Lost Ark Online

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Grim Dawn seems fun, but I actually prefer some element of "online", if that makes sense? Even though D3 doesn't really involve any real player interaction per se, just the "leaderboards" and such is enough to give a sense of community. I feel like that's missing with Grim Dawn, but maybe I'm wrong?

Last Epoch should be the answer if they ever get online implemented and release the game fully.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
No you're right. That is Grim Dawn's only real shortcoming, but the game is really, really good
Grim Dawn has a burnout problem, for me at least. I always burn out about half way through the second difficulty. More expansions make it even harder to plow through. Part of it is age, my attention span is not what it was even 10 years ago. I went through Titan Quest so many times, but can't do it on Grim Dawn.

PoE is still the undisputed ARPG king (and I have probably every ARPG made). And it is suffering from horrible bloat and design change problems.

I had the same misunderstanding of Lost Ark as Kirun but refunded it in about an hour. I was reprimanded by this thread with a "we all knew it was an MMO all along, you stupid".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Last Epoch should be the answer if they ever get online implemented and release the game fully.
Last Epoch wants to be PoE so bad. It is still missing something and I wish I could put my finger on it. The flow? The combat? Not sure, but it is close but not quite still imo. I backed it on Kickstarter way way back, so I still have hope!!!!!!

Nola

Trakanon Raider
So let me get this correct. I hit level 50 and I been doing chaos runs. So I got a set of gear and weapon drop on my first two runs. I’ve been upgrading my gear and I’m currently at 480 ilvl (rank 4) which is high enough to go into the 3rd difficulty level. So I’m in the city of Bern and I noticed in the chaos dungeon que there are different difficulties according to which city your currently trying to que from? If that is correct will I continue to upgrade my initial gear or when I will get a new set? How does this system exactly work?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
So let me get this correct. I hit level 50 and I been doing chaos runs. So I got a set of gear and weapon drop on my first two runs. I’ve been upgrading my gear and I’m currently at 480 ilvl (rank 4) which is high enough to go into the 3rd difficulty level. So I’m in the city of Bern and I noticed in the chaos dungeon que there are different difficulties according to which city your currently trying to que from? If that is correct will I continue to upgrade my initial gear or when I will get a new set? How does this system exactly work?

Each set of Chaos Dungeons corresponds to a continent. You can go up the Bern ones as you reach the necessary gear score, but you can't move on to the next set until you do the last quest of the Rohendel continent. When all your gear is at least average +15 you can get the next set, and you use your current gear to upgrade the new gear straight to +6. That's for same tier. Upgrading to a new tier only gets you to +3 from conversion.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Grim Dawn has a burnout problem, for me at least. I always burn out about half way through the second difficulty. More expansions make it even harder to plow through. Part of it is age, my attention span is not what it was even 10 years ago. I went through Titan Quest so many times, but can't do it on Grim Dawn.
You have to skip malmouth expansion, or just main quest/run right through that whole thing. That expansion added the burnout factor to the game, it’s too long and too much of the same thing.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

PoE is still the undisputed ARPG king (and I have probably every ARPG made). And it is suffering from horrible bloat and design change problems.

I had the same misunderstanding of Lost Ark as Kirun but refunded it in about an hour. I was reprimanded by this thread with a "we all knew it was an MMO all along, you stupid".
I think a lot of that was saying - "the game is free". Like, I get a lot of the people in here don't actually want an MMO with ARPG combat (though I'd argue until I'm blue in the face the combat here is far ahead of any current ARPG), but the game is fucking free. Zero dollars. I suspect almost everyone that has posted in this thread at some point will jump in. The game at 50 is entirely different than the shitty leveling/half assed story to 50 shows you, and the strengths of this game (the combat being #1, some of the boss encounters and dungeons being #2) are hard to see until 50. You get a taste of some great dungeons leveling up, but they are too spread out. The leveling process is too quest heavy (questing is only way to lvl) and way WAY too much downtime between combat. Blowing up hundreds of mobs with your build is the best part of the game and they do a really shitty job of introducing that you on the road to max level. I fired up Last Epoch again last night hoping they'd fixed the crappy animations and unless I'm missing something they look exactly the same to me as they did last year.... Going from a level 50 Lancemaster in this to Last Epoch, the combat experience is... jarring.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

You have to go to the Rohendel continent it looks like to get the next tier. To get to the new continent you need to have 4/7 ark pieces, and the required ilvl, AND complete that quest to get your ship upgraded. It's a pain. If you try to go there without these reqs, you literally hit a barrier. Nor can you plot a course.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
You have to go to the Rohendel continent it looks like to get the next tier. To get to the new continent you need to have 4/7 ark pieces, and the required ilvl, AND complete that quest to get your ship upgraded. It's a pain. If you try to go there without these reqs, you literally hit a barrier. Nor can you plot a course.

People used to ignore the new continents (because you get nothing for doing them, except a pitiful handful of upgrade mats and silver), which is why Smilegate decided to gate everything to completion of each continents final main story quest. At least now, with max level being 60 the xp helps. Although Rohendel and Yorn don't give all that much. Luckily, each only takes like 2-3 hours, but that still sucks when you have to do it on every character. KR lets you pay a few hundred gold for alts to skip that shit now (and boost to 50), but RU opted out. Still wondering if NA/EU will be allowed to have it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The KR prices looked really stupid for these though. Iirc it was like 800g to skip the 1-50 stuff, but like 1400-2000g for each step after that, which means you'd be spending a stupid amount of gold for an hour or two or questing every char. The 1-50 is well worth it since it takes longer and is much cheaper, but after that it didn't look worth it at all unless you just want to burn gold for whatever reason.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The KR prices looked really stupid for these though. Iirc it was like 800g to skip the 1-50 stuff, but like 1400-2000g for each step after that, which means you'd be spending a stupid amount of gold for an hour or two or questing every char. The 1-50 is well worth it since it takes longer and is much cheaper, but after that it didn't look worth it at all unless you just want to burn gold for whatever reason.
The prices I saw were much lower than that. Like 400-800 range. And we're talking gold at tier 3. Having one extra alt doing tier 3 raids every week would pay for itself quickly. But, yeah, like you said, it's the 1-50 that really matters. The prices I saw might have been a preview of RU, before they decided to fuck us. In KR it's 600/1000/1400/1600/2400, which ain't bad. Wouldn't bother me paying like 3k to skip half of em. I spend more than that on a single costume piece sometimes.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Around 4mins in this video you can see the system, I saw some guy on twitch show the same thing a few days ago so I don't think prices changed. One big issue is you can't buy the upgrade until you have the right ilvl, for Rohendel you need 460, for Yorn 600, for whatever the 3rd is 960 and for Papunika 1100. And the previous step drops you at min ilvl(so 1-50 gives you 302), which means you have to waste mats upgrading your way too before you can buy the boost, which seems pretty shit because I assume the MSQ gives you a set of gear like you get 302 for Shushire? But I haven't done past that so maybe I'm wrong on that. So looks pretty meh, other than 1-50 which is a great deal.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Around 4mins in this video you can see the system, I saw some guy on twitch show the same thing a few days ago so I don't think prices changed. One big issue is you can't buy the upgrade until you have the right ilvl, for Rohendel you need 460, for Yorn 600, for whatever the 3rd is 960 and for Papunika 1100. And the previous step drops you at min ilvl(so 1-50 gives you 302), which means you have to waste mats upgrading your way too before you can buy the boost, which seems pretty shit because I assume the MSQ gives you a set of gear like you get 302 for Shushire? But I haven't done past that so maybe I'm wrong on that. So looks pretty meh, other than 1-50 which is a great deal.

Right, but in RU/KR the catchup mechanic gets you to 1302, so those GS gaps aren't a big deal. Plus, have to remember that there are weird jumps in GS for some stupid reason, so those gaps aren't as big as they seem.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Two fights that SUCK as Gunlancer. The 50th floor boss in the tower. The Chaos dungeon Lion boss that you need to run into the dust cloud for the immunity to his wipe skill. Both because not having a dash or roll suck!!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Looks like there might be an outside shot we get Sorceress either at launch or soon after - pretty stoked with that as I really like the look of her kit and have never played her (not even sure when she's coming out in RU). Pretty smart actually to have her at release, Western audiences I think will flock to a more "traditional looking" Mage type (though from what I've seen, she's not really a typical "mage" in the sense I think people are expecting). Will definitely roll one as my first or second toon.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Looks like there might be an outside shot we get Sorceress either at launch or soon after - pretty stoked with that as I really like the look of her kit and have never played her (not even sure when she's coming out in RU). Pretty smart actually to have her at release, Western audiences I think will flock to a more "traditional looking" Mage type (though from what I've seen, she's not really a typical "mage" in the sense I think people are expecting). Will definitely roll one as my first or second toon.

WTF wan't the hammer guy in beta. Damn the class is fun!

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
WTF wan't the hammer guy in beta. Damn the class is fun!
Yeah I've got a destroyer at 50, I really enjoy the slower methodical playstyle but I've seen some stuff lately that points to Smilegate doing a small re-work of both Arcana and Destroyer, hence their absence. Tooling around on RU some more and hot damn is Lancemaster fun and flashy - can see why they'd be "saving" that class (with Scouter/Reaper) for later patches. Good carrots to have.

Raes

Vyemm Raider

Sorc should be out in RU on Dec 22nd.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah that's what I read about sorc RU. As for the EU/NA one, apparently it's over in the website files and what not, they already have the icons and names and shit in the source code of the website, even though they have no other class in there. There was a "slip up" last week too where an official poll or whatever had Sorc listed, although it didn't have Summoner listed so people just assumed it was a mistake but the fact it's in the files already means it'd likely be at release as a "surprise" or really soon after release. Makes sense too, since there's no "traditional" caster in the current lineup and Sorc covers that nicely.

I'm personally more interested in Arcana, but yeah she's apparently getting a rework, so I could see them patching it up later instead, and directly with the rework. Some other korean devs have done stuff like that, asynchronous releases to favor new markets and stuff.

I do hope they provide some sort of roadmap for their patching plans though before release, like even if it's a rough one, to see what their plans are for T1 > T2 > T3 progression and stuff.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Looks like they're putting Sorceress in the lineup and swapping out the Summoner. Awesome for those that wanted sorcs but weird to take away a class that people may have been planning to main.