Love, Death & Robots

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Finally saw Good Hunting. Don't think I've ever seen something as purely Steampunk as this actually get made. Very impressive

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm still bothered there weren't/aren't more episodes. Gimme gimme gimme. This shit is great. If you haven't watched, absolutely do. They're all 8-15min long, so no excuse not to. Every. Single. Episode. All of them. Are incredible. Each very unique, though they have varying intensity on the love, death, or robots. Even the Ice Age episode with Topher Grace had an emotional impact in spite of Topher Grace being Topher Grace.

My favorite episode... Couldn't say. The Starcraft episode I probably enjoyed the most. Laughed the most during Three Robots. Sonnie's Edge is probably the best as a complete story.

Either way, completely happy to re-watch episodes at random to show to friends based on what I feel they might appreciate most. Like showing off art, in a way.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I want more, all of them were great. Good Hunting was the best Avatar we never got. Aquila Rift is obvious, The Secret War was nuts, Suits & Lucky 13 are the feel good stories.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Loved this show and felt like the newest season of black mirror was in its shadow in every respect.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've said it before but this is the very definition of good sci-fi. Using the strange and unfamiliar to show you the common and familiar

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

Looks like 2 additional seasons...one in May, one in 2022

• 6Like
  • 1I Came
Reactions: 6 users

j00t

oh snap.

i was just thinking about this series the other week and lamenting how i hadn't heard anything about a second season, and lo and behold it's dropping next month. hot dog

spronk

FPS noob
yeah its weird but i enjoyed it, very anime/cyberpunk and pretty short episodes and season. glad to hear season 2 & 3 are coming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

it's out now. on a technical level it was all pretty great but honestly only one or two stories grabbed me as noteworthy. fairly disappointed, honestly... i LOVED the first season. it's not awful, just... doesn't stand out on it's own i don't think.

also for what it's worth, there's only 8 episodes. my thoughts are that due to covid they split the season in two and we'll get the other half next year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Yeah. Definitely a weaker season. Technically awesome, of course. And some episodes started really strong, lots of potential, but none truly landed as the best episodes of season 1 did.

Still, don't regret watching them.

• 2Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
When do we a full werewolves in the desert movie damnit

• 1Like
  • 1Garbage

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I found most of these pretty disappointing. Life Hutch was masterclass animation, but the story was a bit 'uh, ok'. I think I liked Snow in the Desert the best.

• 2Like

j00t

Yeah I found most of these pretty disappointing. Life Hutch was masterclass animation, but the story was a bit 'uh, ok'. I think I liked Snow in the Desert the best.
i liked... uh.. i think pop squad was the name? the one with nolan north about the breeders. i liked it because it felt like there was an actual emotional arc. snow in the desert was good, too, but i feel like there wasn't much of any emotional drive. that's honestly my biggest issue. it was all very nice to look at but was generally pretty simple sci-fi.

life hutch is a perfect example, i think, of why this season failed comparatively.

this is all spoilers i guess.

so life hutch is about surviving damaged AI. it feeds on the fear that machines might try to kill us one day. there's nothing wrong with a story about that, per se, but it's pretty cliche at this point. on top of the fact that that theme was already explored in Automated Customer Service, the very first episode.

Sonnie's Edge and Beyond the Aquila rift from the first season get so much attention because there is a story being told that carry's you RIGHT to the gut punch of the reveal. they are great examples of how to do sci-fi short stories.

pop squad is a good story, i think but maybe suffers a little from it being slow, which doesn't make a short story memorable. i think it'd make a pretty great movie if it delved into the setting and background a bit more, though it might end up being derivative.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Dunno. Pop squad was one of those I was expecting "more" from, not least because it is a reasonably interesting (though probably not super-original) set-up.

Blade Runner but hunting illegal kids, kids vs. immortality. Some getting pregnant jokes and obviously/predictably, main guy is gonna go soft on killing kids and a speech on "living forever isn't "truly living". But then ... that's it? I feel like this needed another wrinkle in the story. Something .. dunno .. to make the themes come together.

Also, funny enough, Snow in the Desert shared many themes .. i.e. people going all-in on getting immortality while those that have it aren't actually too thrilled. But it IMO similarly wasted the interesting world-building and set-up, though the action was a bit more fun in that one.