Love, Death & Robots

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I saw Ice a little different. The modded brother put himself "in harm's way" to give his unmodded brother a "push" so he could give it his all without feeling like "why bother, I'm not as good as the modded kids".

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It's the opposite of Gattaca - the story of that is that the human spirit can't be predicted via genetics and the drive to succeed can overcome your innate traits.

The story of Ice is that you can't compete with the superior race in any way, even if one of them tries to make you feel better about yourself.

A lot of the stories felt like Ice to me. “The future is bleak and hopeless,” is the message that came across most consistently.

In fact a lot of Netflix originals are unfortunately that way. It grates on me enough that I don’t particularly care for Netflix Originals bc I know they’re going to be Nihilistic af.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I saw Ice a little different. The modded brother put himself "in harm's way" to give his unmodded brother a "push" so he could give it his all without feeling like "why bother, I'm not as good as the modded kids".

The end where he stopped limping was jarring to me. Either way it wasn’t a very encouraging message.

Even if the brother did help him, the storyline didn’t redeem the cultural condition, where putting yourself into harms way is the only way to feel alive or have fun. It was just a little wink and chuckle to the normie.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
I quite liked Zima Blue for what it was. It had a nice arc and actually hit the "Love, Death & Robots"-theme pretty well. Ice wasn't nearly as good IMO.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I quite liked Zima Blue for what it was. It had a nice arc and actually hit the "Love, Death & Robots"-theme pretty well. Ice wasn't nearly as good IMO.
i re-watched season 1 a few days before season 2 dropped. i initially remember not liking zima blue at all, but second time around i think i appreciated the message a bit more. there's something interesting about the idea that the thirst and drive for knowledge doesn't actually DO anything for you but make you miserable. it's like a flowers for algernon type of situation.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I binged both seasons and its been pretty good.

I think one definite flaw this series has is that they try to do surprise endings that you didn't expect. In some cases it works, but in others it just fucks the whole story up.

spronk

FPS noob
its interesting little vignettes, season 1 was way more like Heavy Metal with its violence, sex, horror, and nudity and that was pretty awesome. Season 2 was more like Black Mirror and pretty tame in comparison, although the animation for Snow was insane. If you don't have the chops to write good stuff at least they made it way shorter. The showrunner changed from season 1 to season 2, and you can pretty much guess what happened (an asian chick took over).

Glad I watched both, never felt like I was wasting time.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
with season 1, it felt like the stories were the star. the animation was obviously top notch, but it didn't NEED to be. with season 2, the stories all took a back seat to how advanced the animation was. it'd be nice if we could just get both going on in the same season... maybe 3 will deliver /shrug

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Would love a full season of snow in the desert, even if the animation budget was cut. I just need more mad max / kenshi violence and sex in my life.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Good stuff.

If you guys want a little something to tide you over, look up animated short films on youtube. A lot of groups have been dumping some high quality shorts on the web that are really good.

• 2Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, I laughed at night of the mini dead...

The 1st season was great. The 2nd one had a few moments. This looks better at least.

• 1Like

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
where are the scenes with the two lesbians from ? Are they from season 3 or are they from the already released seasons ?
11.jpg

Cybsled

Wasn't that from the season 1 episode where the woman controls that monster thing, but it turns out the monster was the actual one in control and the woman is the puppet?

• 1Like