LOTTERY WINNER...what if ?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What I would spend my money on depends on how big the prize is... If it's something small (relatively speaking) like a million dollars, I'd probably put a couple hundred thousand away for my future children's education, pay off my wife's student loans, buy her a new car, and then build a house that I could live in for the next 30 years and continue my life as normal.

if its some stupid amount of money I'm going with my original plan because I would be too overwhelmed to know what to do.

Sterling

El Presidente
Also would need an Ocelot. Would have to make sure it wasn't a foxfaced asshole variety though.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also would need an Ocelot. Would have to make sure it wasn't a foxfaced asshole variety though.
Oh shit, I'd totally get a silver fox.

rrr_img_7636.jpg

YIMMY_sl

shitlord
live right on the beach in hawaii, pay off bills, make my family happy and eventually have a record collection that is bigger than the population of the entire island.

oh and hookers of course. ONLY THE BEST THOUGH.

ZERO_sl

shitlord
What I would spend my money on depends on how big the prize is... If it's something small (relatively speaking) like a million dollars, I'd probably put a couple hundred thousand away for my future children's education, pay off my wife's student loans, buy her a new car, and then build a house that I could live in for the next 30 years and continue my life as normal.

if its some stupid amount of money I'm going with my original plan because I would be too overwhelmed to know what to do.
Post again later ...when your wife leaves the room..

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I still think it's dumb to buy more than one ticket though because that first ticket increases your odds almost infinitely, but each subsequent ticket adds practically nothing to your odds of winning.
I remember the last time this discussion happened on this forum and it got this far:
If I buy one ticket for the powerball, my odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 175,223,510. What are they if I buy two tickets?

Djay

Trakanon Raider
I remember the last time this discussion happened on this forum and it got this far:
If I buy one ticket for the powerball, my odds of winning the jackpot are 1 in 175,223,510. What are they if I buy two tickets?
2 in 175,223,510 or 1 in 87,611,755

Assuming you make sure your tickets have a different combination of numbers.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Hmm, this is something me and my friend have discussed at length. If it was the 580 million dollar lotto they had last year. Id probably build several small businesses. The first would be a Gun Range for my dad, a place for him to retire too, as well enough cash for him to be well off. As well as a piece of land in Alaska for him to visit. Id build me a miniature game shop/video game store/magic the gathering card shop, since Ive always wanted to work at one of these. Id hire a company to run them under my guidelines and such to a degree. Im not worried too much about profit with that kind of money.

Id quit my job and just travel for a year relatively cheaply. Move all my stuff into storage, buy a nice camera and laptop and some good travelling clothes and backpack, and just journey around the world. Id disappear too as well. Wouldn't tell anyone I won just yet. Just disappear. When I got back is when I would start doing all of this. Giving out small bonuses to family and such. Like 10-20k for colleges for alot of nieces and nephews and cousins. Wouldnt go hog wild with my money I think. Ive never been a big into partying. Probably throw a huge FoH party for you guys too though lol.

Ive also though of opening my own video gaming studio like Curt did but without the fail. Of course were all jaded folks who want to play it out way too so who knows how well it would do but it would be fun. Also thought about funding a Halo movie too. Just some odd idea's Id toss around.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
From what I've heard from other lottery winners I would probably lose my relationships with most of my friends and family (whether or not I gave them money), burn myself out on my favorite hobbies in a couple years, lose all satisfaction in the things my money could buy me, and all satisfaction in life in general, and then spend a lot of time dealing with people who want to either trick me or guilt me into giving my money to them, making it so there is no one I can trust and no relationship that I can believe in.

That's why I don't play.

I still think it's dumb to buy more than one ticket though because that first ticket increases your odds almost infinitely, but each subsequent ticket adds practically nothing to your odds of winning.
The first ticket increases your odds from 0% to 0.000000057%. It's technically an infinite difference because you're dividing by zero, but in practical terms your odds are almost identical whether you play or not.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From what I've heard from other lottery winners I would probably lose my relationships with most of my friends and family (whether or not I gave them money), burn myself out on my favorite hobbies in a couple years, lose all satisfaction in the things my money could buy me, and all satisfaction in life in general, and then spend a lot of time dealing with people who want to either trick me or guilt me into giving my money to them, making it so there is no one I can trust and no relationship that I can believe in.

That's why I don't play.

The first ticket increases your odds from 0% to 0.000000057%. It's technically an infinite difference because you're dividing by zero, but in practical terms your odds are almost identical whether you play or not.
So does this only happen to just Lottery winners? Or wealthy to rich people, too? Id rather just think a little more positive than that...

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
So does this only happen to just Lottery winners? Or wealthy to rich people, too? Id rather just think a little more positive than that...
Well, there are some unique factors that affect just the Lottey winners. First and foremost, they don't know how to be rich, how to protect their money, they don't understand that being rich actually costs you money, they don't have the necessary connections and know-how.

Furthermore, if someone gained his fortune through bussiness-savy, the envy of his peers comes with a certain degree of respect. Sure, I freaking hate the owner of the company I work for, but in the same time, I respect him for what he accomplished. Noone respects the Lottery winner, there is just envy, hatred and malice.

Edit... oh well, just to be on topic...

I much rather win 400.000 Euros than 400 million Euros. But if I were to win that absurd ammount of money, I would spend it on, in no particular order, marihuana, a kick-ass computer/Entertainment center, a huge number of books, a visit to the Kink Studios in San Franciso, a house in Barcelona, a yacht to take me to Palma de Mallorca, a winter house near a Swiss lake, a trip to Japan, getting friends with George R.R. Martin, and the rest on the needs of my family.

Jaded_sl

shitlord
After living 35 years of my life as is... I honestly have settled into a comfort zone that I would continue even after winning. First and foremost my immediate family would get half. That half would then be divided in half with one portion going to my brother and his wife and the other going to my parents. I would buy a modest 4 bedroom house, a dependable sedan, ensure that each room in the house had at least one 75 gallon or more reef/ fresh water planted aquarium. Push the rest into investments, buy a top of the line PC with all the trimmings... an HDTV of epic proportion with surround sound. Take one mandatory trip to WWII sites, especially my grandfathers location during The Battle of the Bulge. Go home, live off interest and die a happy man. Then after my death... half of my assets would go to my wife, the other half to charities.

If the winnings were say 300 million or more... fuck you all Im buying my way into Hollywood.

Phoenix Prime_sl

shitlord
Thats why I said Id make a mini/gaming store or something when I got done traveling. Invest in a movie or a game studio or something afterwards if I won big. Even if it all fails in the end Id make sure I had enough set aside to be comfortable for the rest of my natural life. Running the mini shop would be my new job basically where Im just a casual employee working on my own schedule. Besides how cool would it be to be the guy who helped to fund a Halo movie and get it off the ground.