Lost Ark Online

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Then they tied your ability to earn gold to labor usually, so you had to use labor pots to even have a chance to earn gold at a reasonable rate.

Could have been even worse. Due to vast amounts of cc fraud and the token duping exploit labor pots were super cheap at launch and for a long time afterward.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I'm a little less worried. The pvp content I want to play is normalized and iirc the highest pve content(hardest) is normalized(Hell modes). So you can pay to get there quicker I guess(which is odd to me, pay to finish a game faster) but in the end the two top content it seems it doesn't matter. I think the one place it could suck is the pvp island, but not sure how required that is, if it all.

Will see. I still had a ton of fun in BDO and AA and such without paying anything more then I would with a sub and the occasional cosmetic. I think the thing that turned me off the most about those two games was downgrading or out right destruction when enhancing. Neither of which I think this game has. Going backwards is never fun.

This is pretty accurate and the amount of misunderstanding relating to Lost Ark in the West is just sad. I've seen countless posts about The Crystalline Aura (which, as Raes said, is essentially worthless. The only really valuable part of that whole thing is the additional 2 Bifrosts and that's just because I'm lazy when it comes to completing dailies). I've played a lot more KR than RU and Smilegate has essentially done everything right to remove anything 'P2W' from the game. Yes, you can whale and progress faster -- which will only be useful in mostly non relevant and trivial content that you'll be able to complete without the whaling anyways (in the example you use of GVG islands where something like this is the most impactful, they actually tie the rewards to participation rather than result for the most part).

Fundamentally, LA has the best class design in an MMO & the combat is spectacular. As a purely F2P player you'll be able to progress and complete all content (including the most challenging) without spending a dime. At that point, it's satisfied all criteria I could ever hope for in terms of having a game to play for months rather than the days/week most current MMOs offer. The fact that someone can whale away to +15 his gear (which will be obsolete come the next content patch!) faster just doesn't bother me at all. This game is also the definition of success in it's main market so we can expect regular updates that continue to be fun. Seems like a pretty easy win and that's before factoring in how devoid of anything interesting the present MMO landscape is.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Could have been even worse. Due to vast amounts of cc fraud and the token duping exploit labor pots were super cheap at launch and for a long time afterward.

Ya, I remember that. They were dirt cheap for a while and I recall buying a fuckload of them for next to nothing.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Last class trailer dropped today. I wonder if this means they'll announce beta/release date at Gamescom this week? Amazon will be there and is talking about New World for sure.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last class trailer dropped today. I wonder if this means they'll announce beta/release date at Gamescom this week? Amazon will be there and is talking about New World for sure.

Hmm maybe. I honestly don't expect anything till after sept 31st. I just don't see them doing anything that takes away possible box sales form New World.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man wtf. I guess I can see if they are trying to bring more classes and later updates? More VO and translations to do.

But confused. That says beta for only 5 days. Nov 4 to the 9th. That's it. So they do that beta for 5 days in early november and then its not released until at least 2 months later, minimum. That seems like a huge gap between a Closed beta and release.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah I don't get why the beta is so short.

At least make it longer to tide people over.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
What a wall of bullshit. This is all about giving Bland World more space.

I dunno what they're talking about with "recent changes to the Korean version." The only major changes to the game were when they launched Season 2, which is what we are getting at launch, just like Japan did. All updates to the game other than that are content (continents and classes). And the more of that you frontload, the less you get to piece out every few months. While I'd love for them to add Scouter or Reaper, waiting another 4+ months is hardly worth it, for me at least.

I wish NcSoft would "Surprise Motherfucker!" and beat them to the punch with a sneaky TL: Origins launch. Teach them not to be so fucking greedy.

Regardless, I think Amazon has really missed the boat by delaying LA. TL will be a direct competitor, and could easily turn out to be a better game. No firm release date yet, but it's supposed to be launching somewhat soon, and it's a global launch, too, and a lot can happen in the next 4-5 months.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Ugh. I really hope this decision wasn't brought about due to New World. I think Amazon is making a massive mistake by throwing their lot in with New World when they have Lost Ark sitting out there as a potential massive cash cow. Lost Ark is a game that has been out for what..4? 5? years and continues to see growth. New World is seeming more and more like a pump and dump style MMO that's fun for a month or two, but then everyone forgets it exists - like Wildstar, Blade and Soul, AION, Archage, etc. etc.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What a wall of bullshit. This is all about giving Bland World more space.

I dunno what they're talking about with "recent changes to the Korean version." The only major changes to the game were when they launched Season 2, which is what we are getting at launch, just like Japan did. All updates to the game other than that are content (continents and classes). And the more of that you frontload, the less you get to piece out every few months. While I'd love for them to add Scouter or Reaper, waiting another 4+ months is hardly worth it, for me at least.

I wish NcSoft would "Surprise Motherfucker!" and beat them to the punch with a sneaky TL: Origins launch. Teach them not to be so fucking greedy.

Regardless, I think Amazon has really missed the boat by delaying LA. TL will be a direct competitor, and could easily turn out to be a better game. No firm release date yet, but it's supposed to be launching somewhat soon, and it's a global launch, too, and a lot can happen in the next 4-5 months.
Didn't ncsoft take a huge hit recently because they messed up on BnS 2 so bad? Made it way too p2w like Lineage. And that TL origins has been in development since friggan 2011.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Didn't ncsoft take a huge hit recently because they messed up on BnS 2 so bad? Made it way too p2w like Lineage. And that TL origins has been in development since friggan 2011.

I only use the term p2w when it involves pvp, otherwise it's pretty meaningless. If we are talking about pay-to-progress, then TL can hardly be any worse in that regard than Lost Ark.

And, yeah, it's been in development for like a decade, and would have been out by now, but after LA launched, and some focus testing they decided to make some major changes. Lineage is pretty much their flagship IP, so I guess they want to get it right. Regardless, it's going to launch someday, and it's quite possible that it will be before Amazon finally shits out their version of LA. If they are in the final stretch 4-5 months is plenty of time for an announcement, couple of beta events and launch.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ugh. I really hope this decision wasn't brought about due to New World. I think Amazon is making a massive mistake by throwing their lot in with New World when they have Lost Ark sitting out there as a potential massive cash cow. Lost Ark is a game that has been out for what..4? 5? years and continues to see growth. New World is seeming more and more like a pump and dump style MMO that's fun for a month or two, but then everyone forgets it exists - like Wildstar, Blade and Soul, AION, Archage, etc. etc.
To be fair, they don't really "throw their lot" with anything, it's just kinda stupid to release 2 mmos close to each other, even if they weren't ran by the same company. It'll just make more money to delay them, and since they control both release dates, it makes even more sense to do so(and new world has been delayed 25times already, while Lost Ark is like 4years late anyway so 4-6months more probably won't matter that much). They could delay it less, but with Endwalker launching end of november, that window is basically pretty dead, you'd be pretty stupid launching it at the same time especially with the recent boost in popularity FFXIV got.

Hopefully they patch in some additional stuff with the time they have, like more classes directly at launch, that'd be nice.

Not sure why the beta isn't a bit longer though.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully they patch in some additional stuff with the time they have, like more classes directly at launch, that'd be nice.

Not sure why the beta isn't a bit longer though.

They've already confirmed that they won't be adding any additional content or classes. Source:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Oh so fucking nothing then, good. Oh well, have plenty of games to play until Endwalker and then should last enough time until Lost Ark with more filler games inbetween.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When was that posted? I just don't see how they need an extra 4 months minimum for that. They've had what a year now.

Unless I am missing something in how ports go. Should just be translations, VO and servers to deal with. With at least 4 extra months, they should be able to do every class at least.

Honestly when it comes to VO from foreign games, I'd rather have the original VO and just use subtitles. To me it fits into the game better.

I'm more inclined to go with the majority and its pure trying to distance it from new world.

I love that they still managed to mention founders packs in their delay message with the 5 day beta tease.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Your character doesn't talk. Only VO is during combat, grunts, laughs, Blade and Reaper have a few attacks where they shout a (magic?) word. And I'm pretty sure they don't bother doing new VO for any of that. Also, you don't choose your advanced class til 10, so each archetype shares the same intro quests. Adding another class is just content files, and ability text translation.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Your character doesn't talk. Only VO is during combat, grunts, laughs, Blade and Reaper have a few attacks where they shout a (magic?) word. And I'm pretty sure they don't bother doing new VO for any of that. Also, you don't choose your advanced class til 10, so each archetype shares the same intro quests. Adding another class is just content files, and ability text translation.
VO in the quests? That's what I was assuming was all the work. Having every quest NPC talk is a thing these days. If none of quest NPCs talk, then there should be almost zero VO work.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
VO in the quests? That's what I was assuming was all the work. Having every quest NPC talk is a thing these days. If none of quest NPCs talk, then there should be almost zero VO work.

I was only talking about PCs. Every NPC has VO. Not just quest NPCs, pretty much every NPC you walk by will say something. LA probably has more VO than any other mmo, except maybe Swtor. Was just pointing out that there's no VO related to adding additional advanced classes. The only time a new class has any related VO it's because it's a new base class, like Assassin was, and needs a 1-10 intro. And your class doesn't affect what quests you get, or what quest NPCs say to you.