Lost Ark Online

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Another silly question. Does any class have a lot less dodging, and can eat damage?

I don't think it's a silly question at all - LA is a different beast than what most people are accustomed to and there's bound to be a lot of questions as a result. Kirun's post is a pretty good example of that - the status quo of Asian MMOs is that class balance shifts drastically every patch and that you run into 'FOTM' classes that get buffed/nerfed to oblivion. LA isn't quite like that although obviously nerfs/buffs do occur. As an example of how different it is, alts are encouraged and used quite commonly as a source of feeding your main (most people would recommend a minimum of 2-3 alts). With that being said, I suspect the Western audience will take a more traditional approach and focus more on one character. Based on that, the honest 'best way' to pick a class is going to be trying them out during beta and going with what you find most comfortable/fun. You won't be gimped at endgame by any means and shouldn't feel the pressure of picking the 'wrong' class that won't be invited to end game content. Instead, you're looking to pick what feels 'right' for you and groups will come as a result.

As it relates to a more direct way to answer your question, the plate classes (Gunlancer / Berserker) take more 'regular' damage than others and have more sustain through shields for that type of stuff. With that being said, you'll still be dodging quite a bit regardless and subject to the main dodge mechanics that everyone else is. YMMV but I like Saint's guide relating to how the classes work (Link) even if he still hasn't updated it for some classes.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, Korean MMOs shift the meta a LOT. Just because your favorite class might "suck" today, doesn't mean it won't be FOTM in 3 months time. If you like something in a Korean MMO, stick with it.

I really hate that Korean MMOs make it so goddamned difficult to have alts. BDO had the same issue, that they sooorta solved, but it only allowed you to "copy" your gear on 1 additional char.

Lost Ark doesn't really have a meta. It's just that classes play so differently, and a new class can come out that you like playing way better than your current main. For instance, when RU launched, of the classes available, I liked Devil Hunter most. Later on Blade was released and I liked that better, but kept my DH close behind it. Then came Scout and Reaper, which I like more and feel were designed better (not more powerful or anything). Now, DH and Blade are pretty much benched. I was able to avoid the usual cost of this because I don't play consistently, I take long breaks and come back and use the catchup mechanic, and then focus using my gold on my main, but never push them to max GS.

The only FOTM stuff happens when a new class is released and is a bit OP until the next balance patch, but this only really affects arena PVP, and it's easy to take advantage of because the Arena is normalized, so all you have to do is get to 50. Still, it's not any kind of instant win. Experience in pvp (and with your class) counts for a lot.

I do agree about the difficulty of having alts, at least at the same GS as your main. And forget having alts on a different server. There's so much account wide shit that takes months/years, tons of gold/hours of time to acquire and none of it carries over. The main reason why I am not looking forward to starting over in NA.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Lost Ark doesn't really have a meta.
So, you can do raids in Lost Ark with random classes just as easily as stacking X of the "best" DPS classes? I'm betting it has a meta, all multiplayer games do.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So, you can do raids in Lost Ark with random classes just as easily as stacking X of the "best" DPS classes? I'm betting it has a meta, all multiplayer games do.

There's some where you want to have a (well played) support class or two, but there's no "best" dps classes. What matters is your GS, Engravings and # of skill points. Plus having some skill, and knowing the fight.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
There's some where you want to have a (well played) support class or two.
So there is a meta, it just sounds like it's reduced in comparison to most other MMOs. Interdasting..

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So there is a meta, it just sounds like it's reduced in comparison to most other MMOs. Interdasting..

Having a support class to shield the group at the right moments is hardly a meta. That's their purpose. When you're playing the game the way it's designed, that's not "meta".

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ya. Just read the guide by Sainteone. Definitely playing Gunlance. Going to look at some vids later.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Ok, need to clarify something. It's hard to explain things about this game since the devs never met a game system they didn't like, so there are tons of them, some which are interconnected with others and you can't really explain one without the others. ( It's design bloat, but the game and UI are so polished that it's not as bad as it could be.) And I try to keep my posts short and not write out 3 page essays.

While there is no "class meta" there is a meta in the game. Engravings. I can't stress enough how important they are. Much more important than gear score. Having everyone in a group with say max ranked (rank 3) Cursed Doll (+16% attack power) and max Spirit Absorption (+15% movespeed and attack speed) is a huge difference than a group with none, or like rank 1 (3% of each).

Engraving are randomly rolled on jewelry and ability stones, and you used to go to an npc and pay silver to have 2 from your library of collected engravings put on your rings. They recently changed this to just be a UI element on your character sheet, which is a great improvement. Jewelry and ability stones also roll a random amount of a random negative attribute (few % less AP, or defense, or move speed etc), but if you keep each one below 5 (minimum for rank 1) it has no effect. Ability stones are a little different, but the end result is basically the same.

To collect engravings for your library (shared with your alts, except for each class has two class specific engravings) you need Seal Books. 20 per level. (each level lets you engrave 3 "rank" points, each rank requires 5 points to activate, there's like 4 or 5 levels now, but I think NA will only launch with 3?) These are random rare drops from raids/guardians, (in a group you bid gold for them after the boss dies), or you can buy them off the AH. Plus you often get event rewards that let you choose a certain number of the ones you want, and some (choosable) ones come from things like affinity rewards.

There are dozens of them, some are pretty useless, some are situational. But, there are clear "best" ones that everyone wants and these get really expensive. The "meta." And with the total number there are, and daily/weekly raid limits, impossible to just farm for yourself. Also they recently added like 10 or so and I haven't really looked into how they may have changed the current meta.

tldr: Actual meta comes from Engravings, not classes.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah to me the game really comes down to finding “your class” and going ham on that specific class. Basically finding one you enjoy as really aside from the support classes everything seems viable. Just wish they’d hurry up and shore up a release date. I’m fiendin and don’t particularly want to jump back on RU

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Ok, need to clarify something. It's hard to explain things about this game since the devs never met a game system they didn't like, so there are tons of them, some which are interconnected with others and you can't really explain one without the others. ( It's design bloat, but the game and UI are so polished that it's not as bad as it could be.) And I try to keep my posts short and not write out 3 page essays.

While there is no "class meta" there is a meta in the game. Engravings. I can't stress enough how important they are. Much more important than gear score. Having everyone in a group with say max ranked (rank 3) Cursed Doll (+16% attack power) and max Spirit Absorption (+15% movespeed and attack speed) is a huge difference than a group with none, or like rank 1 (3% of each).

Engraving are randomly rolled on jewelry and ability stones, and you used to go to an npc and pay silver to have 2 from your library of collected engravings put on your rings. They recently changed this to just be a UI element on your character sheet, which is a great improvement. Jewelry and ability stones also roll a random amount of a random negative attribute (few % less AP, or defense, or move speed etc), but if you keep each one below 5 (minimum for rank 1) it has no effect. Ability stones are a little different, but the end result is basically the same.

To collect engravings for your library (shared with your alts, except for each class has two class specific engravings) you need Seal Books. 20 per level. (each level lets you engrave 3 "rank" points, each rank requires 5 points to activate, there's like 4 or 5 levels now, but I think NA will only launch with 3?) These are random rare drops from raids/guardians, (in a group you bid gold for them after the boss dies), or you can buy them off the AH. Plus you often get event rewards that let you choose a certain number of the ones you want, and some (choosable) ones come from things like affinity rewards.

There are dozens of them, some are pretty useless, some are situational. But, there are clear "best" ones that everyone wants and these get really expensive. The "meta." And with the total number there are, and daily/weekly raid limits, impossible to just farm for yourself. Also they recently added like 10 or so and I haven't really looked into how they may have changed the current meta.

tldr: Actual meta comes from Engravings, not classes.
Makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I knew there had to be some sort of "meta".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Ya. I'm all in!

Just keep in mind that Chaos dungeons are designed to be cleared 2x a day and are solo activities that are ultimately all about mobbing up groups and clearing them out as fast as possible. It's a daily activity that begins once you hit 50 and will last literally forever and is largely impossible to fail (I can't recall the last time I even had to use a pot during a clear).

Makes sense, thanks for the clarification. I knew there had to be some sort of "meta".

In so far as the 'meta' is concerned, it would be disingenuous to say that there isn't any at the top (there always is). Most of the first clears of Abrelshud for instance had a lot of rather similar class make-ups, especially while learning the encounter in KR (something that RU obviously never has to deal with, nor will NA). With that being said, as you don't stack classes since buffs can't be overlapped from the same class, you're never stacking 2x of the same class in a group. This opens things up quite a bit -- so your earlier assessment is pretty spot on (there is a meta but it's nowhere near as pronounced as it is in other MMOs) plus engravings.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Things like not stacking classes while doing a first clear aren't "meta." It's just trying to compensate for the fact that the entry level GS is usually set way too low, so you do everything you can to buff your damage. Saying you're "never stacking 2x of the same class in a group" isn't true either. Yeah, sometimes, but unless you're going with a guild group most of your groups are pugs and they take what they can get. And, like you said, most of the stuff that applies to KR doesn't apply anywhere else. There may be somewhat more optimal group setups for starting some content, until you can buff your GS and if you're lacking decent Engravings, but that's rare.

Additionally, NA is launching with content up to Yorn as far as we know. When KR and RU were at the same place they didn't have Blade, Demonic, HK, Gunslinger or Striker. And they did have Arcana and the Hammer dude. Even if there was some vague "meta" for first clears of those raids, I'm pretty sure it will be different for NA.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Another silly question. Does any class have a lot less dodging, and can eat damage?
I know nothing about Lost Ark really. I found this to be really helpful to go over the classes. He doesn’t ramble too much and does a great job explaining how each class plays.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I know nothing about Lost Ark really. I found this to be really helpful to go over the classes. He doesn’t ramble too much and does a great job explaining how each class plays.

Sywo is great, best YouTube hype man by far

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Closed beta keys available at: Keys for those interested.

Edit: All gone now.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You get in with a Founder's Pack right? Or do I need to get one of those keys?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well those went quick. But I have a feeling they'll release in early December for some reason.