Lost Ark Online

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Tone is difficult to convey through text, so I dont mean this harshly.

But you went from saying the game sucks and is boring and you dont plan to play NA launch, to now stating you are playing and will have more alts than most.

Whar changed your mind?

I have nothing better to do? Launches are fun, and I enjoy helping people out by answering questions. Which is part of the reason I tend to play these games before they are widely available. I did the same with Archeage Alpha and playing KR BDO.

The biggest reason though, is having Knowledge Transfer in at launch. Only having to grind to 50 on one character per server/account is huge. And I'm not in any kind of rush. Leveling to 50 requires zero thought and I can do it while watching tv. I will eventually have a bunch of alts on either other servers or other accounts, but that will be a gradual process over several weeks, and most of those alts will be auto-leveled on my estates.

Lastly, I never said the "game sucks and is boring." I occasionally drop in my opinions on certain aspects of the game that I am not happy with and feel could be improved. Just as often I point out what I like and feel the game gets right. In other words, stop hyperbole-ing.

TLDR: Blame Voldeth Voldeth .

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Who doesn't like a good old fashioned spreadsheet: Path to the legion

Would certainly not use it for the average player but for anyone looking to get a sense of 'things to do' this can help a bit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The Direct X update that US servers from what I gathered following along the conversation.

It's more the 1-2 punch of Knowledge transfer and DX11 when I was already on the fence. It's pretty much "fuuuuuuck...I might as well, godammit." There's a lot of shit that I'm not looking forward to repeating, but on the flipside, my entire time on RU has been completely solo. Being able to play with competent-if-crotchety fucks from FoH should ease that pain a bit.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Nola

Trakanon Raider
With the knowledge transfer at launch and it being the NA/EU launch it’s going to take me longer to reach to 50. When I played on the Russian sever I only did the main quests and spacebared through the quest dialogue. Even though I had the translator I didn’t read any of the quests or watched the cut scenes unless I was forced to. Of course I know what’s sorta going on in the storyline but it will almost kind of new to me to some extent. So I plan on doing everything on my paladin and then using knowledge transfer to level any alts.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
We should be able to boost multiple characters (I think in KR its 12) to 50 after leveling just 1 character manually. It's the boosts after that for other continents that require you to manually level more characters to unlock more boosts.
  • There are scaling requirements (for example, the first boost to Rohendel requires one character to have completed the content, but the second boost requires three)

Maybe im just misinterpreting it the wrong way.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Hey Raes, you mentioned you had a bunch of appearance change tickets built up.. does that do what it sounds like? I always end up with a list of like 10 names I'm hoping to get AND I can also spend an hour making each character... which stresses me out the entire time that someone is taking my name, lol. Would it be easy to just spam create default chars to hopefully snag a couple of the names I want, and then just use tickets to actually recreate my char the way I want it?

Yes, I know this is stupid, but someone needs to be Sephiroth right?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Hey Raes, you mentioned you had a bunch of appearance change tickets built up.. does that do what it sounds like? I always end up with a list of like 10 names I'm hoping to get AND I can also spend an hour making each character... which stresses me out the entire time that someone is taking my name, lol. Would it be easy to just spam create default chars to hopefully snag a couple of the names I want, and then just use tickets to actually recreate my char the way I want it?

I was hoping character saves was transferable. There’s a default look you can save and always use that. So I planned on making my character on the RU client then transfer the files to the NA/EU client so I can bypass it and just get to the name hoping to grab it. But it looks like that’s not possible since it may be server side. So my advice just skip the creation part, hoping to grab your name fast enough and pay $8 to recustomize it especially if you’re trying to get a well known name.

Raes

Vyemm Raider

Yeah, appearance change is what it says. They give them away from time to time and I've never had a reason to use one so they just sit there gathering dust, just in case.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
  • There are scaling requirements (for example, the first boost to Rohendel requires one character to have completed the content, but the second boost requires three)

Maybe im just misinterpreting it the wrong way.

The thing is, you really don't want to be boosting past post 50 content that much. Boost give you MSQ and side quests completion, but they don't give you any of the xp. Now, skipping Rohendel and Yorn isn't too big a deal, but anything after that is just throwing away 10's of millions of exp that you need to hit those post 50 levels and get those yummy skill points. 6 per level.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, typically what I have done with other MMO's is reserve whatever names I want as quickly as possible, then, a couple weeks in or whatever - delete that char at 2am or something and quickly recreate. I did do that with the beta to make sure it worked, and it did, but they are now saying that once a name has been taken it will be unavailable after that. They may do name releases in the future, but there are currently no plans for them. So, because it worked in the beta, it may actually be that whatever names you reserve are tied to your account (best case scenario), or it may be that they really are just unavailable if you delete them.

I'll probably just snag whatever names I really want as quickly as possible, and with my last char slot test out naming it "Nametester" or something. I'll then delete it, and try to recreate it. If that works I'll delete it again, have a friend try to take it (in case their company answer is incorrect), and see what happens there.

Best case, I can snag all my names - lock them to my account, then take my time deleting and recreating them before I even play. Worst case, I use some of my founders pack crystals buying appearance tickets I guess.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, so I bought one of the Founders Packs for this a long time ago when they went on sale, I need to see which one. Would like to follow along with you guys but I am in no way rushing this, as I just don't have time. We have a new person on the team for the first time in a year, which hopeful means less 12 hour days but might mean more? Some day I might get to take some time off. I still managed to play a fair amount of New World, regardless.

Edit: A long time ago: *NOVEMBER* :| <sad trombone> I got the Gold Founders pack, which I think I remember reading wasn't really worth it? Now I have reading to do since it starts Monday/Tuesday.

Last edited:

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Depends on where you go, but I've seen literally every pack listed as the best value and worst value. Except platinum which people all say is worth it if you're willing to plunk down the cash.

• 1Like

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Depends on where you go, but I've seen literally every pack listed as the best value and worst value. Except platinum which people all say is worth it if you're willing to plunk down the cash.

Capture.PNG

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I still say Bronze is worthless. The main thing you are paying for is Royal Crystals and it has none. Which is what makes Silver such a shitty price, since it only gives 1k when comparably it should give 2k.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well you're also paying for headstart if you want to play asap, although it has not much actual impact overall as you won't be getting a whole lot the first "week", and you have plenty of time before the second weekly reset to get your shit even if you don't do the headstart, if you play a bunch on the weekend.

Rest of the packs are kinda whatever yeah, Gold has a char slot but that's not necessarily super valuable right away(although I know I'd need one eventually to play random classes) and some costume shit which is nice if you like how it looks(I kinda don't care). Plat has more cosmetics shit and it's really just that you're buying. There's some consumables but it's pretty cheap stuff. They also all come with 1month of "sub" which is nice but since they all do it's not a defining factor. So the big difference in value is how many crystals you get for your money, which is roughly the same as buying crystals directly anyway, and Gold is very good value for that.

4000 crystals is likely to cost 40$, so you're getting everything else for only 10$. The sub itself is likely to be 6-7$, the char slot similar, a costume shit at least 7-8$ and the consumable 3$ or so, so even if you don't care about some of these, you're likely still getting a good deal.

Meanwhile Silver gives 1000crystals only, so you're paying 25$ with 10$ worth of crystals, a 6-7$ sub and a ~3$ pack of consumables and that's it. Which means you're actively paying for the headstart there, similar to bronze. So it's really as if you were buying bronze with sub+headstart, and then buying 1k crystal on top, it'd come out as almost the same, only giving you the consumables for "free" on top. It's very barely over its own value basically, and if you don't make use of the headstart for an advantage(aka you play at least 20hours before the weekly reset on thursday 1AM), then it wouldn't be worth it.

Platinum you're largely spending 50$ on the exclusive costume, the mount, with a few other things(exclusive but weak cards, stronghold decorations, wallpaper, some additional consumables like a single legendary gift, some more silvers, some una completion tickets etc). Mostly you'd need to want the mount and costume for it to be even worth considering, and I think the mount looks like shit personally so it would never be a thing(and the costume looks like crap on my "main" class, although I could use it on Bard). You also "only" get 7k coins instead of 8k(double gold price for double crystals), so you can consider 1k of the crystals were used in buying the mount/costume.

Ultimately it's also a matter of how much money you want to spend and all that. Personally I found Gold to be what I wanted, it's the price of a new game, gives enough crystals to play around the first couple of weeks to buy stuff I might want and comes with side stuff that I actually would have bought anyway(besides consumables, but that's not bad to have anyway). Headstart is also good just for reserving your name, since their naming system is absolute fucking shit, although hopefully someone runs a bot just constantly making characters with the dictionary names and deleting them, so they end up having to change it.

Last edited:

Raes

Vyemm Raider
There's literally no advantage to a 3 day headstart. If someone is going to spend only $15 dollars on the game they'd be 1000x better off just buying RC with that money.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's literally no advantage to a 3 day headstart. If someone is going to spend only $15 dollars on the game they'd be 1000x better off just buying RC with that money.
I did edit a few things, but I'd say there's mostly one big advantage, grabbing your name.

Anyway it seems there was a leak of one page of the cash shop from a streamer posted on reddit
unknown.png

Only a single page but you can get somewhat of an idea of the prices, if you assume 10$ is 1k crystal(which I'd say is safe based on package prices). The sub is around 4.20$ per month(might be a bit less if you convert more crystals at once or if you get a small deal for buying more crystals, but around 4), char slot ticket is 9$, a mount would be 18$ so you can get a rough idea of how much you're getting out of the packs.

These prices look quite steep for a bunch of the stuff, but most of it is fairly optional I guess. The sub honestly seems pretty cheap, I'd have expected it to be twice that, it doesn't provide massive bonuses but still pretty nice qol stuff(additional bifrost teleport, pet access anywhere to stash+pet inventory and 10% to a bunch of shit like stronghold stuff and lifeskill energy and such).

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I saw that on reddit. Same prices as in the preview weekend. 3x the RC cost that RU charges.

The name I usually use is too common so getting it is a matter of luck anyway (Caine). One reason why I prefer games that have a "family" name or account name or surname or whatever so it doesn't matter. Headstart still won't guarantee that you can get your name, if it's a popular one, especially if there are queues. If your name is unique, then it doesn't matter either way. Also, since most group stuff is cross server as well as AH I don't know if names are unique to server or region. If it's region it'll be even harder to get some names.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I saw that on reddit. Same prices as in the preview weekend. 3x the RC cost that RU charges.

The name I usually use is too common so getting it is a matter of luck anyway (Caine). One reason why I prefer games that have a "family" name or account name or surname or whatever so it doesn't matter. Headstart still won't guarantee that you can get your name, if it's a popular one, especially if there are queues. If your name is unique, then it doesn't matter either way. Also, since most group stuff is cross server as well as AH I don't know if names are unique to server or region. If it's region it'll be even harder to get some names.
Pretty sure it's region so yeah it's gonna suck, they said they'll "maybe" change it after launch and offer free rename tickets when they do, but for now it's pretty fucking shit especially no caps in the name.

• 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The whole "headstart for money" scheme is quite disgusting to be honest, I know this is a business and they're not running a charity but it's really them delaying people to play and asking for money to get around the artificial delay they just created. I bought one anyway.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Worf