Lost Ark Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I'll do Regulas as well. I've never played before, so is there a class that's more needed than something else? I'll play whatever is needed, doesn't matter to me.

Welcome aboard as well then! As mentioned, there are two 'support' classes (being bard/paladin) which will traditionally be required more than the other classes as a result. With that being said, especially for the content that's released, there's strictly no requirement for them and playing whatever it is you'll enjoy most is a far better decision -- LA's class design is top notch (albeit many of the classes that I enjoy the most are still not available). Based on that, I'd suggest just reading over https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oci4R6IkwiQoVhGH8IHwFIS33dVS7hQv2Z-sljRrmcE/edit and filtering by classes released in NA to determine what you want to play.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Bah. For some reason I thought this launched next Tuesday and thus this weekend was the head start. I'm off by like a week and a half :(

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Welcome aboard as well then! As mentioned, there are two 'support' classes (being bard/paladin) which will traditionally be required more than the other classes as a result. With that being said, especially for the content that's released, there's strictly no requirement for them and playing whatever it is you'll enjoy most is a far better decision -- LA's class design is top notch (albeit many of the classes that I enjoy the most are still not available). Based on that, I'd suggest just reading over https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oci4R6IkwiQoVhGH8IHwFIS33dVS7hQv2Z-sljRrmcE/edit and filtering by classes released in NA to determine what you want to play.
Great to see the og LA streamers getting so much attention lately - Saintone, Sywo, etc. Sounds like Saint and Kanon are going to be rolling over on NA as well so that should be good

Mur

Trakanon Raider
I will be playing on Voltron: Paladin / Berserker / Gunlancer

Pali.jpg

zerker.jpg

Gunlancer.jpg

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Amazon recently confirmed that Knowledge Transfer will be available for launch. For those that don't know, this is basically using your in game gold to have a character level'd to 50. So for every character you manually level to 50, you get access to the ability to boost an additional one for a negligible gold cost (thus making the process of re-leveling a lot less painful). Surprised that they would include this as I figured selling paid boosts was going to be a huge part of their cash shop income but this is honestly fantastic.

• 3Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah was making a post about it. They also confirmed you will get 12 character boosts for the 1-50 boost with a single manually leveled char. Only the further boosts(rohendel/yorn etc) will require 1 for 1(and maybe 1:1 for 1-50 past the initial 12 that part is unclear, although 12 is plenty anyway), but these are pretty ass, since they require you have the ilvl needed to start the story before you can use them, and the questline are much shorter than 1-50 while the prices for boosting are higher, so only for the super lazy people.

I assume the boosts they'll sell in the shop will skip further(like all the way to T3 and stuff), which will still be valuable since you spend a fair amount of time, materials and silvers upgrading your way through the tiers.

Anyway sounds great for alts. Basically the moment you unlock the system(which is pretty early once you finish the 1-50 shit), if you have some gold on hand(from selling cash shop currency for example), you can boost 2-3chars a day to 50. You'll still have to do a bunch of shit with them to progress them further, but it'll make checking out classes a lot less painful. Guess the plan for Bard alt on day 1 is back in, hell I'll probably get demonic or whatever too while I'm at it, depending on how much gold I can find.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Actual good news, amazing, lol. I was so pissed when RU hyped this up, then a couple weeks later changed their mind and said nope, with their bullshit excuses. This is the one thing that could actually convince me to play in NA. The gold cost is no issue. I too am shocked that AGS would do this instead of forcing people to buy that initial boost. Skipping 1-50 is a big deal. The post-50 continents tend to be pretty short. Rohendel and Yorn drag a bit, but Peyton and Punika can be done pretty quickly, and at least Peyton has a cool story.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Actual good news, amazing, lol. I was so pissed when RU hyped this up, then a couple weeks later changed their mind and said nope, with their bullshit excuses. This is the one thing that could actually convince me to play in NA. The gold cost is no issue. I too am shocked that AGS would do this instead of forcing people to buy that initial boost. Skipping 1-50 is a big deal. The post-50 continents tend to be pretty short. Rohendel and Yorn drag a bit, but Peyton and Punika can be done pretty quickly, and at least Peyton has a cool story.

I figured this one might entice you. Seriously, you're already used to playing with ping. Come play on NA East with us. :)

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I figured this one might entice you. Seriously, you're already used to playing with ping. Come play on NA East with us. :)

I'm leaning towards it. Ping isn't really an issue, I'm in Dallas, so East or West makes no difference, and doing my servers/alt thing for gold would make more sense on East, since West only has 3 for whatever reason. Only worry with that is like a year from now if they have to merge some servers it could screw me a bit. I'm pretty sure I'll at least make a Sorc and mess around. I used a free boost for her on RU, so haven't really had enough practice yet. Just kind of threw together a build for Chaos dungeons and she rapes face.

• 1Like

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Because some of these decisions go against anything I thought of a huge corporation like amazon(giving away easy money).

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Makes me wonder just how much input SG has in some of these decisions as they seem pretty set on establishing themselves and this game with a western audience.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I'd love to be a fly on the wall. Because some of these decisions ago against anything I thought of a huge corporation like amazon(giving away easy money).

The speculation is that this is Smilegate stepping in, which I buy 100%. The two decisions that seems to confirm this to me are;

1- The release of T3 at launch. There does not exist a shape, way or form that AGS would not have viewed a slower cadence of release as being incredibly more profitable, where as Smilegate understands that T3 is when the game 'took off' and would most appeal to the NA audience (raids coming shortly, etc).
2- Knowledge transfer being available. My number one concern is how AGS will fuck up the monetization of the game -- this change is seriously the equivalent of saying, "No, we don't want to print money. We'd rather let people enjoy the game and hopefully make bank long term." I nearly had a heart attack when I read it and went to go see the post confirming it myself since I legitimately thought it was fake.

• 1Like

Cinge

Vyemm Raider
The speculation is that this is Smilegate stepping in, which I buy 100%. The two decisions that seems to confirm this to me are;

1- The release of T3 at launch. There does not exist a shape, way or form that AGS would not have viewed a slower cadence of release as being incredibly more profitable, where as Smilegate understands that T3 is when the game 'took off' and would most appeal to the NA audience (raids coming shortly, etc).
2- Knowledge transfer being available. My number one concern is how AGS will fuck up the monetization of the game -- this change is seriously the equivalent of saying, "No, we don't want to print money. We'd rather let people enjoy the game and hopefully make bank long term." I nearly had a heart attack when I read it and went to go see the post confirming it myself since I legitimately thought it was fake.

The 2nd is pretty huge imo. A 1 to 50 boosts just to get by that initial 10-20 hours and get into the game, would of sold extremely well.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The 2nd is pretty huge imo. A 1 to 50 boosts just to get by that initial 10-20 hours and get into the game, would of sold extremely well.
They said a long time ago there wouldn't be paid boost at launch iirc. Like a few months ago. Boosts at launch is actually a good way to get pretty bad press about P2W and other stuff. 1month later or whatever sure, but right away it means anyone swiping gets a direct advantage right away, for an actually reasonable price(most likely) which wouldn't look good. It's just not a good idea and I can't really think of a mmo that sold boosts on day 1, even shitty managed korean ones.

As I said though I expect they'll still sell boosts later on, and they'll still make money off them. If you can pay say 20-30euros/dollars to get a 1302 char with every story questline cleared, it's likely very worth it in terms of time invested(saves you several days of questing and daillies).

Having 1-50 boosts ingame is likely a better solution for player retention too, and as such more spending overall. People aren't going to buy an infinite number of boosts, but by making it so they get early T1 chars only with the ingame boosts(well without effort), they'll likely grind more mats and more dailies and buy dailies skips or look into converting cash shop stuff for gold to buy currency/accessories/engraving books etc.

Considering New World lack of cash shop stuff though, I'd say Amazon is likely not really looking at maximizing profits anyway, and is more trying to get a success on their hands to then start making money back. They can milk the whales later on just fine, instead of scaring them away.