Lucifer

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm like halfway through season 2. I enjoy it well enough. The main actress chick was in Chicago Fire before this, I've liked her in both.

The show really isn't what I was expecting, feels like it was just going after the Castle audience. Which is fine.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
On some good news. Netflix has been in talks to go for another season of Lucifer after this. So we may be getting a Season 5 and 6!

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Never understood why they would cancel after 5 seasons. Show has a built in fan base. I cannot imagine it costs that much to make, and there is plenty that they can do with it. Unless they are worried about Chloe's face mutating further.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Contracts probably ended and the opportunities change fast. Seems to be what usually happens.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Damn. Aimee Garcia, the forensics chick, is in her 40's. She looks like she could easily be in her 20's

spronk

FPS noob
Never understood why they would cancel after 5 seasons. Show has a built in fan base. I cannot imagine it costs that much to make, and there is plenty that they can do with it. Unless they are worried about Chloe's face mutating further.

Netflix has pretty much figured out that beyond one or two marquee shows - Stranger Things and the like - shows don't attract new subscribers past 3 or 4 seasons. For many people shows beyond that are one of those "i want to watch it but it has too many episodes so I'll put it off", whereas a show with 3-4 seasons total is something you can binge in a week and be done with.

In this day and age of absolutely overwhelming options I totally understand it, some of the bigger shows feel like a big committment if you never got into it. They figured out one trick with Narcos, instead of continuing past 3 they created a spin off show, Narcos Mexico, that pays off if you watch the original show but doesn't require it. Better Call Saul I would say is similar.

I think we'll see more and more of that, shows ending at 4-5 seasons and getting spin offs if they are wildly successful. At this point, who the hell is going to start watching Hawaii 5-0 or Walking Dead or Grey's Anatomy for the first time ever with their 10+ seasons each? Shit people get married for less time than it would take to binge the whole thing.

It also saves vast amounts of money since shows usually lock in contracts for 3-4 seasons, and renewal is the time when the people involved can really up their rates. Should be interesting to see how that affects things money wise if the big streamers never put a show out past 5 seasons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Netflix has pretty much figured out that beyond one or two marquee shows - Stranger Things and the like - shows don't attract new subscribers past 3 or 4 seasons. For many people shows beyond that are one of those "i want to watch it but it has too many episodes so I'll put it off", whereas a show with 3-4 seasons total is something you can binge in a week and be done with.

In this day and age of absolutely overwhelming options I totally understand it, some of the bigger shows feel like a big committment if you never got into it. They figured out one trick with Narcos, instead of continuing past 3 they created a spin off show, Narcos Mexico, that pays off if you watch the original show but doesn't require it. Better Call Saul I would say is similar.

I think we'll see more and more of that, shows ending at 4-5 seasons and getting spin offs if they are wildly successful. At this point, who the hell is going to start watching Hawaii 5-0 or Walking Dead or Grey's Anatomy for the first time ever with their 10+ seasons each? Shit people get married for less time than it would take to binge the whole thing.

It also saves vast amounts of money since shows usually lock in contracts for 3-4 seasons, and renewal is the time when the people involved can really up their rates. Should be interesting to see how that affects things money wise if the big streamers never put a show out past 5 seasons.

All very good points. It makes me think of Supernatural. I started watching that more than a couple times and was like "when does this get good?". Was told a few seasons in. Fuck that monster of the week shit lol.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Supernatural never gets good. Grimm is a much better version of a similar show.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Speaking of which, I heard rumblings of a possible Grimm spinoff in the works

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Speaking of which, I heard rumblings of a possible Grimm spinoff in the works

Well I mean Grimm ended with a wide open path for more stuff. Although Bitsy won't be coming back.. She's playing Lois Lane now.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, you don't watch supernatural because it gets good.

You watch supernatural because you are entertained by how bad it is. Also all the gay brothers incest subtext.

They kinda mastered the B movie in television serial form. It's amazing how long they were both willing and ABLE to keep it going. There's a clip somewhere of zappa talking about it onstage, he's talking about those old monster movies. And he says something along the lines of "it's beautiful when you can see the shadow of the hand on the wall that's controlling the giant spider on the screen. There's something really special about that."

Raes

Vyemm Raider
You guys are overlooking the fact that Lucifer was originally on Fox and cancelled after 3 seasons. The question is, why the hell did Netflix even bother to pick it up, if they were only going to do 2 more seasons? Just so they can own and show all 5 seasons? Fucking show is a shitload better than most of the Netflix originals.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Same reason any network picks up any series. They believed there was a way to make money off of it. Whether or not that pans out determines how long the show stays on the air.

Cybsled

Could be that fans of the show on Fox didn't know Lucifer was on Netflix now and recently started to give it views. I wouldn't be surprised if the average person had no idea it was on Netflix.

• 1Like

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Could be that fans of the show on Fox didn't know Lucifer was on Netflix now and recently started to give it views. I wouldn't be surprised if the average person had no idea it was on Netflix.

You could be on to something. My Mom just started watching it a week ago... and I noticed an uptick in show mentions in various feeds recently.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I had no idea the show existed, but I think someone mentioned it when he was in the DC crossover, so I looked it up and it seemed interesting. Now I'm watching it all