Lost Ark Online

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So theres this ratio i forget the name for but its a thing that comes up when talking about mmo characteristics when joining a game late. Basically its something that is pitting the skill curve versus the gear curve.

A game like ffxiv, for example, the gear curve is far below the skill curve, which means someone gears up considerably earlier than they learn the various systems, their own class mechanics, and how to interact with other class's mechanics in parties against the hardest fights.

In lost ark, from what I gather the gear curve is far above the skill curve at launch, meaning people know the systems, mechanics and fights first and the gear becomes the bottleneck to moving forward.

So i guess what im asking is, if someone joins late, is there a good time that the game resets the gear curve, that would make it a good spot to jump in (like ffxiv), or is it pretty much a guaranteed slog for gear regardless.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So theres this ratio i forget the name for but its a thing that comes up when talking about mmo characteristics when joining a game late. Basically its something that is pitting the skill curve versus the gear curve.

A game like ffxiv, for example, the gear curve is far below the skill curve, which means someone gears up considerably earlier than they learn the various systems, their own class mechanics, and how to interact with other class's mechanics in parties against the hardest fights.

In lost ark, from what I gather the gear curve is far above the skill curve at launch, meaning people know the systems, mechanics and fights first and the gear becomes the bottleneck to moving forward.

So i guess what im asking is, if someone joins late, is there a good time that the game resets the gear curve, that would make it a good spot to jump in (like ffxiv), or is it pretty much a guaranteed slog for gear regardless.

Once we get caught up to where RU is (or rather "was" months ago) (KR is always a bit ahead) tier 1 and 2 are pretty much skipped and you start at 1302 GS with many ways to get upgrade mats. At this point you're mainly limited by gold, which is hard to come by until you have multiple alts running raids for gold (which is how the game is designed, to incentivize you to swipe).

Unfortunately, with AGS mainly making the decisions, there's no telling how many months it will take before we get to that point.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Last years was better.
I’d be in Changhuan all the time if this was actually implemented. Looks like a hell of a lot better pvp experience, ha!

The VR one is probably just going to make a bunch of people whine when they see it. “Well if they can make that, then they should be able to make arrow key movement work!” Or “Let us zoom in and out like that!”

Although I agree that people should be able to play how they want, think they’ll miss the spirit of the video.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I should be hitting 1385 in the next day or two. I think I'm going to switch my main to be a support, and I wanted to know what's a better class between bard and paladin. It sounds like bard is way more prevalent on Korea, but I'm not entirely sure why.

Anyone that played other versions can weigh in?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Preface this with, I dont play Paladin and I hate my Bard. But this is everything Ive came to understand:

Paladin just seems to be liked more simply because you're beefier, and your buffs have a wide area of effect. Which seems the exact opposite for the Bard. Also, Engravings where the Bard is more powerful, but to get to that point - you have to get a rather high reaching set to get there. The biggest difference "ive heard" between the West and KR is that the buff in HP to mobs has thrown the balance between what the bard brings to the table and what they lack out the window. Unfortunately, their balance isnt leaning a bit too heavily to what they "dont" bring to the table for the vast majority of players.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So I should be hitting 1385 in the next day or two. I think I'm going to switch my main to be a support, and I wanted to know what's a better class between bard and paladin. It sounds like bard is way more prevalent on Korea, but I'm not entirely sure why.

Anyone that played other versions can weigh in?
I think Bard is considered a bit better because a lot of the legion raids have like big mechanics > filler autoattacks where you dump cooldowns > big mechanics kind of rythm, and bard is better for this because they have higher burst buff potential, 3bar song of combat is 15% dmg instead of 10% for blessed aura on paladin, Heavenly Tune is both the 15% dmg but also the 16% attack speed while paladin can't get the speed on their buffs so when you drop both you get a larger burst than paladin. That said paladins are still there a bunch. Their shields are a lot less stupid to use and can be used to remove debuffs while Bard has to "prevent the next debuff" which isn't nearly as reliable and if you need heals Paladins provides them for "free" while Bard basically has to give up damage buffs for her heals. The "second" dmg buff on Paladin is simple to use and has perfect uptime while the Bard is a ball you drop on the ground and hope ppl can stand in it and still hit the boss. Paladin also has a charge and a lower cd dash, which makes him better at dealing with random mechanics than Bard with her only 10s dash option.

Honestly feels more like a play what you want, popularity isn't a super relevant metric especially since one has booba and the other doesn't, so the numbers are gonna be skewed regardless.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I've got 2 more chars to bump into T3 and then I think I'm going into 2 day a week maintenance mode until Lance Master or something gets dropped. Bringing any of these nerds up solely for Argos just doesn't seem worth it when I don't really want to main any of them and I can just keep selling mats until they are worth 1g each.

Screenshot_220401_095954.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hmm been spending a bunch of time just buying gifts from wandering merchants yesterday and it has sped up my predictions for 8ignea tokens by a lot. I think I'll keep at it until monday shop reset to buy the selection boxes and I think I can get the 8 tokens then. I apparently managed to buy 45purple gifts yesterday, I have a char in luterra, a char in anikka, a char in shushire, a char in arthetyne and one in yorn and I just hit all the vendors every respawn almost.

Flipside is my silver isn't going so well but large part of that is I'm also throwing out random gear upgrades on a lot of my alts, got Blade from 1325 to 1340, bard+paladin from 1325 to 1331(will finish next week most likely with books) and sharpshooter from 1310 to 1325, so both my gold and my silver took a fairly big hit. Still over 5m silver though so I'm not at a big risk.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I can see why people dont like Punika. Not a single set of decents tits anywhere.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Any reason to keep your old tier of gear or is there something you can do with it?

You can hone it into your new gear for +1

Game does a piss poor job of informing you of this since they suck a bag of pickled dog dicks. First time I went from T1 to T2 I ended up putting my old gear in the bank not realizing this. Thankfully it wasn't a big setback but tons of shit you learn the hard way in this game..

For instance I could be higher ilvl at the moment but stupidly I made a Argos weapon with shards when I should of done that with my shittier retard tokens instead... ultimatly it doesn't make a big deal but when you understand some of it after the fact is sucks shit through a straw.