Lost Ark Online

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yah what are you talking about? They even had an API connection to look at your gear score, achievements, fastest runs, compare you to top 0.01% of players in terms of dps on a boss... Very fun for a website to tell any group I apply to that im garbage compared to some korean player who did 2% more dps than me.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
If you hate having 1 attempt a day and you still refuse to do the alt squad thing or swiperino then take a break and come back during catch up events for when new content is released.

Then quit anyway because you still don't earn enough materials to keep up with the oilers and others who kept playing regularly who are now 1490-1575.

Y'all need to find a way to make peace with it cause it's never, ever, ever changing as it's a chunk of their monetization model and it's been working just fine for them obviously. Or just literally quit and find some other magical MMO to play that provides all these fantastic quality of life desires you have and with high quality content that is sure to keep you playing for years on end :winkeyface:.

Unless you're just bitching to bitch in which case get a jerb <3.

You're not locked out of doing content by not having the trinket drop.

I definitely have played plenty of MMOs that gear/item score gate content and/or required RNG drops to flag etc. This game isn't reinventing shit it's just adjusting previous concepts for better or worse dependent on your point of view.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Also the hits just keep coming baby. 1385 Chaos. Bad RNG can s my d.

smd.png

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Oh you didn't get the correct Legendary to drop for your character in Legion? Well sucks to suck better reroll faggot, until then you're benched.
Unless you're a world first guild that has never happened in any guild ever.

• 1Moron
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's awful. Imagine if instead of just getting a failure on honing after +15, it dropped to +14. So you'd get enough mats to +15 again and then try for +16. Each successive hone becomes more difficult, but also every failure drops one level. It feels terrible.

Worse though is accessories. Instead of having say, rarities of accessories like Lost Ark (green, blue, purple, yellow, orange), each attempt to get the next tier up required two of the same one. If you fail, it blows them both up. So you get a +3 and try for +4 and fail, start from scratch.

It's actually backwards progress. At least here you don't get less powerful if you have bad luck.
Eh, the hate for the BDO system is overblown because people mostly didn't understand how to work with it or didn't have the capital required to do the necessary amount of "blowups". For the vast, vast majority of players it is far, far more efficient to just farm and buy your accessories than it is to attempt your own. You're never going to be able to do the hundreds of combines necessary to come out "ahead" on accessory smashing with the little amount of capital you'd have on month 1 or 2 compared to someone who has built capital over years.

That said, Lost Ark mostly suffers from the fact that it's repeated content. I don't think any of us shy away from "grinds" or games being grindy. Hell, some of us actually LOVE certain grinds (I had a lot of fun farming my infinite pot in BDO, for example, and many people consider that a horrendous grind). The problem with Lost Ark is that those "grinds" have to be repeated not only day in and day out, but across 50 fucking alts. Doing 2x chaos, 2x guardian, Una's etc. is one thing. Having to repeat that shit across 6+ characters? Fucking brutal. And sure, you can save up "rested", but now you're still doing that on a weekly basis. So at least once a week, you're repeating the same fucking content across 5+ characters.

And while I think most of us can stomach "repeated" content, there seems to be a psychological component that gnaws at you when it has to be repeated across alt after alt after alt. I like some of what SG did with the whole "roster" idea, but FF14 STILL has the best "alt" system across all MMOs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
It's fine guys they are turning over a new leaf. To put into our mouth. HEHEHE <_<. Swapped engravings to something more meta gained like 6k atk power. Was super cheap too. <1k for all the jewelry (6k in pheons ofc) and a free stone that cut properly. If I could force myself to buy the lego shock books and get a swap for those two accessories to relic I could get a 5x3 setup, but so far I've not seen shit with the engravings I need for any price and the scrapper books are about double from pre valtan patch.

turninganewleaf.png

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Eh, the hate for the BDO system is overblown because people mostly didn't understand how to work with it or didn't have the capital required to do the necessary amount of "blowups". For the vast, vast majority of players it is far, far more efficient to just farm and buy your accessories than it is to attempt your own. You're never going to be able to do the hundreds of combines necessary to come out "ahead" on accessory smashing with the little amount of capital you'd have on month 1 or 2 compared to someone who has built capital over years.

That said, Lost Ark mostly suffers from the fact that it's repeated content. I don't think any of us shy away from "grinds" or games being grindy. Hell, some of us actually LOVE certain grinds (I had a lot of fun farming my infinite pot in BDO, for example, and many people consider that a horrendous grind). The problem with Lost Ark is that those "grinds" have to be repeated not only day in and day out, but across 50 fucking alts. Doing 2x chaos, 2x guardian, Una's etc. is one thing. Having to repeat that shit across 6+ characters? Fucking brutal. And sure, you can save up "rested", but now you're still doing that on a weekly basis. So at least once a week, you're repeating the same fucking content across 5+ characters.

And while I think most of us can stomach "repeated" content, there seems to be a psychological component that gnaws at you when it has to be repeated across alt after alt after alt. I like some of what SG did with the whole "roster" idea, but FF14 STILL has the best "alt" system across all MMOs.

Some of that stuff is fine some of it is a little daunting and can be overwhelming with enough alts. The key for me was just accepting that I can and should let me alts rested go past full and just fall off if I am not feeling it that day/week. Which at first feels bad because it's designed in a way to make you feel like you are missing out with the time gated style of it.

Grinding chaos is really no different than grinding a Diablo 3 rift key the biggest difference is you aren't limited to 2 fucking rift keys a day.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some of that stuff is fine some of it is a little daunting and can be overwhelming with enough alts. The key for me was just accepting that I can and should let me alts rested go past full and just fall off if I am not feeling it that day/week. Which at first feels bad because it's designed in a way to make you feel like you are missing out with the time gated style of it.

Grinding chaos is really no different than grinding a Diablo 3 rift key the biggest difference is you aren't limited to 2 fucking rift keys a day.

This. I make sure I just dont feel ogbligated to do every activity every day. I am perfectly happy that I will be behind people who literally do everything, every day, on 6 characters. They are putting in the work. But I don't want work, I want a hobby. So I will easily not do chaos or guardians on a character or two if I am not feeling it that day. The minute I start to resent having to do an activity that day, I dont do it. I'd drive myself to quit completely otherwise.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider

It sucks cause we're basically early adopters. In 6 months/year or whatever when all the content is released and catch up mechanics and blah blah the game is going to be so solid for everyone especially when we have multi characters hitting up legion raids etc.

I wish grinding infinite chaos was as fun as diablo grifts though, but there is no challenge at all and I can't bring myself to do it even for some extra mats/chance at sellables.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think this is really it, tbh.

Like I said, I can grind with the best of them and have done PLENTY of harder/long-term "grinds" than anything I've done in Lost Ark. But, I burned the fuck out on Lost Ark LONG before a lot of other games that have "grindy" mechanics. Why is that? I really think there's some psychological factor to knowing you aren't just done with your grind for the day, you have to go repeat it on 20+ alts.

Imagine how different the game would feel if you could just do 10x Chaos per day, across all characters? Similar to 9 Una's. Why is it 3 per char? What if they just limit it to 9, period. Same with Abyss. Why is it limited to 6x, 1 per char/week? Imagine how different it'd feel if you could just do it 6x period. Do it on 1 char, 3 chars, 6 chars, whatever. The game literally FORCING alts is where it seems to feel more cumbersome and "chorelike" than your typical MMO grind IMO.

• 1Like

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would love a hard cap roster wide on the daily activities. Hell, they could even make the cap based on how many toons you have in that tier or above and it would make me happy. That way you’d have to put in a bit of work to get extra runs every day, but at least I wouldn’t have to character switch so many times for every activity.

Last edited:

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly, just give more games that adopts FFXIV class system. Let me put it all on 1 character. From crafting, to classes. I can put it all under 1 name, my guilds can hold more without worrying about alts. Easier to track friends when they want to play something else. All my cosmetics and purchases in 1 place(can even keep the cosmetics class restricted). Just a much smoother system imo.

They would take a hit on some sales(character slots) and build the game to be able to level again on the same character in a quest bases system, but should be able to be done.

Might be a minority opinion, but I would like it.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, just give more games that adopts FFXIV class system. Let me put it all on 1 character. From crafting, to classes. I can put it all under 1 name, my guilds can hold more without worrying about alts. Easier to track friends when they want to play something else. All my cosmetics and purchases in 1 place(can even keep the cosmetics class restricted). Just a much smoother system imo.

They would take a hit on some sales(character slots) and build the game to be able to level again on the same character in a quest bases system, but should be able to be done.

There are many reasons to hate on FF14, but the way they handle "alts" is best in slot, period.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Need a new gaming company that adopts the old Blizzard model of steal the best ideas from everyone and put them together.

• 1Like

kemuel

Lord Nagafen Raider

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Tomorrow's patch includes

-Chaos Dungeon exchange vendor rewards have been adjusted to be character bound. Shards earned from Chaos Dungeons are Roster bound, so players can share them with other characters on their Roster in order to redeem rewards from the exchange on alternate characters.

-Reverted the dash distance changes on the Radiant Golden Cloud mount. The cooldown for the dash remains at 5 seconds.

The Radiant Golden Cloud mount has gone up 5k gold already. The infinite chaos rewards should have been done weeks ago but good.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Yeah someone(s) already bought all the chaos dungeon drop skins that were 50-100g. Currently 1.5k+ so I'm assuming they can be stuffed in the jar.

Two changes that should have been immediate, but they are fixing the S. Vern questline that has been broken for a week and they fixed the korean voice pack issue that was causing certain npcs to turn the game into a slideshow which was obnoxious as hell during boss rush/chaos.