Mad Max

spronk

FPS noob

people are saying the game is 70-100 hours to get to 100% complete but dunno how much if you just play the main story. i've got both this and MGS V preordered, will swap back and forth between em

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
If you took the preorder leap on this through GMG or on Steam, the preload is up. GMG sent out codes overnight it appears.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Game is fun as shit. Car controls felt a bit off, but I'm willing to attribute that to PS4 controller + 30fps. Vehicle combat is insanely fun with a ton of different weapons and huge customization on cars. Can rip off armor plates/shoot out tires/light them on fire etc. Melee combat is just a copypaste of Batman like everyone expected, but it does the job and looks pretty enough.

The "wasteland" part of the world starts getting procedural generation after you leave the "main" map or whatever you want to call it, where it gits shittier and more baren and has huge sandstorms and shit the further out you go, but it just keeps going and going and going. Apparently you find better and better stuff the further out you go, but I never made it very far due to death/lack of fuel to get there.

No idea what any of the story is, as the sandbox they gave us skipped all that, but the dialogue between Max and his helper monkey dude was hilarious. He sounds like some kind of defected warboy that joins up with you, and it's great.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Game is fun as shit. Car controls felt a bit off, but I'm willing to attribute that to PS4 controller + 30fps. Vehicle combat is insanely fun with a ton of different weapons and huge customization on cars. Can rip off armor plates/shoot out tires/light them on fire etc. Melee combat is just a copypaste of Batman like everyone expected, but it does the job and looks pretty enough.

The "wasteland" part of the world starts getting procedural generation after you leave the "main" map or whatever you want to call it, where it gits shittier and more baren and has huge sandstorms and shit the further out you go, but it just keeps going and going and going. Apparently you find better and better stuff the further out you go, but I never made it very far due to death/lack of fuel to get there.

No idea what any of the story is, as the sandbox they gave us skipped all that, but the dialogue between Max and his helper monkey dude was hilarious. He sounds like some kind of defected warboy that joins up with you, and it's great.
I was going to skip this until later as I have already pre-ordered MGS and I have so many long RPGs on my backlog now too. Still not going to pre-order, but depending on reviews / youtube previews that come, I might end up buying it at release anyways. Certainly not going to order it until I get some port reports for the PC version. Rather get a console version than a broken port (I just assume that most AAA games these days are made for consoles first and ported to PC, which is a shame).

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
PC version isn't a port. It was made simultaneously with console versions. It uses the same engine that Just Cause 3 will use!

Arkham Knight was a port, by the way. By an outside firm.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I tried to go back and play some more today, wanted to try the more melee-focused demo they had, but the lines were out of control and I didn't feel like standing by Neckbeard McQuartlyshowers for 2 hours waiting my turn. Maybe tomorrow morning will be better, but so far it's been the most fun of what I've gotten to play.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I tried to go back and play some more today, wanted to try the more melee-focused demo they had, but the lines were out of control and I didn't feel like standing by Neckbeard McQuartlyshowers for 2 hours waiting my turn. Maybe tomorrow morning will be better, but so far it's been the most fun of what I've gotten to play.
You at PAX or something?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm happy to know that my $30 dollar leap of faith is not going to disappoint.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Watched a stream yesterday for about an hour. Think he was a few hours in when I started watching (PS4). Guessing a physical copy broken street date.
90% of the time I watched was for a story mission. Get some christmas lights or somesuch from a bunker. Most of the time he spent running/driving around the bunker, not outside. It was big though.

"Negative" things that I noticed were

1) Seemed to be some frame drops. PS4 is locked to 30 fps, 1080p.

2) The underground area (maybe a metro system or something) was for the most part identical all the way through. Good lighting system in the game, but not sure if it is fully implemented in the PS4 version? IE: you go outside the car, put on flashlight, and the source of light illuminates as it should. However, when in a car chase with molotovs thrown, there was the initial explosion, but not sure if dynamic lighting effects were there.

3) Combat was like Batman only not? Kind of looked like Uncharted brawling mixed with Batman mechanics. Impossible to judge this in a positive or negative way though since it is apparently a large game, where the fighting system might evolve over time. That said, the IGN stream (which they started 2/3rds into the game, had identical fighting).

4) Does not seem to be a problem getting to objectives. Might be filled with "oh what is that!" stuff that make you sidetrack, but nothing that looks like it will hinder progress other than fuel / stopping to fight. If you keep on running, it seems enemies are on a tight leash from where they spawn.

That said. Will buy. It looked large. It looked like there was lots to do. However, most importantly, it looked fun. Stopped the stream not because I was bored with watching, but because I had seen enough to know I want to play it.

Hint to developers: If you want stream previews, give copies to random joe schmoe unnamed person and let them stream it (no voices or cam needed). MUCH better than the IGN / polygon streamers that keep on talking during the stream turning the entire thing into a sales pitch. Let the game speak for itself, and if it can't, don't release it yet.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The performance on the PS4 (probably xbox as well?) was pretty lackluster. Even the Pax demo was tanking below 30 in places, and the terrain popin while driving was just horrible. Obviously can't say whether the PC version will be any good, but here's to hoping eh?

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The performance on the PS4 (probably xbox as well?) was pretty lackluster. Even the Pax demo was tanking below 30 in places, and the terrain popin while driving was just horrible. Obviously can't say whether the PC version will be any good, but here's to hoping eh?
Yeah, based on what I saw yesterday, the PC is the way to go. But waiting on reviews beforehand. Not a fan of review embargos until launch. Especially when there is no "story" to hide the reasoning behind it.

Not always, but for the most part, games that are in their 90++% have reviews that come out before launch. The Last of Us I think had reviews 2 weeks before launch.

MGS reviews are out though, and game pre-ordered. I can wait for Mad Max to get patched if it needs.

Tons of streams on Twitch now though for those that want to take a peek.

Vorph

Heh, <3 GameFly. Bumped my plan up to 2 at a time temporarily and they shipped me both Mad Max and MGS5.

I wouldn't read too much into an embargo on reviews since practically every game has one up to the day before, unless they don't drop it this afternoon sometime. If it doesn't drop until midnight, then I'd say that plus the general shadiness of WBIE probably means trouble. Seeing lots of people talk about fps drops on both consoles, so that may be what they want to hide.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Reviews ticking in

Mad Max (Review) - ReadersGambit

Pros
- Brilliant Combat
- Great Character Design

Cons
- Frame Rate Drops
- Boring Scenery
- Repetitious Tasks/Missions
Mad Max Review (PS4) - ThisGenGaming

Mad Max isn?t going to be a game I call a must buy on release date or even something you must play. It?s definitely worth giving a try because it can be quite fun to play at times. I liked the customization features for both Max and the cars, and I thought the game managed to be familiar but have a unique take on different things like combat for example. Although my thoughts of the game started strong, they dropped more and more as I advanced through the game. I?d say for now to hold off on your purchase until it drops in price.

+ Mad Max has a unique take on successful features of popular games

+ Customization features

-Story missions feel repetitive and aren?t fun to play

-Driving becomes tedious quite quickly
Info on day1 patch

http://thisgengaming.com/2015/08/29/...udio-and-more/

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm not gonna gay this thread up with fanboyism, but those reviews are from sites I've never even heard of.

I'll play it for myself and decide at this point. Frame rate drops on consoles aren't a justification for lowering scores, ever, unless they make the games unplayable. Especially since I wouldn't play this on a console anyway. That shit's just a hella gay thing to complain about.

Worse comes to worst, I got the game 50% off and its an open world post apocalyptic survival action game. I can't possibly dislike something like that simply for being mediocre.

Vorph

Eh, I'd say sub-30 drops are definitely worth complaining about on any system. From what I understand the xbone is even worse than what people are seeing on ps4, since they decided to push it to 1080p instead of 900p like almost every other multi-plat game. But yeah, I agree that I wouldn't put much stock into reviews from those sites. I'll see for myself on Wed anyway.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
TBH I can't tell frame rate has dropped till you start hitting low 20s and below. Like 24 fps and below.

My eye site is pretty bad though.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Can confirm the PS4 version definitely had framerate issues, even in the confined demo they were mostly letting people play. It wasn't super frequent, but some of the driving sections definitely hit sub 20 fps.