Losing your Job

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
dude

at the last hour after all the fucking hoops i jumped for the first job offer

i got a fucking second job offer from a last minute impromptu interview on wall st

dude interviewed me in 15 minutes and was like lets hire dude instead of 5+ fuckign interviews background checks piss tests etc like hte first joint

better believe i took the 2nd offer after the pay bump

yeah im tipsy so wut

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sooooo... randomly got a tip on a job through a mailing list, one I'm not technically qualified for but the whole point of the job was that they are looking for someone with a good background. That was this morning, did a phone interview this evening, turned into an hour and a half thing. It actually went really, really well. So he had a few more bites, he told me they don't have a background that can match mine but he's going to close the loop anyway and we're meeting on Friday where he will give me a contingent offer. Dudes... I am fucking amazed... I have no idea what to think right now, if this turns out for real this will be some world-altering shit. Same pay I'm making now, WAY better benefits, work from home almost 100%, supporting some crazy shit that is super interesting, focused on pentesting but also automation and systems integration... I have never been so pumped for a job in my life. Training budget.. travel budget... conferences... things i didn't even know to ask for. Trying to stay level, it may not happen and then I'm stuck where I am for a few more months, but I want to believe bros.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Sooooo... randomly got a tip on a job through a mailing list, one I'm not technically qualified for but the whole point of the job was that they are looking for someone with a good background. That was this morning, did a phone interview this evening, turned into an hour and a half thing. It actually went really, really well. So he had a few more bites, he told me they don't have a background that can match mine but he's going to close the loop anyway and we're meeting on Friday where he will give me a contingent offer. Dudes... I am fucking amazed... I have no idea what to think right now, if this turns out for real this will be some world-altering shit. Same pay I'm making now, WAY better benefits, work from home almost 100%, supporting some crazy shit that is super interesting, focused on pentesting but also automation and systems integration... I have never been so pumped for a job in my life. Training budget.. travel budget... conferences... things i didn't even know to ask for. Trying to stay level, it may not happen and then I'm stuck where I am for a few more months, but I want to believe bros.
Sounds like my dream job!!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah man, your's and mine. I was in shock. There has to be a catch. This doesn't happen.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Just be ready for it to happen, just don't over commit on the hope :/. speaking from experience it sucks to get hopes dashed.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
man i was wishing trump was going to drain the "defense contractor" swamp which is an enormous parasitic leech on the US public

i've never met a group of people less qualified and educated to be earning the income they do, fucking hundreds of thousands for watching ISR which any E-3 can do for pennies

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
man i was wishing trump was going to drain the "defense contractor" swamp which is an enormous parasitic leech on the US public

i've never met a group of people less qualified and educated to be earning the income they do
???

You mean the people who do the work of the GS swamp?

• 1Like

Swagdaddy

???

i mean the 23 year old couple who were discharged as e-4s in the intel command and were making six figures for 4 months work of sitting in a SCIF and organizing ISR into powerpoints for 60 year old generals

Swagdaddy

???

I cant even adress the GS swamp, it's too infuriating to even mentally revisit

people who literally refuse to work

• 1Like

Swagdaddy

GS swamp triggering me hard, having flashbacks of completely useless DEERS employees who only have a job because they are some SGM's wife with a fucking 7th grade education and they are in charge of my finances

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes, but if they can hire a person for 1/3 of my base, hire three of them, and have them combined sell what I sell, but combined earn less commission that I would....they apparently will.

It's short sighted and ignorant approach and what happens when your new vice presdent has zero experience in sales.

Basically, I operate within this rule: Everyone is replaceable. The question is, how much is it really going to cost to replace you?

It's not just commission, it's hiring, training, replacement, relationships with clients, corporate/product knowledge, benefits and payroll taxes, risk, etc.

Swagdaddy

Basically, I operate within this rule: Everyone is replaceable. The question is, how much is it really going to cost to replace you?

It's not just commission, it's hiring, training, replacement, relationships with clients, corporate/product knowledge, benefits and payroll taxes, risk, etc.

My latest job I've been working on a quota and I really, really prefer it for this reason

Performance is extremely measurable and tangible

You can do the math of what they are paying you opposed to what they are making off of you down to nearly the dollar and compare it to your coworkers for a great idea of who is doing what

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well tonight confirmed that I'm outta there in a month so I'll collect on what I can while I can in the mean time.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Just be ready for it to happen, just don't over commit on the hope :/. speaking from experience it sucks to get hopes dashed.
Yeah, I already had an exit strategy for this current place, so I'm keeping this in mind that if this doesn't work out then I will be fine. Better than fine, really. Tempting to just get excited. We will see tomorrow.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Question:

My job letter says "you are entitled to receive a percentage of your earnings in lieu of benefits... This payment will be included in your bi-weekly paycheck" and goes on to say "13% of earnings in lieu of benefits."

I wasn't expecting benefits since it's contract, and it doesn't matter because 1. Canada, and 2. I'm on wife's plan which is high end.

So does that mean I'll get my hourly pay plus 13%?

I've been salary pretty much all my professional life, so this contract hourly stuff is all new to me.

Used to be fairly common in the past until just recently with Obamacare and such at least in our industry. The entire time growing up my dad only did contract work and got insurance thru a company he did a lot of work for (from 1970 to 1985), he got reduced pay for that but it wasn't much of a cut. I got my insurance for a few years thru a company I did a lot of work on contract for in the early 90's. It was always understood that it was kind of like a retainer, if they asked for anything they went to the head of the line in exchange for the insurance.

As far as I know this no longer takes place.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
My current job rolled out a new commission structure this morning. I was tld to come in early for a meeting that would discuss it (I live 90min away so this involved me waking up at 4:30 this morning to get here in time)

I get to the office and am told I can't attend and I would be sat down after.

So I'm already a bit salty since the time we finally sat down was my normal start time.

Anyway, I get told the new commission structure is being used to motivate those who are mediocre at what they do, when then is stressed that I am not in the group. I'm told under the new structure I would "blow it up" and that they wouldn't be able to afford that. I am then given the option of being capped at half of the new commission structure (because no one else I work with will come close to hitting it, they aren't worried about them. They just put those numbers up as a driving factor), or I can take a 20% pay decrease and be allowed to hit the cap...which would cause me to come close to breaking even with what I do now.

They can tell I'm irritated and then tell me to take some time to think about it.

I'm thinking of a lot of things at the moment, taking either one of their offers isn't among them.

One thing people hate is having their pay plans changed. When you are the boss, you have to expect they'll quit.

Remember, a good salesman never goes unemployed. Most successful people know intrinsically what they are worth, and what things around them are worth. When I was outselling my peers by millions and making the same or less than them, I got out and did something where I could get a higher percentage. For me, it was buying my own business.