Lost Ark Online

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its weird to me to try to push faster and catch up to other versions(as much as I want more classes), seems like that is just asking for less money. Who knows, maybe i will get to play lance master on release.

I would think tranlsation is the easiest part, especially as a lot of the work has been done by 3rd parties already. VO though I can see taking quite a while, especially for every language.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1:40 to 4:25

Exactly. Its a damned if you do, damned if you dont situation too. How many are actually doing to listen to every VO and care, majority will skip. But if they didn't do it, you would get people whining all over that they are cheap, lazy or not giving them a full game.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Exactly. Its a damned if you do, damned if you dont situation too. How many are actually doing to listen to every VO and care, majority will skip. But if they didn't do it, you would get people whining all over that they are cheap, lazy or not giving them a full game.

Personally, I think it's a waste of time/money and wish they (and other games) would just translate text and leave the Korean voices. On the other hand, I do like when (quality) voice actors get more work.

Edit: There's the added bonus that you can't really skip voiced quest dialogue. It keeps playing, even after you're out of the dialogue screen. :p

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess for me it depends on the game. For most its a waste of time/money imo, because the story just isnt interesting. Just do some cinematics and be done. But for games where I get involved in the story(like swtor), I love it.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I guess for me it depends on the game. For most its a waste of time/money imo, because the story just isnt interesting. Just do some cinematics and be done. But for games where I get involved in the story(like swtor), I love it.

To be fair, LA's story is pretty decent in comparison to other Korean games. Beatrice (the only "angel" who still has both her wings) sends you on a quest to recover all the shards of the Ark, which are on the various continents, and each continent has its own story that you get involved in during your search. And there are these Lords of the demon realm who are also trying to get them, so they can invade again. And one Lord who's playing his own game, and a demon who tries to be good and live as a human priest for a while. The Payton continent (my personal favorite story/asthetics) is populated by sort of half-demons, and this is where the Assassin class is from. I'm interested enough in it that I'm leaning towards playing in NA just to get a real English translation.

The side quests on the other hand are terrible, boring time wasters. Find the owner of this cat, get my kite out of a tree, cook this meal and serve it, click 5 of these things. But, they have been trimming (removing) quite a bit of them recently.

Playing through the story once isn't too bad, it's just when you want to level up alts that it starts to get painful. KR got an update a while back that allowed you to boost alts with gold instead of real money. And RU had a big announcement of that update back in like September, then two weeks later changed their minds claiming it would aid RMT gold farmers too much, but was more likely because they make too much money selling boosts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Love some ARPGs. How MMO is this? Is it like Diablo where you just join random servers with people or more persistent? I’ll probably buy the cheapest founder pack to check it out next week I’d I don’t see a beta invite before then. Haven’t really been paying attention to it other than gameplay vids now and then.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Love some ARPGs. How MMO is this? Is it like Diablo where you just join random servers with people or more persistent? I’ll probably buy the cheapest founder pack to check it out next week I’d I don’t see a beta invite before then. Haven’t really been paying attention to it other than gameplay vids now and then.
It's a mmo, that plays like an ARPG, not the opposite. It is fully mmo, although due to combat, it's an action mmo(you can actively dodge out of stuff and what not). Has support classes but not the full trinity setup(but from what I've seen you're expected to run one support in every party for raids). Daillies, weeklies, raids, dungeons etc, mmo stuff.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Endgame is pretty much a lobby game. While the world looks great, the zones are kinda small and very...static? At max level you only go back for quick dailies and gathering crafting mats. About 4% of the mobs in a zone are quest objectives, the rest only exist to annoy (interrupt) you while you're gathering. There are no real dungeons at endgame. Just like tiny slices of leveling dungeons that have a few trash mobs and the raid bosses.

There isn't a lot of variety in builds like a typical ARPG, and all the min-maxing theorycrafting has already been done. Supports have some heals, but mostly temp shields that require good timing. Whether you need a support depends on what you're doing and the GS of your group. A lot of the raids and some of the Guardians have dumb one-shot mechanics so support doesn't really help with that. In some activities having a support is just going to slow you down and possibly cause you to fail. Like Guardians raids, your group has 4 shared rezzes allowed, and a 20 minute timer. Knowing the fight and maxing DPS are all that matters. Also, the GS requirement to enter them doesn't seem to mean much. Guardians have no health bar, and you get to see the % of it has left if you fail. I've been in groups that beat on one for like 15+ minutes and not even gotten the boss down to 70%. If most of the people in your group are near the entry level GS, and one is a bard, failure is likely.

Part of that is due to the hidden AP gates. People have been complaining about it for a while, and I don't know if they have/will get rid of that, since I haven't been doing that content for a while now.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
It's a mmo, that plays like an ARPG, not the opposite. It is fully mmo, although due to combat, it's an action mmo(you can actively dodge out of stuff and what not). Has support classes but not the full trinity setup(but from what I've seen you're expected to run one support in every party for raids). Daillies, weeklies, raids, dungeons etc, mmo stuff.

Pretty much this. This is a full fledged MMO (and easily the most complete we've seen in a long time) that has ARPG elements rather than the other way around.

With the news that they're going to launch with 70 islands, it's going to be interesting to figure out which to prioritize, especially at first. Slime / Golden Wave / Estella / Mushroom / Fortuna seems like what most will go for, with the thought process of avoiding ones that will become more frustrating to get as a result of PVP / RNG when more people will be able to access them. Also going to be interesting to figure out whether to jump straight into chaos dungeons or keep pushing for the free Shushire set on launch, albeit I suspect that's going to vary based on how much time will be available before reset on the first play through. It's part of what makes makes the MMO launch period so much fun though!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Pretty much this. This is a full fledged MMO (and easily the most complete we've seen in a long time) that has ARPG elements rather than the other way around.

Got that impression immediately just from an old trailer video. Had WoW launch-era feeling to it in terms of the world offering and the magic.

I can't name any MMO that launched with any type of feeling in a while. TESO was maybe the last? If you waited for the Dark Brotherhood patch. But to my point, take Albion Online. That was one cold carcass...most MMO's over the last decade released stillborn. Completely lifeless-- just emulating an attempt at creating something.

Lost Ark is just different.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
How does Gunlancer rank in terms of endgame?

While classes tend to be slightly OP when first released, and some classes are more popular than others, all are equally viable. It's more a matter of finding the playstyle you like. Popularity isn't a great metric either, since switching mains or getting a second class up to the power level of your main can be costly.

• 1Like

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
How does Gunlancer rank in terms of endgame?

Gunlancer is going to be a rather interesting class for LA in my opinion, specifically because I get the sense that a lot of people will roll it by virtue of thinking it's a tank class in the standard MMO sense (it's not) and be incredibly disappointed / frustrated as a result. Provided you understand that you'll ultimately be playing a DPS class that brings some added utility (e.g. the taunt will be used to disrupt patterns rather than as a traditional tanking mechanic) it's not a bad class by any means. Fundamentally, there really isn't any class that won't be viable to be played at end game; your goal is to figure out which you actually enjoy playing though. In the example of Gunlancer, being the only class where the dodge is a backwards leap rather than a frontal dash, well, that can be quite off-putting for some people.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Gunlancer is going to be a rather interesting class for LA in my opinion, specifically because I get the sense that a lot of people will roll it by virtue of thinking it's a tank class in the standard MMO sense (it's not) and be incredibly disappointed / frustrated as a result. Provided you understand that you'll ultimately be playing a DPS class that brings some added utility (e.g. the taunt will be used to disrupt patterns rather than as a traditional tanking mechanic) it's not a bad class by any means. Fundamentally, there really isn't any class that won't be viable to be played at end game; your goal is to figure out which you actually enjoy playing though. In the example of Gunlancer, being the only class where the dodge is a backwards leap rather than a frontal dash, well, that can be quite off-putting for some people.

What would be a tank class?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So should we be expecting a release date announcement soon now that New World is a colossal clusterfuck and the population is cratering?

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
What would be a tank class?
There really isn't any; while Paladin / Bard fall under the more traditional support classification encounters are designed around personal responsibility.

So should we be expecting a release date announcement soon now that New World is a colossal clusterfuck and the population is cratering?

I doubt we'll hear more than the already provided Q1 2022 until after Endwalker is released and has had the first week or so to die down (although a pleasant surprise here would be welcome!). With the cadence of the push back to give NW breathing room, they're almost assuredly waiting for FF to hit the lull in content where everyone has had a chance to experience it and complete most of what they want. FF already encourages you to take a break between content cycles, it just makes sense to launch during such a period and announce to try and rack in those holiday sales.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Popularity isn't a great metric either, since switching mains or getting a second class up to the power level of your main can be costly.
Yeah, Korean MMOs shift the meta a LOT. Just because your favorite class might "suck" today, doesn't mean it won't be FOTM in 3 months time. If you like something in a Korean MMO, stick with it.

I really hate that Korean MMOs make it so goddamned difficult to have alts. BDO had the same issue, that they sooorta solved, but it only allowed you to "copy" your gear on 1 additional char.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
There really isn't any; while Paladin / Bard fall under the more traditional support classification encounters are designed around personal responsibility.

I doubt we'll hear more than the already provided Q1 2022 until after Endwalker is released and has had the first week or so to die down (although a pleasant surprise here would be welcome!). With the cadence of the push back to give NW breathing room, they're almost assuredly waiting for FF to hit the lull in content where everyone has had a chance to experience it and complete most of what they want. FF already encourages you to take a break between content cycles, it just makes sense to launch during such a period and announce to try and rack in those holiday sales.

Another silly question. Does any class have a lot less dodging, and can eat damage?