Love, Death & Robots

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So I watched Seasons 2 and 3 back to back; I didn't realize there had been a Season 2 even. All together, it was a much better 17 episode single season than it would have been just watching season 2 alone, thank goodness. Season 3 was way better indeed. Such a mixed bag, I will have to go back and look at which was which to really figure it out but super glad I found this series in the first place. Lots of really cool sci-fi, which we seemingly got all the time in the 80's and other than the occasional gem like a good Black Mirror episode, don't hardly get at all today. Makes me rethink Netflix isn't a total waste.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I hated the three robots one more than Jibaro. Jibaro had things going for it like it looked fantastic, had interesting use of sound and was fucking weird as shit. The three robots one just felt like I was being lectured by some annoying millennial.

All in all it was an excellent season.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Cybsled

The alternate view I had on 3 Robots is basically the end message was: everyone thought they had figured out how to survive the end of the world, but had overlooked that their plans still had massive flaws in them and were either too arrogant or naive to account for them

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I put this on for shit and giggles and damn.. that "bad travelling" episode.. holy fuck..

That shit is Oscar quality short story material.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rime

<Donor>
Bad Travelling was the best of the season, followed by In Vaulted Halls Entombed, then Mason's Rats for me.

Worst was easily Jibaro. I can see what they were trying for, but the animation was 'eh' and the jittery nature sucked. Three Robots was also not as good as the previous iteration of it.

I enjoyed the season overall and if they were each a novel, I probably would have read them and enjoyed them.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Caliane

The alternate view I had on 3 Robots is basically the end message was: everyone thought they had figured out how to survive the end of the world, but had overlooked that their plans still had massive flaws in them and were either too arrogant or naive to account for them
yes "everyone". thats why we focused on, Rednecks, guns, plastics, libertarians, capitalists, 1%, and US government. Sakkath was right. like being lectured to by a Cali millennial who has no comprehension of the world outside the US at all. obsessed with cats memes on the internet.

If they DID have the audacity to mock the EU, or India's plastic problem, or China, or Africa, or communists, Brazil's burning, or wind/solars massive land destruction, then it would have something to say. but no, every accusation was directed at the US. Because the writer has no comprehension the US is not the leader in these issues.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Well I just watched this.

They were all good except Three Robots.

Consider that Three Robots was placed as the FIRST of the new season. As soon as it ended I said to myself that if there was one more preachy point in the second episode I was going to turn it off. I am glad that I was wrong and the rest of them were all good in their own way.

I have the same opinion as Rime - Bad Travelling was the best, followed by the Old God in In Vaulted Halls Entombed even if it had that moron Jai Courtney animated in it. I didn't mind Jibaro as much as some of you - I assume it was based on some South American lore of which I have no knowledge and found it actually interesting.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well I just watched this.

They were all good except Three Robots.

Consider that Three Robots was placed as the FIRST of the new season. As soon as it ended I said to myself that if there was one more preachy point in the second episode I was going to turn it off. I am glad that I was wrong and the rest of them were all good in their own way.

I have the same opinion as Rime - Bad Travelling was the best, followed by the Old God in In Vaulted Halls Entombed even if it had that moron Jai Courtney animated in it. I didn't mind Jibaro as much as some of you - I assume it was based on some South American lore of which I have no knowledge and found it actually interesting.
there's no specific lore. just a twist on a siren story with greed being the justification for the conquistadors dying. it's not a bad story per se... the animation was top notch but the cinematography being so spastic and janky i think is what turns so many people off by it. the same guy did one of the episodes in season 1, and that one was much better received because the cinematography style fit the setting much better. with jibaro the style is really incongruent with the conquistadors so it just leaves you feeling uncomfortable

• 2Like

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
I gotta say I was really surprised something like Jibaro got included in a mainstream Netflix anthology. Could tell it was a Spanish production right out the gate, though that might've halfway been the conquistador stylings. Aguirre Wrath of God on acid. Crazy shit like this is what you're getting from smaller European animation studios for 10+ years now, mostly the French and Spanish. They're much more free in terms of experimentation with concepts and process. I gotta say they're getting crazy good with the mocap integrations. Exciting shit to see knowing where the technology was at when I was coming up in school.
Can see how the crazy editing style was way the fuck over the top for your standard viewer, though.

Not a bad season. They've done the 'group of mercs gets killed by Unknown Evil' thing to death, though.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Jibaro: As an entry in an "experimental animation" show this is my favorite. I actually did some reading on this and the background to the dancers was interesting. As an enjoyable show this was painful to watch. I wish they embraced the deafness of the Conquistador more a toned down some of the annoying visual effects, but whatever. I thought there was some parallels between the this episode and the silent films of the early 1900s that had sped up or inconsistent speed video.

Swarm: This ended right when it got interesting for me, but I don't know where they'd take it.

In Vaulted Halls Entombed: Good to see Elden Ring taking over all media.

The Very Pulse of the Machine: Another good entry into "experimental animation" but kind of flat otherwise.

Bad Travelling: Super enjoyable and clever.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I liked the idea of Jibaro and never mind when my sci-fi/fantasy is an unexplained but weird fucking story. The only part I did not get was why he got his hearing back? Was it drinking her blood in the water? Also, why would anyone ever drink water that was obvious bloody?

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I liked the idea of Jibaro and never mind when my sci-fi/fantasy is an unexplained but weird fucking story. The only part I did not get was why he got his hearing back? Was it drinking her blood in the water? Also, why would anyone ever drink water that was obvious bloody?
I think he didn't see it was bloody until he started drinking it, which is dumb AF. He got his hearing back because magic. The blood in the river part is kind of cool if only because there are thousands of preserved-looking corpses in the water, probably many from natives in the area so she probably cast corpse explosion on them. Or something.

• 1Like

Cybsled

One reason to appreciate it is the original ElDorado “myth” had origins in Conquistadors supposedly observing a ritual where a royal figure, covered in gold dust/other riches, would step into the water and the water would wash away the gold dust and they would leave the other riches as an offering.

This eventually got blown out of proportion into the stories of El Dorado = City of Gold

If you go with the original myth/story, the Siren sort of works because the offerings are what she dresses herself in

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Jibaro came off as someone trying to recreate paranoia on cocaine.

Watching this now for the first time it started me off on season 3 first and worked backward. And how do you go from snow and pop squad to automated customer service? Though it did seem to go pretty heavy handed with the"inspiration" imo. The first few seconds of pop squad made is go oh this bladerunner. Aquila made me think mass effect.

Also A+ r34 with beyond the aquila rift. Wonder why there isn't more stuff being made in this vein, the animation is all pretty good.

• 2Like

Caliane

Got around to finishing these off.

1.Three robots. I think my thoughts have already been said.
2. Bad Traveling. Blur studios. pretty great story as noted. Honestly, I wasn't certain the crab had bad intentions... where did it learn to speak? how did it know the name and of the island? great art.
3. the very pulse of the machine. pretty solid Moebius style tribute. good story.
4. Night of the mini dead. meh. silly. forced perspective hiding any real animation work.
5. kill team kill. good art. Terrible unfunny internet meme dialogue. From Titmouse, not surprising..
6. Swarm. weird human figures.. decent concept. A few issues. the scientists just go into this Hive, to live among the apes? no weapons, no comms, no recording, no lab? wtf. Dumb fucks deserve to die. Humanity would win. Humans don't have a genetic memory. we have ancestry knowledge via communication. The Hive cloning the scientists and breeding children would be nearly useless to it. would it have clever minions? sure. would they know anything about space travel, or weapons? no. The Hive has been around for a very long time. ok, great. what have you done? nothing. the Hive does not care to make great works. its barely or not sentient. it is happy with just existing. Humanity is not. Which unless the Hive breeds that out of its slave humans, it is biting off more than it can chew. the Humans will take over the hive from within. you took space faring species and turned them into scavengers? ok, congrats? you consider that an achievement? oh, you outlasted them? well, so did that rock over there. congrats, your species is on par with a rock. Humanities individuality, allows it to expand in all directions at once. the biggest issue is these two dumbasses were assimilated without having their conversations monitored, or recorded. so, humanity doesn't know the Hive can do this. If the Hive were to absorb more experts, then it could be a problem.
7. masons rats. solid animation.
8. in vaulted halls entombed. ok animation. pretty cliche old god story.
9. Jibaro. might be my favorite. Stellar animation. god damn those environments looked real. the otherworldly dancing of an alien supernatural being.

• 1Like

Cybsled

The crab definitely had bad intentions for the island - it wanted to feed it's brood and it clearly had no qualms about brutally eating people alive. I did read one thing that the short story the animation was based on had explained the island had ocean dwelling predators that lived around it which would have eaten the crab. It needed the boat to bypass the predators (although not sure what the plan was for leaving the island)

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob

season 1 was the only one i thought was great but i'll keep watching as long as the seasons are fairly short, usually 2-3 good shorts

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Yeah and with the episodes being so short, even if one does kinda suck, it's not a huge time investment. It's no big deal if they spend the entire episode to set up one sort of interesting twist.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah and with the episodes being so short, even if one does kinda suck, it's not a huge time investment. It's no big deal if they spend the entire episode to set up one sort of interesting twist.
that's how short stories work and it's one of the biggest reasons why i love this show. the entire premise is just short stories that leave you wanting more and probably one of the biggest reasons why the 3 robots sequel didn't work. you watch a lot of these stories and you think, i'd love to watch a full season of just this, like snow in the desert, for example. but so much of these things are built on the "what if" nature of it, leaving you to fill in the blanks with your imagination. as soon as those blanks start getting filled in, the magic is gone. it's literally (literarily?) midichlorians.

and yeah, if there's an episode that you just aren't feeling, you can just skip it without missing anything. and even if you sit through it, it's not a huge time sink. and even if you aren't really into the story or whatever is going on, there's always something to appreciate about the art style and direction. i know a lot of people don't really like the zima blue episode from season 1 and the giant whales one in season 2 from the same guy, but it's pretty outstanding that it was basically made by just one person.

this episode of react wasn't my favorite, it was kind of dull BUT there's some interesting tidbits sprinkled about

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Mostly got caught up on this series today. The swarm, and snow in the desert, were my favorites. This show is great.

And add me to the list of people that hated Jibaro