about not being homeless?

It's something I think about. I think I'd have to actually feel the lack of security of homelessness for it to be a big driver for me. I just need something positive to work towards. Staring down the barrel of 40 years of work is easier to do with some optimism.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm sorry man ....we had major issues this morning...I apologize

To: Craigslist
Sent: Monday, July 3, 2017 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: Electrician

Good morning, sir.

I'm at the location but nobody seems to be here.

On Jul 1, 2017 4:21 PM, "me"
wrote:
Alright I'll be there, thanks!

On Jul 1, 2017 4:19 PM, "craigslist 6194143689"
wrote:
Tony or greg
9811 xxxxxxxxxxx

Send from my iPhone
Edited
Xxxxxxx

On Jul 1, 2017, at 4:15 PM, me
wrote:

Sure can, just need an address and a name.
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Sent: Saturday, July 1, 2017 4:12 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Electrician
Ok
Can you stop by jobsite to meet my foreman on Monday around 930?

Send from my iPhone
Edited
Xxxxxxxxx
Xxxxxxxxx

On Jul 1, 2017, at 2:10 PM, me
wrote:
Not a problem, I go where the work is.
Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device
On Jul 1, 2017 2:08 PM, craigslist 6194143689 wrote:
We have work on Bloomingdale and Progress...but also elsewhere.. Can you drive to largo , st Pete or even Sarasota if necessary

Send from my iPhone
Edited

On Jul 1, 2017, at 10:48 AM, me
wrote:
Wirestrippers, Klein's, screwdrivers(multi) with electric detector built in. Scissors, razorknife, level, tape. No power tools, picked up a nice Ryobi for free but need charger/battery for it.
I mostly used my old bosses power tools when needed but often I preferred hand tools for day to day projects.
I'm 30, born in 86.

On Jul 1, 2017 7:51 AM, "craigslist 6194143689" wrote:
What kind of tools do you have?
How old are you?

Send from my iPhone
Edited

On Jun 29, 2017, at 7:44 PM, me
wrote:
Not currently employed by any company, I have been doing gigs off Craigslist to not starve and keep gas in the car. I've applied to many electrician companies but none have had enough journeyman to take me on.
Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device
On Jun 29, 2017 6:24 PM, craigslist 6194143689
wrote:
Are you working now?

Send from my iPhone
Edited

Reads from the bottom up.

Dude completely blew me off after the last email... Fuck my life.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's cool, I have a job, just not the job I want. This job offer was just an aberration anyway, came out of the blue. I have an exit plan for this place but it's at a minimum a few months down the line.

What government installation should we be looking for an active shooter situation in a few months?

I kid, I kid. Adebisi Adebisi how the job is

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I need help bros, the above company contacted me again and wants me to come in to interview tomorrow, while a tree company wants me to start working tomorrow, both pay the same hourly.

I really don't have the time or money to make the wrong choice. The above company already burned me once so I'm kind of worried that it's going to be a shit show while the tree company isn't glorious by any means but most likely more secure.

What the hell should I do?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If you have a family, go for the secure job and work for the flaky folks on the side to bolster income as needed?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I need help bros, the above company contacted me again and wants me to come in to interview tomorrow, while a tree company wants me to start working tomorrow, both pay the same hourly.

I really don't have the time or money to make the wrong choice. The above company already burned me once so I'm kind of worried that it's going to be a shit show while the tree company isn't glorious by any means but most likely more secure.

What the hell should I do?
tree company. Fuck that guy for ghosting you. It's not even a pay raise to try for the ghosted guy, I wouldn't even entertain that. If he's willing to ditch you before you even work for him, he's not gonna treat you better when you work for him.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users